I have read that some of the Jatco CVT7's have a design that causes more friction heat and less cooling than traditional CVT designs. This may be the reason some have the 'not dropping to first gear' in hot weather more often than cold. This design also relies on more electronic sensors so a weak battery could also be a factor if it does not put out a set linear voltage. Just my theories.. but the battery voltage causing issues with the CVT has been documented with the Cooper Mini CVT's.

Jatco actually has a very good reputation among the car makers who use their tranny's and I believe that the Jatco CVT7 is the first ever to have a separate gearbox mated to the CVT unit. Very complex engineering.

I find this very interesting... so in reality, there may not be anything "needing repaired" in this tranny, but rather, the hesitation in warmer weather may be part of the characteristics of this particular transmission? If that is the case, Chevy is off the hook as far as repairs goes since you cannot repair a mechanism that is "working as it was designed." So then it boils down to whether you either can adapt to the driving habits of the car, or get rid of it. I will have the battery checked as well. I bought the car in December 2013, so of course it was not hot outside and it ran great. Test drove a Chevy Sonic, and I liked the sporty feel and performance of the Spark better (plus MPG). That is why I bought it. So, if I am understanding this correctly, to prevent hesitation when pulling out into traffic or similar situation... to shift it into Low and then once moving out into Drive?

I've had other CVT cars and NEVER had experienced anything remotely like this. This included a 2008 Nissan Sentra and a 2010 Suzuki SX-4. Both moved out without hesitation or hopping. I did, however, test drive a Smart ForTwo and it hopped like a teenager learning to drive a stick! I quickly adapted to letting up on the gas when nearing a shift point, as if going to engage the clutch, and it shifted smoother. Odd little thing. I did find a car I could get into and offset the "upside down" aspect of our Sparks.... a Fiat 500L. But I've been reading some horror stories of their automated clutch tranny that does the same thing as my Spark. Some hate it... some love the "quirkiness" of it. I've been leaning back towards the Scion Xb, if for no other reason, than the simplicity and reliability of the engine and transmission even though the MPG is not the best.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope it transforms everyone else's car like it has mine.... My mileage even went up on this road trip by 2.4 mpg. Call me a happy camper....

I have had my 2014 1LT for a month and a half and overall I like it a lot but I have a question. Sometimes when leaving from a stop it does not want to accelerate, I have to floorboard it when it doe

Thought you might want to see the service order. In town it drives Like a different car. No hesitation or jerkyness at low speeds any more. I still need to try it on the interstate to see if they cha

Posted Images

I find this very interesting... so in reality, there may not be anything "needing repaired" in this tranny, but rather, the hesitation in warmer weather may be part of the characteristics of this particular transmission? If that is the case, Chevy is off the hook as far as repairs goes since you cannot repair a mechanism that is "working as it was designed." So then it boils down to whether you either can adapt to the driving habits of the car, or get rid of it. I will have the battery checked as well.

I have read somewhere that some people have had success with similar to your CVT issues by replacing a battery that is not holding a charge or has other issues. Why? I have no idea. Might be a good idea to have that checked as to voltage output as well as a performance 'under load' test.

I kinda like the Scion series as well. With the good sized 2.4 engine should give you good and reliable torque. I may have bought one except for one reason..too big for what we wanted to use it for. I bought our Spark for only one reason..its very small and easy to park in the tiny spots around Miami Beach that my wife visits quite a bit with friends..lunch or shopping she can always find a spot that she fits into while her friends have to drive around and usually end up parking further away or in a paid lot. I have a larger v8 Impala but find myself driving the Spark as much as she does. It would be nice to have a 2.4L engine like the Scion in it though. My nearby neighbor's wife has a Kia Soul for the last few years and according to him they have had only very minor issues (under warranty) and they pack a pile of kids & coolers into that for day/wkend trips to the Keys where they have a cottage...seems like a very reliable vehicle as well.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

