hello from ATX

Just bought a new Spark LS the other day, lurked around several forums and decided to join this one. I had a 2010 Hyundai Accent before this car, so I'm a small car vet. So far 250 miles with a mpg readout of 36.3 mpgs mixed driving, and the engine isn't broken in yet. This is a upgrade from a MT Accent, just a little slower, but enough to get the job done. First GM Korea product purchase, I hope it turns out to be as reliable as the Accent was.

My ave speed is 44 mph, so that's why my mpgs are where they are. I could imagine what they could be going steady 60mph, which is not possible in a state with the highest limits in the nation. I have the 5sp, others on fuelly report the higher numbers with this trans. I avoid rush hours, I'll take the bus if I have to go anywhere during rush hours in this city of traffic problems.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Trancer07" data-cid="4749" data-time="1366449213"><p>

Interesting. The '06-'11 Accent hatchback is another car I've been interested in for years! Do you feel the Spark is an overall better car?</p></blockquote>

Yes, the Spark is a better car than that generation of Accent, in my opinion, that's why I traded that car in. I prefer manual trans cars, the gearing in that year Accent is bad for hwy and fuel mileage, but better for city performance. Also, there's more engine sound insulation in the Spark. Try driving a used Accent and compare. Now the current generation Accent is a step up from this car, and competes with the larger Sonic.

I saw one of these Sparks in Mexico a couple of years ago and thought why didn't we have those cool city cars here. Then I saw one and just had to have one. It was higher than my expectations. I did notice a tire vibration on the hwy, I'm having the dealer check them today. A good set Michelins would be nice, maybe next year?

Just had it at the dealer for the vibration at hwy speed. They found a defective tire, the cords had movement, it was also making a oscillating noise that changed in pitch with the vibration. The tires are Goodyear Integrity, anybody else having problems with these tires? The dealer had to order a replacement.

I've had a few tires throw belts over the years, and they mimic all kinds of serious problems. I had one create a front end shimmy, that felt like the ball joints fell out. I've got the Goodyears, so far so good. Surprised they didn't have any in stock.

Maybe just a fluke, things like this happen, I've had defective tires before, just not on a new car. I'm concerned about the B temperature rating, since I live in such a hot climate. I don't expect these tires to last, like the one set of tires I had that didn't have a A grade for temperature. The treads wear faster during the summer.

Took 3 trips to the dealer to fix the tire vibration issue, but it's finally fixed! They replaced one tire that was really bad, the vibration remained. They tried balancing all four again, with a different machine, found they were all off due to calibration being off. Vibration still there. They had me go test drive another Spark with the service manager, guess what? Rode like silk at 70mph, he also noticed it. They swapped the wheels and tires off the new one for me, then went on a drive in mine, now it's silky smooth on the hwy. I got to keep the wheels and tires, and they're warranty out the other car with my defective tires. I'm very happy they did that for me, and not make me wait for tires, or throw me in a loop. Now I feel more comfortable at speed, and no more howling like sounds from the back tires.

So far every process with the dealer in question has been painless. From sales to service department, I'm much happier than the last purchase I made from another brand dealer owned by a giant corporation. It's a huge Chevrolet dealer, but family owned and not a chain. I wish it was not in one of Austin's "toilet" neighborhoods, but that element can be entertaining to watch.