Amber,

The dealership has put me in a rental car for now; they were able to read the P0304 code from the ECU but were not able to duplicate it (and I wasn't really sure they would be able to anyway).

The results of the oil consumption test show that the engine is down half a quart in ~1000 miles which my service advisor says is abnormal.

They have updated my case with GM (thank you Chevrolet customer care!) and are waiting to hear back from the technical department with what they should do next.

My Service Advisor says he hopes to have more information by the end of the day.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a known problem, but it rarely stores the codes. Here is one of them, but pretty sure there is another thread about this too and it is probably the reason Enterprise got rid of it before 30,00

I think it's equal parts luck and i got a good service advisor... and he knows i'm not going to take any guff...

That's unfortunate, mine has got to the point to randomly smoking out of the top of the hood, like it's overheating but then won't do it, took it in can't find anything.

yea, they have to see the code on their diag computer or it doesnt count unfortunately.

I left the code in the history for them, I know better. :) my ability to see the faults just helps me to know what's going on..

Edited by dr_jkl

That's funny because I was told that half a quart in 1000 was within spec. and there was nothing they would do. First they said normal and I was quick to correct them that it is not normal but that it might be within spec. They backed right down then, but nothing is even being investigated for a cause. Consider yourself lucky.

That's funny because I was told that half a quart in 1000 was within spec. and there was nothing they would do. First they said normal and I was quick to correct them that it is not normal but that it might be within spec. They backed right down then, but nothing is even being investigated for a cause. Consider yourself lucky.

I think it's equal parts luck and i got a good service advisor... and he knows i'm not going to take any guff...

I just heard from my service advisor; they have ordered an entire engine assembly and are replacing the entire engine as neither the dealership nor GM's technical assistance unit can determine what is causing the issues with my engine. They will crate up the old engine and send it back to GM where it will be disassembled piece by piece to determine the cause of the failure.

They're also doing my AC warranty work, and should have the car ready for me by Monday, which is delightful, since I am ready to get out of the land yacht that is the Sonic... after having my Spark since March, suddenly having a car with a big nose and an ass is... nope. Too big. :D

Edited by dr_jkl

You sure are lucky. My car is now only burning a quart every 2000+ miles which is twice as good as last time. The service people won't even call the regional Chevy engineer to see if they can investigate deeper or take the chance of not getting paid and investigate so they can tell the regional person that there is a bigger problem. I always expect the absolutely minimum from places around here, it's the only way to not be disappointed.

I've dealt with some of the higher level support, all those people want to do is close the case. Basically if the dealerships aren't motivated enough to say it is a real problem, nothing happens. I've grown to expect the minimal amount from the local dealers and that's why this will be my last Chevy. My gremlin filled garbage box has got to go, just waiting at this point.

It was running great today, had all its old power back, but I bet tomorrow it falls flat when I really need it, just like last time I really needed some power. You know it is bad when you are going about 50mph, shift into 3rd to pass, floor the throttle, and the car slows down. This was on level roads with a tail wind.

For anyone interested, I got the car back today and wow. Night and day. The service writeup basically makes me think I was driving a three-cylinder car for a while...

Thank you to all who offered advice and encouragement and especially the lurkers from Chevrolet Customer Care. From onset of issue to new engine took just about two months; everyone at my local dealership was courteous, kind, and helpful. Hopefully my problems here are at an end and I can get on with enjoying my Spark. For those of you still fighting the good fight I say don't give up, stand firm!

FkaBUIw.jpg

For anyone interested, I got the car back today and wow. Night and day. The service writeup basically makes me think I was driving a three-cylinder car for a while...

Thank you to all who offered advice and encouragement and especially the lurkers from Chevrolet Customer Care. From onset of issue to new engine took just about two months; everyone at my local dealership was courteous, kind, and helpful. Hopefully my problems here are at an end and I can get on with enjoying my Spark. For those of you still fighting the good fight I say don't give up, stand firm!

FkaBUIw.jpg

Hey there,

We are very pleased to hear that this process went smoothly for you, and you are back to enjoying your Spark once again. Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions or concerns in the future!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

Wish the rest of us had such an easy time, since I'm getting nowhere mine is going to get traded. And it won't be another Chevy. Yes it may still be under warranty, but warranty is only as good as the servicing dealers around you. In short my warranty is pretty much useless.

I would do a compression and leak down test, but even if I find a problem, no one from Chevy will believe it so it's time wasted. Not even going to pull the plugs for that reason, the dealer should have done that first thing.

Greg,

Have you talked to the customer care reps that lurk here? I find it hard to believe that they would sit by and do nothing if your local dealership(s) were being uncooperative. This is not how customer service works.

I've talked to higher level people, our reps here are only allowed to do so much, then it gets elevated. And after getting elevated it's the luck of the draw where the higher level person I had only wanted to close the case and move on to closing the next, etc. The dealer hasn't called the regional engineer, or that regional engineer's numbers will look bad if he/she approves a teardown for nothing. The regional person has all the power, even if the dealer knows there is a problem, they may not be allowed to fix it. This happens for all makes and my brothers often fight with the regional Mercedes engineer to try and get things fixed at the dealer where they work. Overall it is a very sad outlook and you should consider yourself lucky that your car failed enough to be "out of specification".

Edited by Greg_E
  • 3 months later...

My car did this for the first time. I'm at 26k miles now and my oil has been consuming oil, but only a few ounces between changes. I feel like my car was stuck in 2nd. Luckily I thought about the possibility that stopping and restarting the car would help. It did help. I have had other issues and restarting the car has resolved them in the past. I will be contacting the dealer for service.

My car did this for the first time. I'm at 26k miles now and my oil has been consuming oil, but only a few ounces between changes. I feel like my car was stuck in 2nd. Luckily I thought about the possibility that stopping and restarting the car would help. It did help. I have had other issues and restarting the car has resolved them in the past. I will be contacting the dealer for service.

Hey Noel,

Let me know if you need any additional assistance with this. I know you were already in for the Emissions Recall, but I hope everything is going well after the repair was done. Looking forward to your response or any updates!

Patsy G

Chevrolet Customer Care

I am seeing the dealer Monday. Just worried because it seems to be using more oil than it used too. I have been checking the oil every day now and adding a few ounces as needed. I used to only need about 4 ounces over 5k miles. But now seems like every 1000 miles or so.

Second time in a week. For traction control light and cel light. This time before driving I immediately turned it off and restarted. All cleared. I have an appointment tomorrow. Hope they figure it out. This time the idle was rough. I've also been burning oil since the new pcv was installed. I thought that was supposed to fix issues. But for me it created done that didn't exist previously. My mpgs are done about 3 mpg too.

So got my car back from the dealer. They said it was the #4 spark plug. They replaced it and that's it. I asked why and was the problem fixed not just repairing the symptom. They said that unless the check engine light was coming on at the time of the pcv recall they couldn't change the spark plug. So hopefully it was already fouled before the recall and now all is fixed. Idk. They were supposed to check it at the time of the recall at least that's what they told me when I took it in for the recall. They said all was fine. Also I have been burning more oil since the recall. So if the problem still exists I'll know soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been experiencing an issue that I haven't seen in the "weird problems" yet. Leaving work on cold (sub 30-ish) nights my Spark will shudder BAD like it has a bad wheel hop or clutch chatter. It only happens when it is cold outside and will do it every time I try to get going from a dead stop. Is anyone else having this issue also?? Any help would be much appreciated. Is this power loss issues and oil consumption only in the autos? Or are the manuals affected also??