I am in Florida as well.... SWFL... so need a car that can function well in hot, humid weather. Also need cold a/c to keep everyone comfortable. Last summer, I just aimed all vents at me and cranked up the fan to 3 or 4 to keep comfortable. It seems to me that the Spark really needs a stronger fan to circulate what cool (cold?) air comes out, especially in this climate. If I lived in Minnesota, I might not be having any problems with the Spark. Location, location! Although Retired Old Gearhead, you live in FL and have no issues. I will have dealership check battery, though to be honest, I'm not convinced they will do so, just as I do not believe they "saw" cupping in the tire. You drop it off and who knows what is done (if anything) to the car. And I cannot sit in the service dept. all day.... have done that before for recalls and missed 1 1/2 days of work (no loaner was offered).

Been trying to calculate $$ regarding trading. It's tough because my Spark's payment is only $99/month. To more than double that payment would be rough right now. The Scion Xb is being replaced in 2016 with a new model, so discounts should be decent. I've known a few people with Kia Soul.... o.k. car, but nothing really special about it and it is a bit pricey for what you get. The most perfect car for me would probably be the C-Max, but to get the back-up camera (something we'd want as we often fill up the back and block the window... or our Goldendoodle pup provides similar issue), you have to order the top of the line model (SEL) and a very expensive package just to get a backup camera. That drives the MSRP into the $30k range... way more than I can go right now. Looked at aftermarket cameras and they just do not have the quality of the OEM ones. The Prius is reliable and great mileage, but don't like the sloping rear as the pup would bash his head on the hatch. The Prius V is in the C-Max price range. Don't like the Nissan Versa Note (not comfortable), the Honda Fit is a "maybe," though armrest is too low to use and seats appear to be a bit low for my parents to easily enter and exit, love the new Golf but it is close in price to the C-Max (mid-upper 20k). Have had bad experiences with Hyundai, so really leery about them. Drove a Toyota Yaris before I purchased the Spark, and was not comfortable (I have back problems). Tried the Mazda3 and seats too low. Found out that the leftover 2014 Fiat 500L's are reduced nearly $8,000 off MSRP, but really poor reliability and tranny problems, so even though the $$$ would be right where we want to be, I don't want to spend more time at service depts. and the Fiat dealer is about 36 miles away. So doing some research yet and will see how it goes with Chevy.

I just got my spark back from the body shop and after driving the rental around for 2 weeks i miss the rental. same 2014 cvt. as afar as i know maybe they have different trannys or a rental driver blew up the from the factory one who knows. but that one accelerated like no problem at all. drove like a perfect normal car.. was pretty quick too merging on the freeway going 60 to 80 to get around a slow truck all that. I got mine back and its noticeably slower. even put the snorkle and air resonator tube back on like it was in the rental to see if that had an effect. its quiter but doesnt seem faster or slower than when i was driving before, the loud engine noise was kind of fun though.

I just got my spark back from the body shop and after driving the rental around for 2 weeks i miss the rental. same 2014 cvt. as afar as i know maybe they have different trannys or a rental driver blew up the from the factory one who knows. but that one accelerated like no problem at all. drove like a perfect normal car.. was pretty quick too merging on the freeway going 60 to 80 to get around a slow truck all that. I got mine back and its noticeably slower. even put the snorkle and air resonator tube back on like it was in the rental to see if that had an effect. its quiter but doesnt seem faster or slower than when i was driving before, the loud engine noise was kind of fun though.

I guess you're happy to have your car back. How did it turn out? fit and finish? paint match? Hopefully after some more miles on the clock, she'll start to loosen up a bit, like your rental.

she looks goods as new.. discovered the side mirror that flew in the car and hit me in the face also scratched up the dash so the body shop is putting in another quote to the insurance to get it replaced. the brakes arent as smooth as they were with may need looking at but..

I'm definitely holding out hoping the cables and what not get broken in. I think we can all agree it drives better now than when we first got them.

