Anybody hide their USB port?

I hate having to unplug an iPod or other USB device when I park overnight due to vehicle thefts, so I've temporarily unclipped and moved the USB/Aux "UNIT" behind the dash, but it leaves an ugly hole.

The biggest problem is the cable that plugs into the back of the "UNIT" that clips into the dash and houses the aux minijack port and usb port is a weird format.

It's essentially a male mini usb cable end for the usb side of the jack.

I've picked up a Female Mini USB to Female Standard USB adapter (which are really hard to find) and am going to give it a shot. Then my outward facing USB port will just be non-functional and I'll reroute it to the glove box where it'll be more safe and out of sight.

I hate when designers don't think of how visible the ports are... putting it in the glove box would seem like such a better option.

Nice, I just ordered one from ebay for $1.79

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-A-female-to-mini-5-pin-female-adapter-mp4-/170618393210?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b9a6127a

Im also going to try to fund a USB splitter to see if i can keep functionality of both ports

Just a matter of finding a USB Mini (A) that splits to 2 USB (A)

This is actually why I havent even bothered to bring my iPod to the car.

Great tip, I'll be stoked to be able to leave the iPod in the car if I want.

Edited by Lazerface

You can use a USB hub, this if from the owners manual:

"Up to two USB devices and one iPod can be played through a USB hub.All devices may not be supported,depending on the performance of the USB hub. If there is not enough power supply,it may not operate normally."

Yeah my wife's Jetta has the iPod/aux input in the glove box and its so much nicer

Major design oversight putting it in plain sight

Yeah I think they just dropped the ball on the spark, our Cruze has the the USB port hidden in the cubby under the armrest between the front seats and I was checking out a sonic when I was having the radio update done and the have 2 glove boxes and the USB is in the smaller top box.

That's good. Just to let u know there is a standard mini USB jack on the back of the radio. We still don't know what it is for but you can try.

Really? Will I need to pull my stereo to see this port or could you tell me which side it on? Maybe I can reach it through the glove box.... I have small hands :)

I ended up pulling my stereo, unplugging the mini USB that runs down to the console, then I ran a new one under the dash to the glove box with a Female to Female USB adapter.

Does anyone know if I could run a USB splitter behind the stereo to hook up both the glovebox and original USB or would that pull too much from the stereo?

I also tried that Mini USB in the back, nada. It doesn't do anything, tried my phone and ipod, nothing. Maybe it does have something to do with how thy update at the dealership :/

I ended up pulling my stereo, unplugging the mini USB that runs down to the console, then I ran a new one under the dash to the glove box with a Female to Female USB adapter.

Does anyone know if I could run a USB splitter behind the stereo to hook up both the glovebox and original USB or would that pull too much from the stereo?

I also tried that Mini USB in the back, nada. It doesn't do anything, tried my phone and ipod, nothing. Maybe it does have something to do with how thy update at the dealership :/

Yes you can put a USB hub there. If you look back at the other posts in this thread I posted where it says you can. I also think it does not have to be powered. It can be a self powered hub.

As for the extra mini USB, that is not how they update from a dealership standpoint. They load the update on a flash drive and stick it into the USB port. So if you go in for an update I would make sure you connect the factory console USB back so it does not cause a problem.

That's a good possibility, I've been looking into aftermarket cameras, and would really prefer something from GM, if the price is in the ballpark. Their track record on accessory pricing up to this point has been ridiculous.

That's a good possibility, I've been looking into aftermarket cameras, and would really prefer something from GM, if the price is in the ballpark. Their track record on accessory pricing up to this point has been ridiculous.

I want a backup camera, like the pre sales PDF said there is a part number for the backup camera. There is also the latest update to address a back up camera error. I just hope they did not scrub it from manufacture. Maybe someone can come out with a lockpick like I have for our Dodge.

If no factory camera comes out I was already looking at a rearview mirror with built in LCD. I already have a spare backup camera. So for about $150-$170 it's possible.

Wiring would be easy. Just remove the dome light with onstar and fish the wire to there. Then just fish the wire to one of the A pillars. Just remember to go behind the curtain air bag. After that the rest is easy. I have already pulled down the dome light to check things out.