Stickers or Painting Wheels / Rims

I saw some heavy duty stickers on ebay that you put on the rims. Unfortunately, they don't fit the US version of the base model rims. I was wondering if there was some sort of paint or sticker that would fit that I could put on there? I'm hesitant to put stickers, since road rash would probably ruin them. Is there any heavy duty paint designed for this type of things. I'm broke and can't afford new rims, so I was thinking of painting the rims black. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

post-309-0-76559300-1348757816_thumb.jpg

Edited by jdub

Powdercoat would be best, but the tire needs to come off to do it and it's not going to be really cheap. I think you can get "special" paint for wheels at most auto stores in a spray can. Maybe one of the "hammer" finishes that Rustoleum offers because that won't show drips or rough spots as badly.

• 2 months later...

Really? I've never had that much luck getting Plastidip to hold unless it went all the way around the object (like dipping tool handles).

The other side of this is that balance is going to be extremely hit or miss, I don't think I would try this myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

good luck getting it to adhere to the emblems

i tried, and it just wouldnt work

I know this is an older thread, but I dont quite understand why yours didnt adhere?? I did my dodge trucks emblems and the emblems on the spark and it came out great. adhered perfectly i wander what was causing yours not to work out....

• 3 months later...

I painted the wheels on my Dodge Nitro a couple of years ago. I left the tire on but deflated them enough to get blue painters tape in the seal. Then i used fine steel wool to scuff them up enough for the primer to stick. Finally I applied two coats of a flat black I got from an auto parts store. You can seal coat them for better protection, but i wanted the flat look and the seal coat glosses them up. I had a few dings ere and there, but it was something i could easily touch up so long as you keep a spare can around.

edit: sorry about bringing this thread back from the dead ... i need to pay attention to the posting dates,

post-644-0-42149800-1369576083_thumb.jpg

post-644-0-02121600-1369576331_thumb.jpg

Edited by joshuar9476

I want to get something done to my wheels, but I don't: 1. Want to pay to get new wheels. 2. Get my stock wheels permanently painted. 3. Waste hours of my days waiting for plastidip to dry. 4. waste more hours fooling around with vinyl, lol... So basically, I;m screwed, haha.