Well.... now the long awaited update of the Spark saga. Dealership insisted it is cupped tire and put the front tire on the back. Mechanic said he put it up on the lift and checked hub bearings and are not the problem (upon check-in, the service writer said that wheel hub bearings ARE covered under the 3/36 warranty...???). So drove the car and the noise is much less now, so perhaps it was the tire all along... just odd how it was noisier when making right turns. Now here comes the fun stuff: to remedy the problem, dealer recommends replacing both tires. I told them that GM warranty covers the tires. Oh? Oh, yeah. With 22,000 miles on the car and not even 1 1/2 yrs. old, GM would pay 47.4% of the tire cost (pro-rated). O.k., so, that came out to: $179.97 PER TIRE, plus I would have to pay for balancing and mounting ($20 each tire) PLUS an alignment to prevent future cupping. Didn't even bother to get the price of an alignment... but all in all, that would cost me about $500+ incl. tax. Yeah, I know I can get replacement tires for MUCH less elsewhere... but I've never bought a car, had it this short amount of time and mileage, and been presented with such a bill! They kept trying to blame the cupping on not having tire rotations enough, yet I had them as presented in the owners manual maintenance schedule. And they were done by Chevy dealers. Needless to say, the lurching, hesitation, revving issues were all warranting repair and is operating according to specs.

So... off I drove home, again. After a few miles, the lurching started again. The a/c still blows colder when running than at a light when it is just cool. (One dealer told me that this is normal in any car!). When I got home (I live in a quiet residential community with hardly anyone on the roads), I went for a test drive. I drove around, listening for sounds of bearing issues or cupped tires. The sound was more muffled, but I could still detect a bit of it. Then I thought, let's see how she does from a dead stop, then having to quickly move out as in merging into a stream of traffic. I stopped completely, waited a few seconds, then punched down on the accelerator, though not flooring it. Then ANOTHER new behavior erupted.... the car suddenly roared and shuddered, like it was running over a buckboard, and strained to gain speed!!!! It had NEVER done that before! Scary... so I tried to re-create it again and of course, it would not do it. But it did do the usual hesitation. Also tried starting off in Low gear; really didn't notice much difference other than it revved high.

Well folks.... I've had it. I honestly have no confidence this car will be dependable and safe for the long term. Since I drive a lot (2,000 miles per month on average), I am looking at trading it in. Drove a new Scion Xb today; very nice car, but the seat was mediocre and the backup camera very disappointing as it has no indicators to show how close or far you are from something. Most cameras have this feature, as the view in the camera makes objects look further away than that actually are (and could end up hitting something). So, the hunt is on. I'm going to take a bath on this Spark, but I'm done playing with this vehicle and all it's "quirks."

sucks youre having such a helluva time with your spark tish.. do you have another dealership near by that you can go to these guys seem like clowns. and these are small tires thats how much it should of cost for both of them. theyre ripping you off. probably too late now but any services you have to pay for even new tires is best to go else where.

also scions (toyota in general) are very lack luster in anything but exterior and theyre expensive too.

Hi Skids.... I've tried three Chevy dealerships in my area. I refuse to drive over an hour to try more. I did NOT buy the tires.... I know I could get them elsewhere for much less, but if it was just needing tires, that's one thing. But with all the other issues, and now this bizarre shuddering episode... I'm done messing with it.

I've been researching cars and want something not too big (we also have a 2000 Grand Caravan with 124,000 miles and it runs BETTER than both our Sparks!), but something compact with room to carry people in comfort (seniors) so I need higher seats and room behind to carry a walker. So far, narrowed it down to Scion Xb and Kia Soul. The Xb was surprisingly nice to drive; not sporty or making you want to wake up in the middle of the night just to go for a drive... but nice and comfortable. With a price under $20,000.... that is tough to find. This is the last year for the Xb, so looks like discounts are available. We use USAA for price comparisons. Love the VW Golf, but out of our price range at this time, as is the Ford C-Max (which I drove and it impressed the be-jeebers outa me!). Sat in a Prius and nope... not a Prii person.... seating position was uncomfortable for me. I also do not care for the Nissan Versa Note... just don't like the look of it and the seating seems to have little support. The Honda Fit's seats are too low for my folks to get in and out. So narrowing down the field.

