Any 2016-2019 Spark owners out there with NO problems?

Most posts here deal with problems owners are having with their Spark.

It gives one the impression these cheap little Korean imports have lots of problems.

My guess is there are many more Spark owners out there who have experienced very few problems.

I hope you  will take time to post your "good" experience, age and miles driven etc.

My 2017 Spark had only one very minor issue, both front doors squeak while opening.

Other than that it is running like a clock, very smooth idle, good acceleration, no leaks, no lights burned out.

My oil life monitor is at 7% so I made appointment for oil change with full synthetic for about 50 bucks at dealer. But oil dipstick shows full and oil looks clear and with no burned smell. But it is still under full warranty for 3 more months so I scheduled the oil change. I have about 20k miles on the Spark LS.

Edited by Bobby MSME

None so far with my 2017. Mostly used in stop/go town driving so a lot of clutching and shifting. 41 MPG.

I've always given the door hinge pins/bushings on my vehicles a shot of lube a couple times a year to keep them from squeaking/wearing. 70's cars were famous for getting saggy doors that you would have to lift up to latch because the hinge pins/bushings would wear if you didn't keep them lubed and it would throw those long heavy doors out of alignment. 

19 hours ago, Fire Spark said:

None so far with my 2017. Mostly used in stop/go town driving so a lot of clutching and shifting. 41 MPG.

I've always given the door hinge pins/bushings on my vehicles a shot of lube a couple times a year to keep them from squeaking/wearing. 70's cars were famous for getting saggy doors that you would have to lift up to latch because the hinge pins/bushings would wear if you didn't keep them lubed and it would throw those long heavy doors out of alignment. 

What type of lube to you use on door hinges? Grease, oil or something else?

I like chain lube because it sprays and penetrates as a liquid and then sets up and gets tacky once it is in place. I've also used motor oil from a squeeze bottle with a long needle tip.  Honestly any generic spray lube in a can with a straw would work fine as long as there is no warnings of ruining paint on the label.

On 11/26/2019 at 0:01 AM, Bobby MSME said:

Most posts here deal with problems owners are having with their Spark.

It gives one the impression these cheap little Korean imports have lots of problems.

My guess is there are many more Spark owners out there who have experienced very few problems.

I hope you  will take time to post your "good" experience, age and miles driven etc.

My 2017 Spark had only one very minor issue, both front doors squeak while opening.

Other than that it is running like a clock, very smooth idle, good acceleration, no leaks, no lights burned out.

My oil life monitor is at 7% so I made appointment for oil change with full synthetic for about 50 bucks at dealer. But oil dipstick shows full and oil looks clear and with no burned smell. But it is still under full warranty for 3 more months so I scheduled the oil change. I have about 20k miles on the Spark LS.

Mine (LS '18) has 13,000 km and runs like a clock, too. I was used to Hondas, but a look

under the Spark's hood convinced me t'was worth a try : simple, well organized

components, exactlly what I look for in any mechanical contraption.

I had one freak problem with the block heater element toasting itself for no apparent

reason, so I decided to remove its cord's thermostatic gimmick and run it on a 

staight, normal extension after changing the element myself ( didn't wish to argue

with the dealer, see). Works just fine as I switch it on (@ minus 10 deg C) 2hrs  before go  from inside the house : no flashing ENG. light, no codes.

I do my own maintenance (years of working on bikes helps) and find it utterly simple to work on.

I see some people are up to 100,000 mi. without major issue with the '16+  Spark,

so fully expect mine to last a long time. 

Ah, I've thrown a couple of RustGuard cans into the innards, too, drilling holes

everywhere I saw fit  -holes make it lighter, faster haha.

Fuel mileage was an incredible 58 mpg during a 2,000km-

long recent trip to Québec city ! (95-100kmh  as I like it).

Edited by aguim
On 11/28/2019 at 8:25 PM, aguim said:

Ah, I've thrown a couple of RustGuard cans into the innards, too, drilling holes

everywhere I saw fit  -holes make it lighter, faster haha.

If you live where they use salt on roads during winter, rust will be a problem. Same if you live near any ocean. So good thinking.

I used to do the same thing during my 37 years in Chicago area...throw in cans of rust fighters in every hole and nook and cranny under and around the lower part of car. I am now too old to do car maintenance even though physically I can do it, but  let some one else crawl under the car and get hands dirty haha. I just had full synthetic oil change done at dealer on Wednesday, for $53 including tax and disposal, and that includes tire rotation and washing the car! (I had a coupon from them by email).

