Do you have cold, cool, cold, cool, A/C?

The dealer only covers the rental fee, I just paid the insurance to make sure I don't have to buy a Cruze if it gets wrecked. And I will be truly angry if my car isn't done tomorrow because that means an extra 3 days!

On the plus side Grace from Chevy called me today to see if I had an update, since I didn't she called the dealer and then called me back. I have a feeling this A/C issue is a hot subject with them, they really should figure out a production range and have everyone come in for a checkup and possible repair.

And I think my recirc. flap is working today, couldn't make it fail with just the fan so I'll have to test it with A/C when I pick the car up. I still think it may be a logic issue and it may even be a solder joint that fails when it is cold and flexes back to function when it is warm. I chase this kind of problem all the time, people look at me funny when I stick an $8000 video camera in the freezer.

BTW, this is one of the worst cars I've ever driven, even the beat to death loaners were better than this. The visibility in this car is horrible unless you are more than 6'5" and I'm only close to 6', wish they had a Sonic and this Enterprise hasn't ever had any Sparks yet. Not sure of the year, but a friend at work has a 2010 Cruze and it is way better.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to start a thread to keep track of the cold/cool A/C issue that some of us are experiencing. Also we can post updates and possible fixes. Hope GM gets to see this is not an isolated problem. We

Wow what a moron

I totally understand your position, and what your responsibilities are as a moderator. I enjoy exchanging ideas with members, and don't believe I have ever tried to engage anyone in a pissing contest.

Posted Images

That's a real bummer, you shouldn't have to shell out any money, because of a defect with the car, and since the dealer is paying, that takes your credit card out of play. Most decent cards will cover the collision, if you pay with their card. I also believe it is a hot issue, we are just a miniscule group here, but look at the percentage of defective units, how is that playing out percentage wise with the supposedly 35,000 cars they sold, during a brutally hot summer. That is why I would like to see a quick fix, because as the weather cools, so will peoples tempers, they need to feel pressure, and keep getting hammered. The southern folks will continue to holler, but as you know,by mid September cooling will be a non issue up here in the northeast.

Ha! Looks like the rental company scammed you into buying their "extra insurance", which is covered by your own insurance you already have. I guess they wanted to make more than the $28 per day GM is paying them. Been renting cars for years, never let them con me into it, and when they pressed me hard on it, I called corporate and got a free day for the hassle the agent gave me for declining it.

I hear you, what is the lemon law in Texas? I've researched it here in NJ, and it is a fairly simple process, and I plan to use it, if they f*ck me around, when I decide to bring it in. I have it reported, with a case #, but I don't want to be running back and forth over bullsh*t. I am waiting for the "fix". Here in Jersey, if the problem is not fixed after two attempts, you send a certified letter to GM, notifying them that you intend to invoke the "Lemon Law", they then have 10 days to get it right, on their third attempt. If it still is not right, the NJ Dept. of Consumer Affairs will give them the option to either give you a new car, or a full refund of the purchase price, you can refuse the new car, and opt for the refund, it is totally up to you. You must have all receipts, and a copy of the letter, and you have 24 months or 24,000 miles to act. We also have Lemon Law Liars Lawyers in the yellow pages that will take on the case for you, on a contingency basis. I know you're pi**ed, but try to cool down, if you trade now, you will take a major hit, let's screw them, why should we pay for their screw ups.

I hear you, what is the lemon law in Texas? I've researched it here in NJ, and it is a fairly simple process, and I plan to use it, if they f*ck me around, when I decide to bring it in. I have it reported, with a case #, but I don't want to be running back and forth over bullsh*t. I am waiting for the "fix". Here in Jersey, if the problem is not fixed after two attempts, you send a certified letter to GM, notifying them that you intend to invoke the "Lemon Law", they then have 10 days to get it right, on their third attempt. If it still is not right, the NJ Dept. of Consumer Affairs will give them the option to either give you a new car, or a full refund of the purchase price, you can refuse the new car, and opt for the refund, it is totally up to you. You must have all receipts, and a copy of the letter, and you have 24 months or 24,000 miles to act. We also have Lemon Law Liars Lawyers in the yellow pages that will take on the case for you, on a contingency basis. I know you're pi**ed, but try to cool down, if you trade now, you will take a major hit, let's screw them, why should we pay for their screw ups.