Wow... Ya, the run around you are getting is just getting very confused and expensive with GM not wanting to do anything under warranty..so, I would probably do the same. Throw in the towel & find another car that you are happy with. Having a good amount of mechanical knowledge, I would probably deal with GM HQ to try and get it all resolved under warranty, but that can be difficult with limited mechanical knowledge. Now might be a good time to find another vehicle you are happy with before a bearing goes. Not sure about the Ford C-Max as it is a Hybrid part gas part electric and when something goes wrong..well, it's expensive. Shop around, test drive and when you find something you like..have a set max $$ you want to spend and stick to it. Buy with your wallet and not your heart... you get my drift..Good luck and keep us posted..K?

That sucks.. and I just read the part (way old) about them not giving you a rental for the recall stuff. When I called about the oil consumption one I told them so you're putting me in a rental right?! one dealership (my local one where i bought the car from and love me because ive bought 2 cars from them and the finance manager does anything for me including stealing parts off of other cars) gave me the run around about it, called another dealership and their answer was "of course". dont go to my local spot for service any more.. still some B.S. GM corporate used to be very helpful and stay on the customers side versus dealerships but lately they'er taking the side of the seller and claiming theres no problems with their vehicles.

I do a lot of work with kia vehicles (not repairs but knowing the ins and out of them) and the soul is a pretty sweet ride but it gets pricey quick when you get all the cool stuff in it, that being said its just not as fun with out em. not a fan of scions or honda, i dont know what people see in them, especially where i live therye everywhere i like not being at a stop light and seeing my car next to me.

so... been driving around with my car back, and stock intake setup like was on the rental (i had the snorkel and resonator tube off before the accident) and not only is performance less but also lower mpg compared to the rental which i was getting an easy 33mpg city hauling ass all over the place. now im getting about 31mpg city babying it and just trying to get up to speed. with the intake pipes off i was getting about 34-36mpg city driving normally, but still not with the performance of the rental.

weird stuff man.. sorry for posting randomly but i'd like to keep notes of all this in one spot and maybe with our powers combined we can summon captain planet.. uh i mean figure out the cvt mystery.. wheres scooby?

Well the outcome of all this was... yesterday we traded both Sparks for a new Ford C-Max. The Scion XB was a nice car, but dealership would not give hardly anything for the Sparks (and this dealership also sells Chevy's!!!). Ford dealer sold us a leftover 2014 loaded with nav., panoramic roof, lots of toys, took about $5,000 off car and gave us full Black Book value for trades, making our payoffs. The monthly payment is higher, but insurance on the C-Max is LESS than the Spark, and so far, getting 41.3 MPG on a car that is not even broken in yet. So, we are happy now. I will say, however, I do not plan on buying another GM product mostly because dealership service depts. in my area are horrible. I also do not have any confidence in South Korean cars.... the Spark is SK and I had a Hyundai in 2004 that was a nightmare (my father also had a Hyundai as did my neighbor, and those cars too were problematic... mostly lousy transmissions). So... adios Spark forum, but thank you so much for all the support here. You guys should RUN GM and they may stand a chance!!!

