A/C problem figured out!! - See last post.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No the Internet can give you a valuable tool to combat stupid dealers.

I felt the same way, but up to now, I still have no regrets, I've never had as much fun with a car, as I've been having with the Spark. Although a pain in the ass, this a/c problem will be resolved. I

Our ac generally works great. But im starting to notice everyone in a while it blows not so cold...I wanna say like coming to a stop. However there are other times at idle itll freeze us out.

Posted Images

Yup, and then I'll be back, and back, and back again. And I'll be on the phone with GM each and every time pushing them to do something for me until it either has an unlimited warranty on the entire car, they give me a new car, or I hire a lawyer.

If they had sold this car for $1000 less without the A/C, I would have bought it and been happy, now I'm going to push the matter since I had no choice but to pay for it.

Something that urgs be is the fact that this has been a known problem for over 10 months. GM says they are coming out with a fix, but how long does that really take? What if it was a major brake issue were brakes loose stopping power. Think that would take 10 months? Heck no... They would have a fix in a week. I just feel GM is dropping the ball on this and not putting forward full effort on this issue. They need to either step up to the plate and find a permament fix or at least make an official notice and explain the real problem and what they are doing to fix it and how long it will take. Plain and simple...

Something that urgs be is the fact that this has been a known problem for over 10 months. GM says they are coming out with a fix, but how long does that really take? What if it was a major brake issue were brakes loose stopping power. Think that would take 10 months? Heck no... They would have a fix in a week. I just feel GM is dropping the ball on this and not putting forward full effort on this issue. They need to either step up to the plate and find a permament fix or at least make an official notice and explain the real problem and what they are doing to fix it and how long it will take. Plain and simple...

Agreed!

I still have a JD power survey and I'm going to fill it out. It stinks when I put in the issues. I still don't understand how this model Spark has been world wide since 2009 and in other markets no issue with the AC. I bet it has something to do with MPG and the government. After putting government restrictions on this car to get good numbers they had to adjust somewhere. You know GM stands for Government Motors.

Agreed! I still have a JD power survey and I'm going to fill it out. It stinks when I put in the issues. I still don't understand how this model Spark has been world wide since 2009 and in other markets no issue with the AC. I bet it has something to do with MPG and the government. After putting government restrictions on this car to get good numbers they had to adjust somewhere. You know GM stands for Government Motors

Or in order to keep US prices down, they had to go cheap with some parts or sub- manufactors... Hoping its what you say about government restrictions tho.

What should a car AC temp be at? And should it stay a steady temp?

not sure about steady but i know the lowest an A/C should go is universally 60 degrees. So with that in mind when you set the knob all the way blue, technically that should be 60

not sure about steady but i know the lowest an A/C should go is universally 60 degrees. So with that in mind when you set the knob all the way blue, technically that should be 60

60 degrees? That sems too warm for a AC... Mine jumps between 42 and 55 degrees. That waht i was trying to figure out. If 42 is what AC should be blowing and if it really should jump.

This is at idle, fresh air drawing in. Should be at least 30 degrees below outside air temperature. Mine only does cool cold thing in moderate temps, it blows ice cold while driving it in +90 degree temps. Once they figure out the fix for the excessive fluctuations in moderate temps I'll do something about it, it works well enough to live with. Dehumidifying is good with fresh air, but does much better on recirculate in 70 degree dew point. It would be nice if some owners in Europe and India could chime in on how their a/c performs. If those don't have the same problem, then what was changed on the north American version? Are owners complaing in Mexico? My neighbors to the south had these two years before we did. post-583-0-84211400-1374465884_thumb.jpgpost-583-0-36929000-1374465918_thumb.jpg

Edited by austex04

Hopefully that means there is a fix and mine will be great once they are done.

Hopefully, they get moving with this "fix", July is winding down, and in another six weeks or so the temps will start cooling down here in the north east, and so will the bitching. New buyers wont be aware, just as most of us weren't, and current users will have more important things on their mind. So it will be another season of waiting.

