I heard with some cars if you had a diagnostic reader, you can get into the computer and change more advanced settings for stuff like daytime running lights etc.

I need to look that up cause I sure don't see a relay to cut this thing off.

• 1 month later...

I have. The headlights came on automatically. Not sure if auto-lights are new for the 2014 LS, but the sensor for the automatic lights are even better calibrated than my wife's Kia Sedona.

And I noticed that there are two different indicator lights on my car's instrument panel. I have one indicator in the center right next to the passenger airbag indicator; that is for the DRL. And when my headlights come on, the DRL indicator disappears, and another indicator comes on under the speedometer; for the headlights.

Edited by Jopar_X

Auto lights are 2014, we don't have them. So far I haven't made it more than a few hundred yards before I realize what has happened.

Wow!! Then I can see why there is the frustration of DRL. Perhaps maybe that's why they added the auto feature on the 2014 LS models? There's got to be a way to either disable the DRL, or install an auto system; now that the new models offer it. I can't imagine it'd be too difficult to install the sensor on the dash, replace the lighting control, and the misc. parts to get the automatic feature.

Edited by Jopar_X

They could have put a bright LED into that little spot at the front of the lights where the European city light goes and it would have passed as a DRL, or half a dozen other options than running the headlights at 75%.

I'm wondering if the sensor can be added to the 2013 models? There is a flat circle dead center of the dash at the base of the windhslield. Like where a daylight sensor would go. Can you tell, Jopar, if that's where your sensor is?

I'm wondering if the sensor can be added to the 2013 models? There is a flat circle dead center of the dash at the base of the windhslield. Like where a daylight sensor would go. Can you tell, Jopar, if that's where your sensor is?

I believe from the release notes that's where it's at.

DRL should have a separate relay next to or near the headlamp relay. I look at the electrical schematics would be a reference to how to disconnect DRL, if they released a service manual, lol. I wonder how much the parts for auto headlamp sensor would be?

Edited by austex04

I went through every fuse and relay both under the hood and under the dash one by one, nothing turned off the DRL's.

I guess one could wire a manual switch to the respective fuses for the headlamps and taillights at the fuse box. Keep the stalk switch for the headlamps permanently on, and just use the manual switch to always turn the lights on and off?

Edited by gitsum

Pretty sure the dimming is controlled by the two big honking load resistors attached to the frame rails, there is a ground point very close that you can see from the top side. The resistors are just behind those ground points and I think the wires are crimped directly to the resistors (might be wrong). Disconnecting one of those might turn the DRL on that side off, or it might turn it to full power, not sure what they are doing.

Pretty sure the dimming is controlled by the two big honking load resistors attached to the frame rails, there is a ground point very close that you can see from the top side. The resistors are just behind those ground points and I think the wires are crimped directly to the resistors (might be wrong). Disconnecting one of those might turn the DRL on that side off, or it might turn it to full power, not sure what they are doing.

I wondered what those are for. Maybe I might experiment.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2013 1LT and my headlights are on all the time, regardless of time of time of day. As soon as I put it in reverse they turn on... and they don't go back out until I put the car back in park. The only way I know my headlights aren't actually on is when the gear box isn't illuminated and the light above the cup holders aren't on and the icon in tge dash gauge.. Not sure how the other models work. But that doesn't affect me that much, but my headlights are just always on...

I have a 2013 1LT and my headlights are on all the time, regardless of time of time of day. As soon as I put it in reverse they turn on... and they don't go back out until I put the car back in park. The only way I know my headlights aren't actually on is when the gear box isn't illuminated and the light above the cup holders aren't on and the icon in tge dash gauge.. Not sure how the other models work. But that doesn't affect me that much, but my headlights are just always on...

Thats the daytime running lights.