Should I buy Spark at this time

Hi,

I stopped by a dealership today and wanted to have a test driving for a Spark. The salesman told me that if you don't buy it today, you can't drive. I think this is weird. I asked why I can't drive.

Later, he tells me that Spark is stopping selling now (This is what I understand, I might make mistakes), because the company find a problem of the hood. According to the dealer, he says it is a minor problem and could affect the car after 20 years. You know the dealer always says it's not a big deal. He says that they needs to update all Sparks and then I can do test driving. I ask him when this will finish. He has no ideas. After he talks to his machinist, he tells me that I can do test driving, but only do it on the parking place not on road. I ask him can you sell it or can I buy it. He says yes. After I buy it, he will call me. I can drive in and they will fix the hood.

I have several questions:

1>For Spark owners in this forum, do you get any call from dealership and ask you to come back to fix the hood? What is this problem? Is it a serious problem?

2> Is it OK to buy Spark at this time? I want to buy Spark auto 2014 LS. He says 2014 and 2015 all have this hood problems. I can't do a real test driving. You know you can't drive fast on park place. Also, the dealer is not allowed their clients to do a test driving on road. Is it for me to buy a car to drive on road even he can sell it to me. I don't understand why he can't let me do test driving but he can still sell it to me?

3> He offered me ~13,500 for the car. He told me that if I wanted to buy it today, he can talk to the manage and see if he can make it lower. I asked how much he can give it to me. He told me "if I don't buy, he won't tell me". He then asked me how much do I want to get it. So, if you were me, how much you want to tell him? I know the lower the better, but I want to offer a price that both side would like to accept. Give me some ideas.

Thanks,

I think that dealer is full of it by telling you that you can't drive the car unless you buy it. Pass up the Spark, and GM for that matter, becouse of how the dealer network treats customers. I suggest looking at the base Ford Fiesta S, or Nissan Versa, which is close to this price range. The Mitsubishi Mirage is also close in price, but it's too new to determine if it's reliable or a dud like the Spark,

So, you think he is lying? There is no so called hood problems? Why do they decline me test driving? Every body does test driving when they buy a car? Is this a GM dealership rule? How could they sell a car, if they don't let customers drive. This is so ridiculous!!!

Never heard of that hood problem.... Sounds like to me he may be wanting to sell a more profitable car instead. Did he suggest a Sonic or Cruze?

I have never had any of the issues many have posted on here with any GM dealer and I have been buying them for 45 years. Some are so crazy I don't see how any dealer can stay in business treating people like that.

Edited by Angrybird12

There is absolutely no reason for you to not be allowed to drive that car. If you are truly interested in this particular car, then speak with the sales manager, and tell him that you want to test drive this car, and totally ignore this salesman. If you feel that you are not treated satisfactorily, then just walk away from that dealership, and look elsewhere. There is no reason to be afraid of buying a Spark, at the present time, the problems they've had, have been, and are being addressed. The hood on these cars are fine, there have been a few rumors that there may eventually be a recall, regarding the hood latch, and that's all it is, a rumor, there has been no reports of anyone having any hoods popping open. If you can't drive it, don't buy it, go to another dealer who will let you test drive the car.

Edited by WaltK

There is a hood latch recall but not in effect just yet. It is in the computer for my car but not totally official. It's sounds like that dealer is just taking it way to far. It probably states in the recall that before you sell any sparks on the lot this has to be taken care of first, fix dealer inventory before sale. This is on pretty much any car maker with a revision after dealer takes delivery and before unit is sold to customer, standard practice.

There is a hood latch recall but not in effect just yet. It is in the computer for my car but not totally official. It's sounds like that dealer is just taking it way to far. It probably states in the recall that before you sell any sparks on the lot this has to be taken care of first, fix dealer inventory before sale. This is on pretty much any car maker with a revision after dealer takes delivery and before unit is sold to customer, standard practice.

Hi Bluer101,

Thanks. If there is a problem as the salesman says, is there any rules that I can do test driving before they fix the car. It really makes confused. You know. He told that he can still sell it to me? If he sells it to me. I will definitely drive it on road. I am trying to figure out if he is lying. If he lies, I won't trust anything he says (price, etc).

Ben

I don't understand if he can't let you test drive it how can he sell it to you? Sorry but that is a rotten dealership. I would definitely go elsewhere. Even if it means buying something else.

Thanks. I think you're right. I call other dealership and ask them if I can do test driving? They all said OK. It seems that they didn't hear of the hood problem.

I actually have this same issue, I was going to buy a used '13 spark and they said the recall just came out the day before (7 days ago). He just called me and said he's been on the phone with other dealers and nobody knows the fix yet so they can't sell any of them (it's hood related). If it was a non GM dealership they wouldn't have this issue, it's a GM policy. So I'm also waiting. He did let us test drive it but only on a back road right off the dealership, he made it clear we couldn't go into traffic on a regular road.

