Oil change...computer or mileage

On 1/19/2020 at 6:07 PM, Mac said:

2017 Spark LS base. Oil change...cars % or mileage?

2019 Spark 2LT manual at 14000 miles. I am still old school, sort of. I change the oil and filter when the percentage gets to 50%. Then again at 0%. Since I still do my own maintenance work I use the MY Chevy App to document all my work.

I do not like to waste money on unnecessary procedures for car maintenance. In the long gone old days, manufacturing processes left some loose metal particles inside the engine and that is why it was advisable to perform a change of oil filter soon. 

Since the new Spark comes with high quality synthetic blend oil, I see no sense in throwing it away too soon.

If you are really worried about metal contamination in oil, may be just a change of filter would put your mind at ease. 

As for the computer counting oil life, it is NOT based on actual chemical analysis of oil. It is more based on mileage, starts & stops and perhaps time. It is probably a very conservative formula to protect manufacturer from repair costs if the car is used to pull heavy loads, or driven on steep hilly roads when engine is laboring and getting hot. Over the last 50 years of my driving cars, I have learned to take a simple look at the oil dipstick, and check if oil is clear or dark, if oil has a burned smell or not. If neither are  present, I keep driving with the oil because I understand that oil does not wear out it's lubricating qualities or heat carrying out properties, which are the two main functions the engine oil performs.

I rather throw the money down from the 2nd floor balcony of a crowded shopping center than waste on unnecessary oil changes. That at least will provide some entertainment value.

• 2 weeks later...

I only put on about 4K a year so I do yearly changes. I've noticed that even with many short trips and daily town driving the oil stays clean looking and stays at the full level on the dip stick. My trucks oil turned dark brown and was down about a quart in the same situation even when it was new. It may not make a lot of power but I believe this Spark engine is a well designed unit. If an engine burns the fuel efficiently (41mpg for me) it doesn't contaminate the oil with many impurities, simple as that.

For the price of car, the Spark is indeed a very good value. In 3 years of driving it, I changed the oil twice only because 2 oil changes were free with the purchase of a new Spark. I will obey the oil life computer until the 5 year power train warranty expires. After that, back to my 50 year long method of looking at the dip stick, if oil looks clear and has no burned smell, keep on driving and go out to a nice dinner instead of oil change.

• 2 months later...

The computer is definitely not an accurate analysis of the oil life. Using Mobile 1 Full synthetic 15,000 mi oil and filter, I have to reset the oil change % 3-4 times before I change it out.  Usually, the oil is still clear when I changed it at 10-12,000mi. intervals.  I'm sure the oil % is based off worst case / adverse conditions and oil used.  That's said, make sure to check your oil and dipstick regularly to ensure proper level and wear. 

• 1 year later...