I'm wondering about OnStar as well because I'm travelling to the US late September, early October pretty much every weekend to visit. If it's better to load my car up with minutes instead of using my cellphone where I will get roaming charges (which are ridiculously expensive). Basically when I'm in the US will the minutes I load onto OnStar depreciate faster because it will be long distance when I call home?

To the best of my knowledge, it wouldn't cost any extra to call Canada, although Onstar prepay is no bargain, depending on how much time you buy, it runs about .40 - .50 cents US, a minute. The phone end of Onstar here is handled by Verizon wireless.

My guess would be the majority of subscribers are over 55 years old.

I fall into that category. Will not renew. Sorry I even pushed the button, but my dealer pleaded with me to do so. On-Star is way overpriced for what it is, IMO. Why an a la carte package isn't available is beyond me. It would seem they'd pick up some additional revenue if that was offered.

I wouldn't use Onstar as a regular phone as the minutes are pricy as Walt mentioned . This is more of a emergency / backup / convenience device . It's like carrying a spare tire or battery jump box ,you may never need it but greatful if you do. Unfortunately I travel mostly at night in deserted areas and Onstar has been well worth it for me , but so has a real spare tire and jumper box lol. I plan on renewing Onstar , XM radio and buying the full Bringgo app after the trial period ends , surprised more people are not interested in any of those features .

I find that the cars telematics system has alot more power than my handheld cell phone. I talk through areas that i can't pick up a signal. I kept onstar, i really like the directions displaying on the radio. If i had the mylink radio I wouldn't have kept it due to bluetooth and bringo.

I wouldn't use Onstar as a regular phone as the minutes are pricy as Walt mentioned . This is more of a emergency / backup / convenience device . It's like carrying a spare tire or battery jump box ,you may never need it but greatful if you do. Unfortunately I travel mostly at night in deserted areas and Onstar has been well worth it for me , but so has a real spare tire and jumper box lol. I plan on renewing Onstar , XM radio and buying the full Bringgo app after the trial period ends , surprised more people are not interested in any of those features .

I decided to keep the OnStar as well as my XM, I found out that our roaming plans here are awful for cellphones and it actually worked out cheaper with OnStar and using their minutes while in the US.

I have to laugh when I see people saying how OnStar is an invasion of privacy, that they can listen in to your conversations, track your movements and so on and so forth.

Yet in the same breath the same people talk about using their cellphone, BringGo, and Bluetooth.

Just for a heads up, ANYONE with a little knowledge and the right equipment can track a cellphone.

It has been proven that the NSA, the cell providers, and hackers can and do turn on the microphones on cellphones and listen in to conversations.

Does anyone really believe that BringGo, Google Maps, and all those other like services doesn't keep some sort of record of where you go or the destinations you map out?

OnStar is no more invasive than the technology you are already using, and some of it's features are worth having.

Just saying.... ;)

Onstar is a lot different than other services when it comes to privacy . A few years ago they sent me a privacy update that allows them the right to sell all data collected to government agencies . Your user agreement gives them that right . Even after you discontinue Onstar they continue to monitor you unless you specifically call them and tell them . Anything they monitor can be used for or against you if something like a serious accident were to occur .. among other things . NONE of the other technologies can or have the ability to link your every movement like Onstar can .

Onstar is a lot different than other services when it comes to privacy . A few years ago they sent me a privacy update that allows them the right to sell all data collected to government agencies . Your user agreement gives them that right . Even after you discontinue Onstar they continue to monitor you unless you specifically call them and tell them . Anything they monitor can be used for or against you if something like a serious accident were to occur .. among other things . NONE of the other technologies can or have the ability to link your every movement like Onstar can .

I agree, if you search onstar privacy you will find this privacy update.

NONE of the other technologies can or have the ability to link your every movement like Onstar can .

Really? OnStar can only track your vehicle, it's movements, and maybe (illegally) conversations in the vehicle, but if you carry a cellphone it can (and does) track where YOU are at all times, and shutting it off does not stop it.

I'd be a little more concerned with what I'm doing outside the car than in it! B)

Not to mention that it is now common practice for the donut gobblers to pull your phone records if you are involved in an accident or are being investigated for a crime - without a warrant.

There should be some sort of an opt out for OnStar to share your personal information - for marketing purposes at least, since the "privacy" laws say that a company has to offer the option to opt out of marketing by other companies.

