Downloaded and setup this app today. Seems pretty legit. Basically eliminates the need to actually call OnStar. You can lock or unlock your car, and send navigation straight from the app to the car as well. Gives all the diagnostic info etc too. Best part is it's a free app! For that price I have to recommend it to the forum lol

But if you lock your keys inside they can open it for you. And if the car is stolen they can stop it and alert the police for recovery. And, and, and... So goes the sales pitch just before your time runs out.

Reminds me, I keep forgetting to unplug the stupid thing when I'm out working on it. Three days of driving light install and A/C not working proof and I never unplugged the OnStar unit. I'll have to think of something I can use those buttons for...

This is a nice app, but unlocking the door requires you to enter a four digit pin. When I set up my account online it never asked me to create this pin and I don't think that you can do so after the account is created. I think that they want to force you to call to create your pin so they can try to line you up with navigation and hands-free calling. Am I getting paranoid?

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to setup a pin#, is by speaking to a customer service rep. Push the blue button, and just explain the situation, and tell them you need a pin#, they are extremely receptive and polite. When I took possession of the car, I signed up using a phone rep, and created a pin, right there. They may try a sales pitch, but you are not obligated.

Good Luck

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to setup a pin#, is by speaking to a customer service rep. Push the blue button, and just explain the situation, and tell them you need a pin#, they are extremely receptive and polite. When I took possession of the car, I signed up using a phone rep, and created a pin, right there. They may try a sales pitch, but you are not obligated.

Good Luck

Usually companies never let themselves and customers discuss passwords or pins. The creation or changes of these should be done only by the customer. To me it is a huge security breach getting a pin from a customer service rep who could pass it on to who knows. Could you imagine a bank do this for, say, getting a new pin for your debit card. Believe me there is no person to person involvement with a bank. Maybe OnStar has a way to do it that would avoid this problem. For instance, they could have you key in your desired pin from phone keyboard. We will see.

Nope, it's done by voice over their "secure" onstar link (cell phone of dubious quality), I remember having to set one up when I got my car and taking ten minutes to tell them, no I don't have my credit card with me, I'll do it later if I want the service. God they are high pressure pushy! I almost swore at the person on the other end but they quit asking just soon enough.

Grrr..... Once again I forgot to pull the stupid plug on that system while I was out measuring a few things, stupid me must be the heat.

I can confirm that the Onstar app will lock/unlock the rear hatch on the LS.

I just tried this as well. It might not be classy going in through the hatch, but it sure beats being stranded because you left the keys in it. It will also set off the panic function. I like it for the Tire pressure and lifetime MPG I'm up to 44mpg over 9600 miles!

Since I compare both computer mileage and pump mileage, I don't trust the computer enough to rely on that figure. Go to my fuelly page and you will see in the comments what my computed per tank readout was and compare to what I get from the pump. As you can see, my lifetime is still just under 40mpg and is going down now that it is getting cooler. Tire pressure is not the reason, so it must be due to either air temperature or a change in fuel, and it should be too early for the winter blend fuel that really brings the mileage down. Getting close to my first year on fuelly with this car so it's a good bench mark for other people to look at.

I used the app for the 6 month free trial as well. It's a cool feature. I'd definitely pay $20 a year, to have that feature. Not $20 a month. Like many of you, when I called to cancel my renewal, they wouldn't accept "NO!" as an answer. I've driven this long without it, I sure don't need it now. I also disconnected all of the cables coming from that module under the driver seat. It was relieving, when I hit the buttons and they were all 'dead'.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using OnStar for about 5 yrs now. This is my first experience with the Remote Link app. Nice enhancement IMO.

To clarify, if it ain't powered, OnStar can't work it. Ergo, my manual door locks on my base LS won't work with OnStar, but the power rear hatch will. Scared the bejessus outta my wife testing the remote horn last night (car was in garage and she was peacefully reading in house, oops). Diagnostics consist of Real-Time :

Fuel level and consumption

Oil life monitoring

Individual tire pressure

Hands Free calling minutes info

I can lock and unlock doors (if I had power door locks that is, for a base LS, just the hatch)

Horn and light flashing (keeps the squirrels and bad guys away)

Navigation feature that works with Bing

Direct phone connections to Onstar, my dealer and Roadside assistance.

The base price I have been paying (special promo) is $12.95 mo. It can go higher, but keep vigilant on negotiating with them and look out for promos and it's affordable.

I am on my 6 mo. trial, they told me it would only be the 12.95 afterwards for the basic Safe and Sound pkg, and if not I can always 86 it and revert back to my OBDII scanner and checking things myself. Telematics are cool tho. :)

Edited by Sparktacus