Considering Spark For My Daughter

My daughter will be getting her license by the end of the year as she currently has her learners permit. I've been researching cars for her and the Spark seems to be perfect. I have a couple of questions though. Since we live in South Florida, the summers are hot and I've read there are issues with the A/C cooling properly. I'm going to rent one for a few days to test out but wondered if any forum member has had the issue of the A/C constantly going on and off blowing cold then warm air as I have read in other consumer reviews. Also, being near the beach, I'm afraid of rust issue of the muffler from the salt air as I've read about that issue also. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I am greatly disappointed in the AC

Its only gotten to maybe 85-90 here, and it wont cool the car.

Of course, it's going to get to 112+ here and I'm gonna have to really restrain from trading this car in if this is way the AC is meant to work.

I'm in Florida too, and I bought my Spark in November, so I really didn't have an issue with the A/C.

Truthfully though, I would not have bought the Spark if I had known how poorly the A/C works.

It's not even summer, I have tinted windows, and already I am hot to the point of sweating while driving the car.

What's going to happen when it's 98 degrees and 85% humidity? :fan:

Most small cars in this class have weak a/c in them, this car is no worse than the '10 Hyundai Accent it replaced. You're going to need to have the windows open a few min after parking in sun, and it takes 10 min for the air to get really cold, same as my old car. In high humidity and high temps, or when in stop go traffic, you need to use recirculation for best cooling. Window tint really helps the a/c work better. I have no complaints about the a/c, and we've had upper 80's already, it will freeze me out after a while. Not sure if its just me, but it seems the air gets colder the hotter it is outside the car. You may want to consider new tires, though, because the stock Goodyears are awful in every way, including traction. Check out the mpg postings on fuelly.com, most are exceeding the epa rating, including me.

Edited by austex04

The stock tires are cheap econobox tires, but there is very little to chose from unless you want to go wider, and going wider will probably drag the fuel economy down. A 205/50r15 is almost the exact same size in diameter so the speedometer won't be off enough to worry about.

I live in South Florida and have noticed the AC is not that great but not really that bad. Yes it cycles from cold to cool over and over. It's was worse before I got it tinted. Also as others mentioned I use the fresh air first with windows cracked or down for a few minutes then close up. It does pretty good with that. At night it will freeze you out on speed 3-4. I mostly use it on 2-3 and 4 for cool down.

Greg E, I've seen you on fuelly, way to go on your mpgs! I'm Scootabout, btw. If your daughter is willing to learn or drive a manual transmission, I suggest it in this car. It's also pretty easy to learn on, and can discourage distracted driving, ie cell phone use, texting and eating. The auto is okay, but gets busy shifting. The touchscreen radio is nice on the LT, but could be a distraction for a novice driver.

Edited by austex04

Renting one before you decide to purchase is a wise move.

With that being said though, you have to look and take the Spark for what it is and the value that it offers.

The question to post to Spark owners is, would you purchase another one all over again?

With that being said though, you have to look and take the Spark for what it is and the value that it offers.

The question to post to Spark owners is, would you purchase another one all over again?

Great Question! It needs a new thread. :)

In regards to the A/C I don't have an issue with it in my Spark, at number two on the dial it starts to get chilly so I have to go between two and one. I have used it quite a bit on the highway and haven't noticed any power loss with it, so I am indeed happy with it. I prefer the Spark over my last car (G5), that car I found the A/C way too cold....was surprised there wasn't frost on the inside even at one >.<

Edited by Riverspark

Since the a/c can be sluggish, consider a light color car. I don't get how black is a extra costs, you would have to pay me to own a black car in Texas. The blue is light enough that it doesn't turn into a oven in the sun, and I'm sure green is okay too. White and silver would stay the coolest.

You may want to consider new tires, though, because the stock Goodyears are awful in every way, including traction.

You may have just gotten a few tires from a bum production run. Hell, i've had a few Michelins throw belts over the years, and vibrate. I just came out of a lousy winter, while driving through a few snowfalls, without any problems at all. My Goodyears run quiet, and smooth, with traction as well can be expected in bad weather. Hopefully, the dealer will fix you up. :)

The dealer replaced all four of my tires, it's at least tolerable until I buy new tires. They're the worst tires I've ever had, in my opinion. Maybe I'll wait a year, maybe not. There's a couple of tires on tirerack I'm considering replacing them with, after I install cruise control and tint.