• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hope it transforms everyone else's car like it has mine.... My mileage even went up on this road trip by 2.4 mpg. Call me a happy camper....

I have had my 2014 1LT for a month and a half and overall I like it a lot but I have a question. Sometimes when leaving from a stop it does not want to accelerate, I have to floorboard it when it doe

Thought you might want to see the service order. In town it drives Like a different car. No hesitation or jerkyness at low speeds any more. I still need to try it on the interstate to see if they cha

Posted Images

Just bumping the topic to see how the 2014 Spark owners like their ride CVT or not, curious if any of you have seen the issues that are plaguing the other model years. Love mine other then the minor A/C repair I had at 300 miles.

P.S. Sorry for the double post just looking to boost some conversation on the 2014's

I have about 6,000 miles on my 2014 with the CVT and I love it. I've averaged 41 mpg since I bought it and expect to get a little better with "summer gas" coming in. I'm finally starting to see more Sparks on the road. For the price I paid, 14,000 on the road, I don't know how you can beat it.

post-1100-0-94597400-1400278436_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Milage update. I am now at a little over 4000 miles on my 2014 LT1 CVT Spark and I love it I could not be happier with how my car is performing. Over all I have been able to fit 2 sets of golf clubs in it and I am 36.3 MPG with a lot of sitting in traffic every day so it is doing everything I need it to . The few CONS I have are it does leave a little to be desired when merging on the highway but I expected that and the A/C does suck but I would say it is comfortable atleast when hitting high 80's to low 90's and the controls for the myLink could be better would have been nice to be setup with the same one the malibu uses. Overall though I am happy with my purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my 2014 1LT for a month and a half and overall I like it a lot but I have a question.

Sometimes when leaving from a stop it does not want to accelerate, I have to floorboard it when it does this and then the transmission acts like it downshifts and the car takes off. This is very dangerous because I never know when it will happen. I just have 2600 miles on it.

I just wonder why it's just every once in a while? Seems strange that most of the time it's normal yet sometimes it just does not want to pull out, like the transmission does not go back to the lowest gear or whatever you call it in a CVT.

Edited by Timothy Tiller

I just wonder why it's just every once in a while? Seems strange that most of the time it's normal yet sometimes it just does not want to pull out, like the transmission does not go back to the lowest gear or whatever you call it in a CVT.

Hey Timothy Tiller,

Have you taken a technician from your dealership on a test drive with you? Maybe once they can experience the lag in acceleration they'll determine what needs to be done to make the necessary corrections. If you'd like for us to reach out to them about this for you, just message us your VIN, contact information and dealership name.

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Hey Timothy Tiller,

Have you taken a technician from your dealership on a test drive with you? Maybe once they can experience the lag in acceleration they'll determine what needs to be done to make the necessary corrections. If you'd like for us to reach out to them about this for you, just message us your VIN, contact information and dealership name.

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks,

I haven't had time to take it in yet, but last time I was there I mentioned it to the service advisor and he kind of implied it was normal. I messaged another rep on here last night with my information and full description of the problem.

Edited by Timothy Tiller

Took my car in this morning I talked to a different service advisor than the last time. He said they have had several come in with the same complaint. I now have an appointment next Wednesday to check it out. Funny thing is it didn't do it one time going to the dealership and back home this morning.

Took my car in this morning I talked to a different service advisor than the last time. He said they have had several come in with the same complaint. I now have an appointment next Wednesday to check it out. Funny thing is it didn't do it one time going to the dealership and back home this morning.

Hopefully, it will happen at the dealership, it gives them an easy stall, if they can't replicate it, unless, being they claim to have dealt with a few of these already, they know the fix. Keep us informed..

Hopefully, it will happen at the dealership, it gives them an easy stall, if they can't replicate it, unless, being they claim to have dealt with a few of these already, they know the fix. Keep us informed..

Unfortunately he never said they had fixed one, only mine wasn't the first time they had heard of it.

Glad to see you've set up an appointment to get this addressed. Hopefully they can duplicate the issue come Wednesday. Let us know how everything goes. We look forward to updates.

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Glad to see you've set up an appointment to get this addressed. Hopefully they can duplicate the issue come Wednesday. Let us know how everything goes. We look forward to updates.

