Hi Everyone, I know nothing about nothing, but i cant take the terrible sound quality in my stock 2014 1lt. How hard is it, and is it worth it, to just change out the speakers? what size speakers would i need. should i replace all 4? is this something i can do myself relatively easy?

Thanks!

Edited by Thomas Taco Schulz

lost of posts about this. It is very very easy to change the speakers and because they're so small it's pretty inexpensive to do so also.

Front 4" speakers you'll need to pry the top covers off to access, be careful use a wide thin flat head screwdriver or anything else you can fit in the gap, the plastic is easily damaged or scratched. 2 philips head screws to remove and lift out the speakers (w/cups if you have the "premium sound" ) unclip from the connectors. easily plug new wires into connectors and then to new speakers. then just do everything back wards to put back.

Rear 4x6" even easier, 4 philips screws unscrew unclip put new wires and screw back in.

you can cut and strip the stock wires and put on new females connectors but its a pain. most new speakers you buy will come with a set of wires you can use.

I put Clairons the popular choice on here is kicker. clarions will run you about $55 total for front and back speakers. I got mine off sonicelectronics.com

in the meantime go to you sound settings turn the treble up to 10 and the mid and bass to 3 should sound much better while you're waiting for you speakers to come in the mail.

The speakers are small and regardless of what you buy or how much you pay youre not going to get much bass or low end from them. A lot of us have added sub-woofers in the back, again look through the threads some very cleaver ideas, cheapest and easiest would be to get a small powered sub that will fit back there most of them will. You will have to run power lines from the batter for this and tape your rear speaker cables for it, not the most difficult but will take a little time and know how, check youtube for how to videos if you want to do it yourself or have an audio shop install for you, the speakers are way easy though and not worth paying someone to do it.

I put 4" and 4x6 Pioneer's in mine right after I got it. i got them on sale so thats what I went with. They were much better but you still won't get any punch out of them. I then installed a Rockford Fosgate P300 12" sub in it that I got off of Craigslist. That gave it the punch it needed and then some lol. Sounds pretty awesome now.

Edited by Ray Dockrey

From my experience with a couple of these cars, the stock stereo unit isnt going to get you too much 'thudding bass' out of the 4 peoples. I managed a pretty decent sounding system running JBLs with +10 on the bass ( stiff cones ) but..compared to my friend who put an aftermarket system in, that can put the wattage out to the 4 speakers. He managed to make the STOCK spark speakers, kick a good deal of bass..for being stock, running bass/mids flat. Enough to feel the vibrations a little in the car.

Considering most of us, wish not to rip apart the car and mess with aftermarket OEM/headunit.. if your looking for well balanced sound, a sub of some-size is a must.. in my opinion. I have a 1LT as well, I dropped 4 new speakers in and a sub, thing sounds clear as day...and the sub balances everything out. I just went with a setup for "Enjoy music balanced out" as one option, and "get kicked out of a parking lot" as a 2nd. But I respect residential areas and turn things down :P I only 'boom' on the highways. xD

When it comes to things that need electricity I also enter the "know nothing about nothing" zone. I have fried my share of appliances and have had 'shocking' experiences trying to follow simple diagrams and instructions. Without a basic understanding of electrical stuff, the only reason I am alive to write this is that when in doubt about that stuff I now have someone with some knowledge do it (and then tell my wife I did it). Depending on your ability to follow instructions, your cash flow and if a tech type friend owes you one it may be better to involve a 3rd party since simple and easy for some may be trial and error frustration for others..

Hi Everyone, I know nothing about nothing, but i cant take the terrible sound quality in my stock 2014 1lt. How hard is it, and is it worth it, to just change out the speakers? what size speakers would i need. should i replace all 4? is this something i can do myself relatively easy?

Thanks!

Thanks Everyone. I had been reading the forums for a while, and was really just wondering if just updating the speakers would be worth it. My boss (read wife) would never approve of spending the money on a full system (sub and what not) but i think i can get new speakers.

Speakers alone will help a lot by itself but don't expect and bass to fill it in. My setup was just under $400 and the sub was most of that. I think you could find a cheaper powered sub for around $100-$150.

I put 4" and 4x6 Pioneer's in mine right after I got it. i got them on sale so thats what I went with. They were much better but you still won't get any punch out of them. I then installed a Rockford Fosgate P300 12" sub in it that I got off of Craigslist. That gave it the punch it needed and then some lol. Sounds pretty awesome now.

I have this same sub. bass is bananas that comes out of it especially in this tiny car. Where do you have you settings at? I feel I cant get a good range either hits highs, mids or lows (in the bass area) but not across the board, maybe I have the settings in the not the best places?

Thanks Everyone. I had been reading the forums for a while, and was really just wondering if just updating the speakers would be worth it. My boss (read wife) would never approve of spending the money on a full system (sub and what not) but i think i can get new speakers.

Some aftermarkets speakers will set you back $50-60 and worth every cent, she'll appreciate it in the end, or just don't tell her. ;D also check craigslist might find a deal I sold mine for $30 when I upgraded to 5 1/4" in the dash and 6.5" in the back

• 2 weeks later...