There is no such thing as privacy, the best you can hope for is that no one is paying attention if and/or when you do something you shouldn't. ;)

I doubt your going to have a life changing experience carrying a cellphone . A phone isn't going to track vehicle speed , steering angle , when or if you used your brakes or if you wore a seat belt ..A phone isn't going to notify police in the event of an accident but Onstar will . And you don't need to be an active subscriber for them to do that nor do they need a court order like they would to record conversation. Listening in is the least of anyone's worries . What they do with all the data is unknown but troublesome .

I doubt your going to have a life changing experience carrying a cellphone . A phone isn't going to track vehicle speed , steering angle , when or if you used your brakes or if you wore a seat belt ..A phone isn't going to notify police in the event of an accident but Onstar will . And you don't need to be an active subscriber for them to do that nor do they need a court order like they would to record conversation. Listening in is the least of anyone's worries . What they do with all the data is unknown but troublesome .

Actually yes, if you are using your phone for GPS purposes, it can track your vehicle speed, and the car's computer tracks all of those things (and more) without having OnStar.

As far as what they do with your info, they do have a privacy policy that says what they do with it, but it is written using ambiguous language that can be interpreted in a number of ways (just like cellphone privacy policies).

As far as life changing experiences while carrying a phone, tell that to the thousands that have been arrested and have their phone call and phone's GPS records used against them. ;)

If anyone is interested, here is a link to remove your email, phone numbers, and snail mail from GM's marketing (including OnStar):

https://www.gmcontactpreferences.com/index.jsp

Here is a little FAQ from OnStar's privacy policy:

Does OnStar track the location or speed of my car?

The simple answer is no. OnStar does not continuously track the location or speed of your car. OnStar only knows this information when:

• there is a request for service initiated from within the car (when you press an OnStar button to speak with an advisor);
  • there is a request for Stolen Vehicle Assistance or to locate a missing person;
  • there is an Air Bag Deployment;
  • there is an Automatic Crash Response;
  • required by law;
  • required to protect our rights or property or the safety of you or others;
  • required by us for research or troubleshooting purposes; or
  • required for the delivery by OnStar of new or enhanced services that you have requested.

Can OnStar listen to or monitor my personal conversations in my car without me knowing?

No. It is not possible for OnStar to listen to or monitor conversations in your car without you knowing it. When an advisor calls into your car, the following will occur:

• a light flashes;
  • there is a ring;
  • the radio mutes.

OnStar intentionally developed this functionality so that our advisors cannot override it. In addition, calls through the OnStar system are normally audible through the stereo speakers, and cars programmed with text display capabilities will show an indicator of a connection to OnStar on the driver's instrument panel. Moreover, OnStar's policy requires advisors to announce their presence immediately upon establishing a call into your car.

Does OnStar keep recordings of my interactions with the advisors?

Yes. We may record and monitor all interactions between us, including interactions between us when you are in your car, in order to maintain or improve the quality of our service, for training purposes or to promote and provide OnStar service. OnStar advisors may also remain on the line if, during a request for service, we conference in a third party such as emergency service providers or the police. It is important for you to know that these parties may also separately record and/or monitor the interaction. We may also review your interactions with OnStar's automated services such as OnStar Virtual Advisor for training and/or quality improvement purposes.

Edited by Gossamer

You can turn off tge GPS on your phone and use security software to circumvent most intrusions on a cellphone . Beyond that just common sense precautions , you only need to be a little tech oriented to do this . You would need to be a direct target which is unlikely unless you are a criminal . Even if your are a criminal , you need only to replace the sim card on a regular basis to thwart that threat . For those that get their data stolen i suggest they allowed it to happen to themselves by risky behavior , public wifi , malicious apps , not using virus protection on android ect ect ect . You will never have the data logging capability of Onstar .The only question is who they sell that info to or if they will , they retain that right at any time to do so without any permission . Wish I still had the letter they sent me a few years ago .

Just to clarify, I am not defending OnStar or it's practices, just pointing out the ridiculousness of worrying about OnStar's privacy, when all of us probably carry the least private and secure item available to consumers (read your cellphone company's privacy policy).

According to the portion of OnStar's privacy policy that I read, they can, will, and do share non-identifiable info with whomever they want to but will not share personal info without permission unless required by law or to provide service.

Do you really believe that the cellphone providers don't have the "data logging ability of OnStar"?

The only info OnStar has that your cellphone company doesn't is your vehicle's VIN.

In my case, my cellphone, my car and my OnStar account are not in my name nor the name of anyone I live with, so even the billing addresses are not mine. B)

• 4 weeks later...

Have you not read or heard anything on the news lately? Anything and everything is being tracked with very loosely awarded warrants. I also really dislike OnStar being able to call me a project a message any time they want, boy did that piss me off near the end on my trial period!