Amber N.

Chevrolet Customer Care

Will do. By the way it got up into the 90's this afternoon and it did it 3 or 4 times on me. I am wondering now if outside temperature may affect it.

I have only had this issue one time since I have been driving mine waiting for it to happen again to see if i can find any reason why.

I was reading in another thread and several commented about the same thing when it gets hot. So it must be related. Check the mods section and the thread about modifying the air box.

http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/1257-intake-mod-wow/#

Edited by Timothy Tiller
  • 1 month later...

ive got a little under 2k on mine and have no problem merging on the freeway. i find its got some pretty nice power when its above 25mph slam the gas and go. above 65 not as much but hey.. slow down speed racer. it seems to me mines had a bit of a break in period, that or i just babied it till 1k, or i got used to driving cvt. its still a little slow off the line, but ive found you cant floor it from a stop youll rev high and not go anywhere (probably has something to do with the engine being so small and the flood of gas not being able to burn off quick enough or to translate the revs to tires with the tranny belts just spinning, im not a mechanic i dont know just guessing)

some things ive heard, read and experienced about how to drive a car with CVT for better performance. begin rolling before hitting the gas. accelerate slowly from a stop then gas it. drive it like manual taking your foot off the gas to adjust for shifts. the cvt learns your driving style and performs according.

and like you said and i think most of us have experienced in all of our cars they love it when the air is cool out. i hope some of these might help

and im interested to find out what the dealership says. ive been hearing the fuel injectors and sparks plugs having problems here and there. best of luck :)

I now have over 7,500 miles on mine now and I am really impressed. Its a great highway cruiser and it takes the hills and mountains around here better than any other small car with an automatic that I have ever owned in the past.

I took a little trip this afternoon on a road around here called The Snake. I have driven it many times in sports cars and in my Camaro. The Spark did better than I expected and also returned almost 45 MPG for the 69 mile trip.

Like I said before the only thing I dislike is the bogging on occasion, but it seems to be happening less and less. Maybe I am just learning to compensate with my driving style. One big problem I found out is when I go back and drive the Camaro or my Saturn Vue I tend to spin the tires pulling out a lot more...

Edited by Angrybird12

Allow me to help all. When driving my 2014 LT1 CVT spark, I notice this issue during cold and hot driving, the problem is somewhat the driver's and car's fault. When taking off from a dead stop, after sitting still for about 1-2 seconds, the CVT will drop back to low range. When rolling to a stop, one can feel the car push a bit as it stays in high range. When almost to a complete stop, it still is in high range. When taking back off from a very short/almost rolling stop, the CVT stays in high range, thus the "i must floor it to move and has no power complaint" basically you are taking off in 2/3rd gear in a manual. You can confirm this by doing either of the two... either come to complete stop, count to 2 seconds, then move OR pull the gear shift lever to "L" and take off. If you notice better acceleration using "L" from a stop sign, then you have found the problem. There are known issues of older engines having piston/ring issues causing power loss. I was very nervous about mine (purchased 8/2014, build date of 7/2014) but this is not the case for me.

When i drive in the city, i use "L" when driving less than 35 mph. When on the highway i use "D" duh!. "L" can get me up steep hills from a dead stop to 40-50mph easily but really winds out the motor and CVT. I then shift to "D". I shock people every day when i catch them sleeping and they get smoked by the little spark from the stop light, after 40mph they blow my doors off due to my low HP

In my opinion... GM has set the "put CVT back to L range timing" too long in the ECU. I can repeat this 100% of the time and can honestly tell you it is probably linked to slowing and then accelerating again and this long time prevents the downshift to "L" during this in opportune time due to MPG and not being necessary. However it is a trade off when taking off from a stop sign and not fully stopping. American drivers are well known to roll though stop signs and not come to complete (wheels stopped) stops with a slight delay. Most drivers around here barely even slow down for stop signs due to being in a rural area, much like myself and how i found this. In my opinion, only a ECU/TCM flash will help this issue.

In "L" i can break the tires loose on a smooth, dry surface with the TC off. It is not a glorious burnout but just proves there is power there once in "L"

Edited by eleceng1979