Terrrrrrrrible speakers on Base model (US 2013 Spark)

I took it upon myself to change out the front and rear speakers, and run it through an amp. I put 5.25s in the front and 4x6s in the rear, all run through a cheap Jensen amp.

It's loud like I wanted, but there's absolutely no bass. Is there any type of setting that I can put it on to get some halfway decent bass, instead of just rumbling?

I was thinking about putting an 8" sub in the trunk for moderate bass, but don't really know how to wire that to the amp, which is also in the trunk. Any ideas? I'm stumped and really disappointed with my current set up, although it's light years better than the stock speakers.

Would this Pyle Sub work? It's cheap and I think it'll get the job done.

post-309-0-77359000-1348756604_thumb.jpg

I just picked up my LS this morning on the way to work, and yes I agree the speakers need attention. I'll start looking into this issue another day.

I also noticed that the LS information display (radio) does almost nothing, can't monitor or reset any of the vehicle parameters beyond how long the lights stay on after exit the vehicle. Need to look at the direct from China places and consider the upgraded infotainment system that hopefully handles more functions like the TPMS so swapping to snow tires is easier.

Did you know that you can buy new radio cover panels so that you can install a double DIN sized radio? This is probably on my list if I don't go for the factory style system.

All this will probably wait because I want fog lights first.

I just picked up my LS this morning on the way to work, and yes I agree the speakers need attention. I'll start looking into this issue another day.

I also noticed that the LS information display (radio) does almost nothing, can't monitor or reset any of the vehicle parameters beyond how long the lights stay on after exit the vehicle. Need to look at the direct from China places and consider the upgraded infotainment system that hopefully handles more functions like the TPMS so swapping to snow tires is easier.

Did you know that you can buy new radio cover panels so that you can install a double DIN sized radio? This is probably on my list if I don't go for the factory style system.

All this will probably wait because I want fog lights first.

Stock speaks almost always suck. Don't know what you can really expect from the Spark since it's so very affordable though. I can't really knock Chevy on this one. Now, what I didn't know is that you can buy radio cover panels. Are these from Chevy or ?

I ended up putting a 10" sub in the back and the problem is fixed. Excellent sound, even from the stock radio.

And what radio cover panels are you talking about? Can you provide a link? I'd like to upgrade the radio to double din but can't figure out where to get the bezel.

This is the only one so far, I probably won't get to testing these for a long time because too many other things need to be done right now to test this kind of upgrade. Fog lights and snow tires are really the only things I'll be doing straight away.

I have the LT version and the sound is pretty nice. You get to set the balances via the MyLink display with a nice touch screen cabin graphic.

The 1LT is supposed to have 6 speakers, but I can only find 4. The bass is OK for me, but I play bass and like to analyse bass parts in songs so

a little help in the bass department would be nice.

Maybe it's only the 2LT's that get the 2 subs??? If the 1LT's have them, where could they be???

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To all

I replaced my front speakers very easily using 2 small flat heads to pry the grills off. I recommend kicker ks40 as they are designed for a factory drop in replacement. I originally purchased rockford fosgate power t142 which have a beefier surround and overall feel sturdier but the dimensions would require cutting into the dash. I kept my rockford 4×6 for the rear speakers which have extra long screws making them perfect to install as a floating mount without any customization. I purchased the rockford pbr300x4 which is the smallest amp I've ever seen roughly the size of a cd case and my birth sheet has it pushing 83 watts a channel rms. I'll have to keep it at 1/4 power as the speakers aren't even capable of 50 watts rms but for 150 dollars you just can't compete with the size and ease of instalation. It only needs 10 gauge wire but 12 gauge speaker wire is more than acceptable as its power and grounding according to rockford techs. It installs easily behind the glove compartment for easy tuning access. I used an audio control lc7i line output converter to give me the necessary preamp outputs for my amp. Its great because it has accu base which alleviates some of the poor base output issues of the factory stereo. One thing of note I noticed a previous post about using a bent screwdriver to get the screws out of the front speakers? A small rachet with a Phillips bit works best and a bit extension for the rear installation. Took half an hour for the install. You'll need dikes to cut the speaker wires and the proper connectors can be purchased for 3 bucks at any auto parts store. The only other tool would be wire crimpers.

P.S.

Jdub there is no way you got 5.25 speakers in the front without cutting up the dash. Also...a jensen 4 ch? That cant possibly sound good. What's 150 bucks for truly great sound? Get the pbr. The audio control lc7i was 140 but sooo worth it. I'd recommend the sub I got as it can't be beat for performance and size but thats another post

• 8 months later...

Has anyone purchased/Installed the Kicker KS40's?

id say most of us here on the board have the kicker front and back set up....

rears blew out on me once but i realized that was my fault... my tablet (connected via AUX) had the equalizer on full blast which blew out the passangers side... the replacements are holding strong

Is the stereo on the base model upgraded for 2014 at all, or still the same 2013 specs? Only wish it had a CD player in it.

my guess its the exact same specs

thanks to bluer i know i went with the kickers :worship:

id say most of us here on the board have the kicker front and back set up....

rears blew out on me once but i realized that was my fault... my tablet (connected via AUX) had the equalizer on full blast which blew out the passangers side... the replacements are holding strong

my guess its the exact same specs

thanks to bluer i know i went with the kickers :worship:

That's good you figured out the blown problem. I'm almost a year next month with my Kicker setup and very happy. I think they have really opened up and sound better today especially the sub.

I have people ask what's in there when you pull up and they are surprised with such a little unit.

Thanks for your replies! I just bought the base model 2014 spark, was an upgrade from an old Buick century that I had packed full of audio upgrades. Alas, I dont think I can ever get that sound again in such a small car, but was wondering if I could simply swap the speakers for those of a higher quality.

The Kickers front and back will be powered fine with the stock head unit? Or will it need an amp?

From what I have gathered, bluer only uses that amp for the sub - just grabs the information signal from the rear speakers.