Why does someone at work park there aveo next to my spark

GM wants America to forget the Aveo, which is why the new model is called Sonic here and Aveo everywhere else. Maybe the guy who parks next to you wants to forget as well? Or maybe he wants to move on to a Spark?

EXACTLY! Chevy can call it what they want in North America but the Sonic is nothing but a new Aveo.

They are correct. The Aveo was a bust in the USA; however, they are still manufacturing in Mexico and it is the #1 selling car in Mexico, if you can believe that. It was a horrible car and it still is, as I have driven one in Mexico. Think it is the price and the sedan like look that is pleasing to the locals here. Still costs $12-$15,000 dollars in Mexico, basically same price as Spark. Who knows???

How bad could the aveo be compared to the spark? I thought about buying one 4 years ago.

They are correct. The Aveo was a bust in the USA; however, they are still manufacturing in Mexico and it is the #1 selling car in Mexico, if you can believe that. It was a horrible car and it still is, as I have driven one in Mexico. Think it is the price and the sedan like look that is pleasing to the locals here. Still costs $12-$15,000 dollars in Mexico, basically same price as Spark. Who knows???

The Aveo depends on what you want out of a car. If you want SIMPLE and reliable - the Aveo works very well for that. Other than timing belts that tend to snap before GM says to change them, there's really not much to go wrong with Aveo.

Fit and finish - poor. Driving characteristics - poor. Cheap ... Yes.

The Aveo and the Spark are NOTHING alike. The Spark is fun to drive around (even if a bit underpowered). There's steering feel and the steering actually works. Can't comment on interior quality as they haven't been around long enough.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2858390

I test drove the 1.4 turbo Sonic a few months back. It drove ok I though. Not fast, but faster than I thought it'd be. Didn't get to do anything besides highway driving so can't comment on handling/turning radius etc. But it was DEFINITELY NOT worth the 19K sticker price.

I'm not sure I would agree with that last statement, but then again my previous Chevys were all Geo type so made by Suzuki in Canada (Storm and Metro). The metro was without question the best car I ever owned until it rusted out to far to bother saving it, went for a long time with 40mpg and only cost me like $2500 when I bought it used, put like 100,000 miles on it which put it up around 170,000 when I crushed it. Never did any work on it other than brakes and a catalyst after it started burning oil near the end of its life. The hatch was huge... Wish they still made that exact car and made it cheap like it was when it was current. Nearly the perfect car for me.

I'm surprised the previous generation Aveo still sells well in Mexico. Theres other options for around the same price, but cars do cost much more to my south, and the Aveo seats five. A Versa SL will run about $18 grand usd in Mexico, and that's a haggled deal. A Spark LS around $16 grand usd. The Matiz was also popular there before the '12 Spark replaced it, that's where I fell in love with the Spark.

I'm surprised the previous generation Aveo still sells well in Mexico. Theres other options for around the same price, but cars do cost much more to my south, and the Aveo seats five. A Versa SL will run about $18 grand usd in Mexico, and that's a haggled deal. A Spark LS around $16 grand usd. The Matiz was also popular there before the '12 Spark replaced it, that's where I fell in love with the Spark.

The Versa is weird. It's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll tell you I drove the Aveo, Sonic and Spark and out of them all I liked the Spark the best. The Sonic really felt like an Aveo just rebadged anyone remember the cimmarons back in the 80s the Cavies weren't all that great back then, hey lets make it a Caddy and stamp a badge on it.

The Aveo I test drove was a 2011 under 30k miles, the paint was already fading on the back 'spoiler' on the trunk lid, the AC was failing and making a horrible noise. Interior wise the Spark is far ahead in my opinion as well it really feels like a well planned out interior and I have yet to spill my drink from the cupholder going around a corner...which let me tell you is a major +1 to this car.

I will also say coming from a GM car from 17 years ago, going from a 'high end' to a base of the bases there isn't much missing aside from the leather interior.

On a side note, I did park the Aveo they gave me for two days next to a Spark in the parking garage on campus, and I can tell you that as far as style, body lines, interiors etc... the Spark feels like a much more well thought out and designed vehicle...but that is of course my two cents.

Yes, the prices in Mexico are as high or higher than the USA and you get very few options. For example, the Mexico spark has 2 airbags, no my link, NO automatic transmission available and entirely different front bumper, as well as only low end radio. USA bells and whistles are not on the spark in Mexico. Most new cars here only come with front airbags (if any) and few options unless you want to add them on, if possible. Better off buying in the states and getting the vehicle you want.

Edited by yuwan63755