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 LT 5spd and have had only 1 problem with it so far, every now and again the apple car play causes the screen to freeze on the “Chevy Mylink” screen. I think this might just be a problem with CarPlay though, as it goes away when I unplug and wait before I replay my phone. As far as mechanically speaking my spark has been flawless. 21k on the clock and I’ll be very surprised if it has any major problems before 100k. Even the plastic seems to be holding up well which is pretty impressive to me.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2017 Spark and other than being rear ended when I first got it, I have had no problems.  I drive it mostly back/forth to work which is under 2 miles, but it has been from NY to Myrtle Beach and many trips around western NY state.  I am driving it to the Keys come April.  I love my little spark, Petunia, she has 23k miles on her, and she just great.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 7:48 PM, 19sparkpower said:

My 2019 Spark LS has been good to me! Well... Apple CarPlay screws up a lot and it’s really frustrating because I need to drive not fiddle with it the entire ride while trying to keep my eyes on the road! But it does usually work just a little slow at times.

From what I have read there are many complaints about Apple Car Play in GM vehicles having issues like this. Problem is who do you blame. Is it a GM issue or is it Apple. 

5 hours ago, Ray Dockrey said:

From what I have read there are many complaints about Apple Car Play in GM vehicles having issues like this. Problem is who do you blame. Is it a GM issue or is it Apple. 

Honestly I want to blame GM but something tells me it’s Apple.. now I do have the 6s so it’s fairly old and I have problems with the phone as it is. I’m curious if I were to hook up the new iPhone to see if I have any issues. Then again you did say there has been multiple complaints and who knows if those complaints are coming from people with newer gen iphones

• 3 months later...

no problems with my 2019 spark LS 5 speed manual with 14K miles. funny looking

cool little car. i am an old-school coaster (hypermile) and i get 46 - 47 MPG. this is

a lost never-been-popular driving skill that i have been doing for 45 years.

requires a manual transmission, now almost extinct. i also like the manual

windows and door locks, also almost extinct. added bonus of NO buttons on

the steering wheel, unheard of today. spark is special.

• 1 month later...

2019 LT1 manual with about 6500 miles.  I’ve had the car for about a year now and zero problems mechanically or with the car play.  I average about 37 mpg(driving back and forth to work, mix of highway and city).  

Love the car and the simplicity of it.. my only wishes for it would be to have a comfortable drivers seat and a legit center console/armrest.

Thank you all posters...I expected many posters with few MECHANICAL problems with their Spark. 

The Apple play stuff is something GM probably bought as an assembly so unfair to blame GM.

My Spark 2017 is 3.5 years old and does lots of short runs under 5 miles. Mileage is low  but I am  happy 

about zero leaks, zero breakdowns, zero fail to start, zero CEL's (check engine light) etc. STarts at the flick 

of the switch and runs like a clock every time.

Well my ltz 17 engine failed at 30k kilometers

one connecting rod broke off and destroyed the engine at 4K rpm 

luckily under warranty

The dash unit keeps getting once a month stuck on Chevy emblem when I plug my iPhone 
gm replaced my dash with new 

keeps happening

Same thing to my friends Chevy spark lt17

just to be clear I drive careful my car just drive a lot  And far from time to time 

right now I hit 110k kilometers 

Edited by Shluki
  • 9 months later...

Have A 2016 lt with ~90k on the clock. No mechanical problems to report decent fuel economy good stereo and by and large everything does what it needs to generally you won't see people on the forums who don't have problems so we are in the minority but this is for such a cheap car a well made vehicle IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

The battery in our 2011 Chevy HHR is 10 years old, the car has 61,000 miles and was purchased new in 2011. The battery is still working good, so not gonna replace it. The car was always garage kept but has seen wet & cold weather in WA state for many years.

So why has the battery lasted 10+ years? My best guess is it is located FAR FAR away from the hot engine. It is actually in the rear under the trunk (HHR has a hatch in rear).

So in my 2017 Spark LS, with CVT, I covered the battery with insulation pads. Will  be interesting if this tiny battery will last 7+ years protected from the heat from nearby engine.

Edited by Bobby MSME
  • 3 months later...

My 2018 Spark has 68,000 miles on it and the only unexpected problem is I had to replace the battery at 65,000 miles.

As one could probably guess, I do alot of highway driving, and do get 33MPG doing 80MPH. For one tank of gas I did not go over 65 mph (That was difficult!) and did post 38mph. I have no trouble getting up to speed quickly and there is ample power to pass travelling at those speeds. Just steady, strong pressure on the gas pedal and the CVT gives me suprisingly strong acceleration.

Changed the tires at 60,000. Purchased some that were better on the freeway and not 4 season. I live in South Florida where the roads are smooth and I don't need winter traction tires.

Brakes were still at about 30% at the last oil change and rotation so I suspect those will have to be changed soon.

Oil is changed whent the oil monitor tells me to, every 7000 to 7500 miles with synthetic at the dealer. They charged me $119.95 for 3 changes which includes a tire rotation and a car wash.

The A/C is ice cold, drives on the highway great, easy to park in tight spots, starts every time, is the perfect size (I'm 6'3") and is really fun to drive.

I am really thriled with my Spark.

One quick question, when should I change the trans fluid?

Edited by Babnab
Spacing