Oil Leak in Engine Compartment

Each time I wash our Spark, I clean and dry the engine compartment. After washing it this afternoon, I lifted the hood and noticed dusty a coating of oil around the side of the engine compartment with the Dipstick & Fill Cap. It covered a radius of about 18". Both the Cap & Dipstick were down tight, and the oil level was right at the mark where it has always been. It's been about two weeks since the last wash, with nothing abnormal in our driving, but this hasn't occurred before. It kind of looks like blow-by from a loose cap. Has anyone else noted anything similar?

Our Spark is a 2LT - Automatic. We took delivery the first week in January, it has just over 3,000,miles on it, virtually all rural country driving. We are averaging 38.8 MPG, and it has been absolutely trouble-free.

Edited by TN Frank

From the way you explain it, I doubt it is oil. If your level is where it should be, and the cap and dipstick are tight, you can rule that out. Is your coolant tank capped tightly? That would also leave an oily appearing residue. All you can due, is clean it up, check all levels, and then check it every day for a few days. If it should happen again, check your levels carefully, to try to determine what it is. Dexcool would have an odor, but who knows. They dropped the ball on not putting in a temp gauge. Let us know what you find. Hopefully, it's just a fluke.

I've already have an appointment on Thursday to have my Navigation software downloaded, so I'll have the dealer also look at the leak to see what they think. I'll report on both after they finish the download.

Your coolant comment started me thinking, and it dawned on me that with warm weather finally reaching our area, we have been using the air conditioner for the first time during the past couple of weeks. That may well be where the leak is coming from. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by TN Frank

You don't want the oil spraying out of the A/C system, it will wreck the compressor. They may need to put a dye in some of the fluids to see where it is coming from, I wonder if they have enough colors to put a different dye in engine oil, coolant, and A/C???

The coating of oil in the engine compartment of our Spark was caused by a leaky Cam Shaft Actuator Sensor. I have to go back next week for something else, so I'll have them point out the sensor so I can post a picture of it on the Forum. They replaced the sensor and cleaned up the oily mess. They said it took a while to find because I had them looking for and tightening all of the air conditioning connections. So far, these guys have really been great.

• 3 weeks later...

I waited a couple of weeks to assure that the oil leak in my Spark's engine compartment was indeed fixed. Replacing the Exhaust Camshaft Actuator Sensor did the trick. It remains as clean as a whistle. The attached picture is the mechanic that did the work pointing out the sensor he replaced, for anyone else that experiences a similar problem.

post-419-0-83439100-1367963446_thumb.jpg

Edited by TN Frank

Glad to hear it's fixed. Thanks for the heads up, I will check this area whenever I check oil or open the hood. Could just be a random defective part, these things happen, and usually crop up within the first few months on new vehicles. My old car had a defective a/c compressor that would lock up, and caused the belt to snap, requiring a tow, after I had it a few months. After that one issue, it was trouble free until I bought this car a few years and 60k miles later. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking ours may be suffering the same issue...popped the hood to show my friend and it has the slightest wetting of oil around the same area with a tiny spot on the manifold heat shield directly below.

Im really not a fan of anybody working on our ish...but im going to call the dealer and see whats up

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, for the good old days, when a new valve cover gasket fixed 99% of all engine compartment leaks. :) Glad to hear you got it straightened out.

LOL

The coating of oil in the engine compartment of our Spark was caused by a leaky Cam Shaft Actuator Sensor. I have to go back next week for something else, so I'll have them point out the sensor so I can post a picture of it on the Forum. They replaced the sensor and cleaned up the oily mess. They said it took a while to find because I had them looking for and tightening all of the air conditioning connections. So far, these guys have really been great.

I actually went out and checked ours, and it's okay. Thanks for the tip.

• 4 weeks later...

post-483-0-13726300-1373562450_thumb.jpg

post-483-0-64550800-1373562496_thumb.jpg

I noticed when I opened my hood the other day, that I had, what looked to be oil, on my engine. So it made me think of this post. Mine doesn't look as bad as yours sounds, but I wonder.

It looks like it's coming from under that plastic S-Tec cover. Is this something to be concerned about? I have around 5100 miles, and it's been flawless thus far.

20130711_124257.jpg

20130711_124319.jpg

I noticed when I opened my hood the other day, that I had, what looked to be oil, on my engine. So it made me think of this post. Mine doesn't look as bad as yours sounds, but I wonder.

It looks like it's coming from under that plastic S-Tec cover. Is this something to be concerned about? I have around 5100 miles, and it's been flawless thus far.

That does not look like oil though. When I first got my Spark parts of the engine was covered in a transparent style grease protectant. I cleaned all mine off with a damp rag. I notice this on another Spark on the lot. It was like burnt on the shield. I also saw it on a review video of a Spark.

attachicon.gif20130711_124257.jpg

attachicon.gif20130711_124319.jpg

I have this same stuff on my manifold shield.

20130711_124257.jpg

20130711_124319.jpg

Before I was even reading this thread, I was out cleaning up the engine compartment and found a sticky residue right in that same area. I shook it off as being some sort of factory line or something that hasn't burnt off yet. It wasn't looking as bad as yours, but there was defdienently something there. Makes me wonder now.....

• 3 years later...
On 21.04.2013 at 2:15 AM, TN Frank said:

I am glad Frank shared his story @ this forum, as having put together the fact, that I also have got very similar symptoms. I've got an appointment with a tech tomorrow, so will see whether this is this sensor or no, but sounds extremely familiar to what I have. Anyways, hopefully the repair job and that sensor will not break the bank.