Some little punkster punched a hole in my left rear light package in the middle of the night last weekend.

Not enough for an insurance claim so I looked at the Chevy/GM wholesale parts web sites.

The assembly is around $165-$170 with a CORE CHARGE of $50. I told them that mine was damaged

and they said GM wouldn't take it back as a core.

So let's see......

This is a, um, "CHUNK OF PLASTIC" with 3 holes in it (lamp socket holders, aka "HOLES")

Why in the heck would there be a core charge on this part ? Can they rebuild it ? No.

Would someone trade it in because it's dirty ? No

I found one on Ebay motors for $103, total with tax (shipping free) $113 and change. and...NO CORE CHARGE. lol

I thought this was too funny and stupid and wanted to share it with you all.

(by the way, this is an easy part to replace...... two philips screws and it pops out)

Jim....2013 Spark 2LT Automatic, Denim blue and they fixed the A/C (woo hoo !)

I went all they way through the order process without hitting the final submit button and never got anything about a core charge...

I have ordered a lot of parts from GMpartsdirect and it always lists any core charges before you submit your order.

I never dealt with that site you posted. It does not sound honest to wait till after you submit the order to tell you there is a core charge.

Edited by Angrybird12

I was just at my dealer and yes GM is charging a core charge on all lenses. They are even charging core charges on bumper covers now. They want the old part turned in to keep the parts out of aftermarket suppliers hands that will repair them.

I was wrong. Sorry.

Edited by Angrybird12

No problem Angrybird12. Of course as soon as I mentioned mine was damaged they said no way on the core refund.

I just got my brand new replacement from Ebay motors today and it even had all three lamps included. Total price was $113 with shipping.

It arrived by UPS in perfect condition. Now THATS a deal.

Have a great day and congrats on being a cancer survivor !

Jim

Edited by Vicvector
  • 4 weeks later...