Edited by oldpueblo

I actually have this same issue, I was going to buy a used '13 spark and they said the recall just came out the day before (7 days ago). He just called me and said he's been on the phone with other dealers and nobody knows the fix yet so they can't sell any of them (it's hood related). If it was a non GM dealership they wouldn't have this issue, it's a GM policy. So I'm also waiting. He did let us test drive it but only on a back road right off the dealership, he made it clear we couldn't go into traffic on a regular road.

Yes. I called them again this morning. They give me the similar explanation. The only thing that makes me confused is that I can't drive on road, but they can still sell it to me? Did your salesman tell you that you can buy it at this time? or They can legally sell it to you? What if this is a major problem? How could I drive this unsafe car on road?

Also, they recommended Sonic if I worried about Spark. They told me they are similar (Spark and sonic). Does anyone know what the price difference between these two cars (Spark and Sonic, if both 2014, automatic LS)

Edited by sdpapet

No I couldn't buy it yet, I just left one trade there and drove home in my second trade. As soon as it's cleared we'll do the paperwork and I'll get the car. I even asked if I could sign some kind of waiver saying I know the risk, but they just wouldn't let me buy it. Who ever heard of a car salesman that won't sell a car. ;) For kicks I checked into a different dealership and they pulled up the same info on that VIN. So I'm just playing the waiting game, we're pretty set on the spark after all our research. :sad:

Yes. I called them again this morning. They give me the similar explanation. The only thing that makes me confused is that I can't drive on road, but they can still sell it to me? Did your salesman tell you that you can buy it at this time? or They can legally sell it to you? What if this is a major problem? How could I drive this unsafe car on road?

Also, they recommended Sonic if I worried about Spark. They told me they are similar (Spark and sonic). Does anyone know what the price difference between these two cars (Spark and Sonic, if both 2014, automatic LS)

You can go to Chevrolet.com and do a build your own on each one and see what the MSRP would be. You can also check if there are any rebates.

I just looked and the base price difference is about $2,100

Edited by Angrybird12

No I couldn't buy it yet, I just left one trade there and drove home in my second trade. As soon as it's cleared we'll do the paperwork and I'll get the car. I even asked if I could sign some kind of waiver saying I know the risk, but they just wouldn't let me buy it. Who ever heard of a car salesman that won't sell a car. ;) For kicks I checked into a different dealership and they pulled up the same info on that VIN. So I'm just playing the waiting game, we're pretty set on the spark after all our research. :sad:

Did your dealership tell you when this problem will be fixed? I asked mine. He has no idea. I feel it is gonna take long time.

From what I have read its that the latch may rust and cause it not to completely close when you shut the hood. A good coating of lithium grease on the latch should prevent this. If you have a Spark now I would check it every time the hood is opened and clean and lubricate it as needed. I don't understand why this a would cause a stop sale though. A inspection of the latch and lubrication should be all that is needed for now.

Edited by Angrybird12

It's an easy fix, they will replace the latch . It is a safety issue if the main latch isn't engaged and the secondary fails. There have been a couple of reports of that happening so GM will be cautious and hold the cars from being sold till they are fixed. A nuisance but you will have a much more durable latch installed that won't rust.

I read today that its the secondary latch that is rusting and may not engage properly. If the primary latch were to fail the secondary may not catch the hood and it could fly up. No accidents or injuries have been reported. The stop sale is until the dealers can get replacement parts installed.

I have inspected mine and added some lithium grease to help protect it until the parts are available.

From Motor Trend:

2013-2015 Chevrolet Spark

The Problem: Due to the possibility of premature corrosion at the hood latch pivot, the striker may not properly engage the secondary hood latch. This could cause the hood to unexpectedly open while the car is moving which increases the risk of a crash.

The Fix: Dealers will replace the striker and hood latch with new, anti-corrosive parts free of charge.

Number of Vehicles Potentially Affected: 89,294 2013-2015 Chevrolet Spark hatchbacks.

If you really want to buy a spark like I'd did I wouldn't let what you read on car forums make your decision for you , if you look on other brands forums there are problem there too . I rented a spark for the weekend and was very suprised how much I liked it I drove it several hundred miles to make sure it was a car I could live with , the mileage was very good mid 30s in town on the highway between 55-60 mph it stayed at 44.6 mpg this was without the ac on . seats were comfortable too.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked my 2014 up Monday evening they finally got the recall parts in for the hood latch I really like the spark , not let all the issues discourage you from buying one just make sure all the recalls are done. ,as I did. Good luck with your decision , iam very happy with my 2lt silver ice spark