Well the outcome of all this was... yesterday we traded both Sparks for a new Ford C-Max. The Scion XB was a nice car, but dealership would not give hardly anything for the Sparks (and this dealership also sells Chevy's!!!). Ford dealer sold us a leftover 2014 loaded with nav., panoramic roof, lots of toys, took about $5,000 off car and gave us full Black Book value for trades, making our payoffs. The monthly payment is higher, but insurance on the C-Max is LESS than the Spark, and so far, getting 41.3 MPG on a car that is not even broken in yet. So, we are happy now. I will say, however, I do not plan on buying another GM product mostly because dealership service depts. in my area are horrible. I also do not have any confidence in South Korean cars.... the Spark is SK and I had a Hyundai in 2004 that was a nightmare (my father also had a Hyundai as did my neighbor, and those cars too were problematic... mostly lousy transmissions). So... adios Spark forum, but thank you so much for all the support here. You guys should RUN GM and they may stand a chance!!!

Nice solution to your issues and sounds like the financial part worked out OK as well. I have recently sold my shares in GM at a nice profit and dividends, but with the price of gas predicted to stay low for some time, I think GM's investment in the new all aluminum small engines and electric small vehicles will not pay off in the short term, specially if there are some issues with this engineering and going the CVT route IMO will not help either. Due to cheap gas, the 'muscle' car is enjoying a new popularity as well. Hope you have better luck with the C-Max and can finally enjoy your purchase!

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I also posted this in the TSB section

I have previously posted about a concern I had about the CVT sometimes not resetting to the lowest ratio at a stopped condition, this made it very sluggish pulling out. I contacted Chevrolet Customer service on the forum with my concern and Jasmine replied. She checked up for me and found there may have been a TSB for my issue. She contacted my dealer and they called me and set an appointment for me to bring it in to be checked.

I took it in and they found out it did need the TSB TI1309 to be performed to reprogram the TCM. They completed that this morning and so far it seems to have cured that issue and the transmission does not seem to be as jerky at low speed either.

So if you have these issues I would have my dealer check on that TSB.

Just noticed on my dealer printout it is listed as TI1309 and PI1309....

I guess it all comes down to the Chevy dealer.... I had mine to THREE and both insisted there was no problem... made me feel like I was crazy! Since it did not do this consistently... what could I do? I am happy with my Ford though... at an avg. of 42.8 MPG with only 2,000 miles on it, I think the C-Max was a right choice for me. But I would not recommend ANY Chevrolet dealer in the Lee County or Charlotte County areas of Florida. This was the second (and last!) time I had problems with these dealerships and resulted in getting rid of the car. Buyer beware!

I guess it all comes down to the Chevy dealer.... I had mine to THREE and both insisted there was no problem... made me feel like I was crazy! Since it did not do this consistently... what could I do? I am happy with my Ford though... at an avg. of 42.8 MPG with only 2,000 miles on it, I think the C-Max was a right choice for me. But I would not recommend ANY Chevrolet dealer in the Lee County or Charlotte County areas of Florida. This was the second (and last!) time I had problems with these dealerships and resulted in getting rid of the car. Buyer beware!

If you saw my other posts, my dealer did not know of any TSBs about this problem. So I am thinking this TSB is fairly new. I drove my car all day today after the reprogram and it is acting completely different now.... So far it hasn't bogged down once from a start even using the AC...

Edited by Angrybird12

Thought you might want to see the service order.post-1528-0-11959700-1430328113_thumb.jp

In town it drives Like a different car. No hesitation or jerkyness at low speeds any more. I still need to try it on the interstate to see if they changed anything about that. I hope not, I was very happy with the highway performance before.

Edited by Angrybird12

This must be what the difference was with my rental that it had been reprogrammed already. Probably because it was a rental and many random people drive it so it kept getting complained about and getting taken care of sooner rather than lawsuit. Mine is pretty peppy with the intake and exhaust, can't wait to see what a proper programming will do. So happy you found this out Angrybird!

Well I am on a little road trip and on the interstate it still performed as before, plenty of pep and easy on cruise control at 70 keeping up the speed. Then I took it on some backroads and now it feels like it's picked up 20 HP. I tell you if you still are experiencing the bogging take it in you won't believe the difference. Insist they check on the TSB. Or like me contact Jasmine of Chevrolet Customer service on here, she is aware of the problem and solution.