I still get notifications of all of these posts and have been watching and feeling terribly about how GM is treating their loyal customers. I did trade mine in and just like Walt said, I lost money. But I was so ready I did not care. I don't know if OK has the same lemon laws that Jersey does and I didn't have the energy to pursue it. I hope that you all either get it fixed once and for all, or get restitution. I will be watching your posts. And if you do decide to bail, Hyundai does have the best warranty in the business! and I am SUPER happy with my Veloster! :)

Realizing now I'm stuck with this car.

I traded in my G35 sedan on this, and trade in barely covers what I owe on it. I'm not going to lose this much money on someone else's mistake.

Looks like I'll be getting familiar with the Texas lemon laws

Call GM support, like Greg said. Explain what has happened, and get a service request#, granted they can't do much, but they will document your complaints, and lean on the dealership. I got a # about two weeks ago, and being I haven't gone to the dealership, they can't close out the #. They have called me twice, so far urging me to get the car checked, and I give them the same old, when you can fix it properly, I will go. Bottom line, it is a great little car, it is the damned a/c that sucks, and this goes way beyond this forum, there will have to be some kind of resolution.

I have emailed GM, and used their Request a Contact form and I've heard nothing back. I chatted with a rep but that was useless.

I guess I can try calling them. I just figured they wouldnt tell me anything (which is the same response I'm getting from everyone so far)

I will agree with you, it is a good car for the money. But living in an area with 8 months of summer, half of which is 98-115, having a good AC is extremely important to me :(

I didnt purchase a new car for this. I could have easily went and bought a beater Civic for $5k and had just as much car as what I'm paying $16k+ for.

Edited by Lazerface

I also mentioned this to my case worker at Chevy, she said you really need to call and get a case started. They should have replied to your email, did you get a confirmation email saying the system accepted it? Did you check your spam folder?

Yes I actually emailed and requested to be contacted twice.

Both times I got a confirmation that the request was received. But I never heard anything else.

That was almost a month ago when I took the car in for the second time.

Edited by Lazerface

I've said it before and although my new compressor is an improvement., its not a fix by any means...

it's had the compressor switched out once and now while driving it's much cooler but not cold... when idle the a/c is fresh with circulation

I had an appointment scheduled but decided to cancel since the car is in a working condition for me this summer.. again it is not a fix

I don't plan on taking the car in perhaps next week and I'll take the rental on my Vegas trip.

her in CA I need 4 trips to the dealer for the same issue and 30 days in the shop not consecutive

my issue is I only drive automatic might be getting ahead of myself but if they don't take the car back I don't want the new transition and I've already done my stereo set up to the car.... guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there...

funny thing is that members here could already have a solid lemon case and might get their money back they just gotta so some research on where their states stand on the law.

personally I would still want a spark... and if that can't be worked out then I'd negotiate for a sonic if I would be in that position

I'll be giving Chevy support a call and voicing my frustrations in the next few days

Edited by Paul Delgado

whoknew1985
Year :2013
Model LS
Transmission:Manual
Build date: 08/12
Problem: Yes

I am having this issue as well. My A/C will cool as long as I am driving, but at a stop, it blows warm air. Traffic jams are a major problem. :rant2:

Needless to say I am getting frustated and do not look forward to my trip to Florida next week. Driving there will be okay, but city driving will be no fun. I have been researching this issue and look at different reviews for this model car. I have seen our cars promoted on commercials on television. :rant: I have decided that maybe something more needs to be done than just supporting each other in forums on the internet. I have decided to start writing reviews on different websites detailing the pros and the cons of these cars. I have been honest about how much I like the car, but given the details about the problems I am experiencing with this car. I have given the car high marks on the points I like but really low scores on the A/C issue, and if I would suggest my friends buy this car. I have added my review to www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com. If you look at the www.chevrolet.com site, they use the averaged rating for the Spark from www.kbb.com's site. It is currently at 8.9 out of 10. What if everyone of us were to take a few minutes to submit our review to the more popular websites and start spreading the truth about our issue. If everyone were to submit a review at www.kbb.com, maybe we could lower the listed ratings on www.cheverolet.com's site. Would General Motors notice? I know I researched this car when I was car shopping, and many more people today will compare prices and options before they visit the dealership. Maybe each of us can help push General Motors into finding a resolution to our problems faster. If nothing else, it made me feel better that I have a direction to go to vent my frustration in this matter. :runaway: What do you think?

I totally agree, they need to feel some heat, and we need to make some noise outside of the group. I will be posting a review on KBB, and Edmunds, later on in the day.

OK, Done..... They have to be reviewed before actually posting, so it may take a few days.

Edited by WaltK

whoknew1985

Model LS

I am having this issue as well. My A/C will cool as long as I am driving, but at a stop, it blows warm air. Traffic jams are a major problem. :rant2:

Needless to say I am getting frustated and do not look forward to my trip to Florida next week. Driving there will be okay, but city driving will be no fun. I have been researching this issue and look at different reviews for this model car. I have seen our cars promoted on commercials on television. :rant: I have decided that maybe something more needs to be done than just supporting each other in forums on the internet. I have decided to start writing reviews on different websites detailing the pros and the cons of these cars. I have been honest about how much I like the car, but given the details about the problems I am experiencing with this car. I have given the car high marks on the points I like but really low scores on the A/C issue, and if I would suggest my friends buy this car. I have added my review to www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com. If you look at the www.chevrolet.com site, they use the averaged rating for the Spark from www.kbb.com's site. It is currently at 8.9 out of 10. What if everyone of us were to take a few minutes to submit our review to the more popular websites and start spreading the truth about our issue. If everyone were to submit a review at www.kbb.com, maybe we could lower the listed ratings on www.cheverolet.com's site. Would General Motors notice? I know I researched this car when I was car shopping, and many more people today will compare prices and options before they visit the dealership. Maybe each of us can help push General Motors into finding a resolution to our problems faster. If nothing else, it made me feel better that I have a direction to go to vent my frustration in this matter. :runaway: What do you think?

I have added my review to auto.yahoo.com tonight. It does take a day or two before the reviews show up, but my review is already on www.kbb.com. There are 47 reviews on www.kbb.com currently, giving it a 8.8 score out of 10. If we add enough honest reviews giving others the possible problems that may be experienced, we can at least let prospective buyers know what to check if they choose to look at this car and at the most bring down their rating and let GM know we who are experiencing this A/C issue will not be silent about it. We can always go back and update our reviews after the fact and bring the score back up for them. Another 20 reviews on this site should really make a difference and bring the 8.8 rating down. :reading:

whoknew1985

Model LS

Good afternoon. I have checked the ratings on our car on www.kbb.com and found, thanks to everyones support, that the ratings have dropped from 8.9 out of 10 to 8.4 out of 10. There are only 51 ratings so far, and every new negative rating will have a noticeable effect. I will be on vacation for 8 days, and will keep thinking about what I can do to make some small ripples in the huge ocean of the internet. I am considering the possiblity of a facebook page dedicated to the issue to pass on new information and maybe gain some support across the different Spark forums. Maybe a form letter can be created and distributed that can be sent to General Motors as an form of protest. If nothing else, the letter can help if anyone tries to use the lemon law to get a new car. It can be sent certified and give GM notice that this needs to be repaired. I know that my state requires a notice of intent to use the lemon law. I am getting ready to go to Florida, and will check back in when I get back. Thanks for your help.

My car started this issue just recently. I have an appointment for tomorrow at the dealership, and I got a case number as well. I will advise on what they say.

Edit: Apparently there is a new software update/recall for my car. I have no idea what it is, but I will let everyone know asap.

Edited by Lil Dew