Dropped my car off this morning and just got off the phone with the service department. He said that the service manager himeslef took the car on a 20 mile test drive. Said my steering alighnment issues are probably from road groves from other trucks and that they checked the specifications and they are "dead on" factory sepcifications. Then he stated that the AC is working good. That they got maximum cooling with the recirc on. Then he advised me to keep the recirc on on the hotter days as it will cool easier (no s***). Then he goes on to say that the cooling isnt the best on these "eco" cars because the compressors are so small. Then he tells me that i have years of warranty left on this car and that i shoudnt be too concerned this early....

Think its time to look at a new dealer.....

And to call Chevy, but they always side with the dealers. If it blows warm at idle, it has a problem. There are two Techlink articles about it that they need to read, you may need to print them and hand them to the people servicing your car. Someone read the ones I brought with me.

The alignment might be right, but I would have to drive your car before I would agree or disagree with the dealer. Roads that do have deep "ruts" from the trucks packing the pavement down will cause a pull, so I would go find a nice flat road and test it if I was your dealer. Guess I would starve working at any of these places.

Dropped my car off this morning and just got off the phone with the service department. He said that the service manager himeslef took the car on a 20 mile test drive. Said my steering alighnment issues are probably from road groves from other trucks and that they checked the specifications and they are "dead on" factory sepcifications. Then he stated that the AC is working good. That they got maximum cooling with the recirc on. Then he advised me to keep the recirc on on the hotter days as it will cool easier (no s***). Then he goes on to say that the cooling isnt the best on these "eco" cars because the compressors are so small. Then he tells me that i have years of warranty left on this car and that i shoudnt be too concerned this early....

Run far away.

wtf ... 20 mile test drive ???

I'm not quite sure whats going on with my AC. I sat idling for about 20 minutes or so in a parking lot today. I heard the compressor kick on, started getting cool, and then kick back off again and repeat the cycle. Is it supposed to do this at idle? I'm thinking not, because it reminds me of what my Cavalier was doing before I got the AC fixed on that.

Edited by Trancer07

Agreed, I don't believe this is being caused by any major defective components. I've seen some users from Mexico, and India, posting on other forums, and not understanding why the US Sparks are having this problem, they claim theirs are all fine. Might be something to do with the US software/firmware, which should be a simple fix, unless things are getting screwed up, trying to meet our standards. I don't know, I'm not an engineer, but all the parts they have been throwing at these cars hasn't fixed a thing. It's time to move on, this has been dragging out much too long. The sad part is, that the consumer has to bring a printout to inform the dealer that a problem admittedly exists. These guys need to get their fingers out of their ass, and wake up.

Problem is that the techs. don't get paid to read the bulletins, so they don't. They get paid when they do "real" work and each job pays a certain number of hours, the faster they complete each job, the more hours they can make in a day. I think if I was running a shop, I would print these Techlink issues and force each technician to read it, and might even quiz them if I thought they were blowing it off. Jobs would be pending compliance or possibly quiz grades. Going back to Mercedes because my brothers work for a dealer, the company (Mercedes) gets all bent out of shape when the techs. don't complete their online training courses, the dealer loses incentives, etc., etc.

I don't think this is happening at GM dealers, and the 10 minutes it takes to read through the bulletin every month is certainly not time wasted for anyone that needs to do the job faster than the assigned number of hours.

FYI, there is some detailed info about one of the EV cars in a couple of issues, something I need to go back and read, I think it was a couple months ago.

Edited by Greg_E

If you think Chevy is bad , try going to MB to have their smart car repaired . They are completely clueless , endless part changing at very high labor rates . They also do everything they can to get out of warranty claims . My last experience with Chevy wasn't good on the buying end but good on service . This time was tge same thing , not impressed with the buying experience but supposedly the service is top rate . If not i will find another dealer . Hopefully I won't need to see them except for maintenance .