Katie took her Spark in for the A/C recall. In spite of the fact that the appointment was made 3 or 4 weeks in advance, the dealer didn't have the parts, so she's gotta go back this week to be finished. And after that, she's 'outta here' as the late Harry Kalas used to announce.

She has been having issues with an intermittent whine from the fuel pump area plus now she smells gas on occasion. Well, the service writer told her (get this) that it's NORMAL to be hearing noises when the fuel tank is low. I never have heard such a thing unless the pump is going bad. Also, after she got it home, the thing wouldn't start. Wouldn't do anything, acted like the battery was low, but all systems were normally charged. Finally after trying about 20 times, it started after a delay while the key was held in the 'Start' position. On top of this, the new My Link system that was put in when the first one crapped out is starting to act up.

So.......since new, this thing has had one rear wheel bearing replaced at 8000 miles, a new My Link system put in, the A/C system recalled (never got that cold to begin with), the issue with the fuel pump and now a non-start issue and another My Link issue. And it barely has 25K miles on it, a 2013.

It will be gone soon and she wants to go back to what she had before, a Hyundai Elantra. That's what she traded in on her Spark. I have been a fervent Chevy man my whole life, I drive a '12 Camaro ragtop and she figured she would give them a chance......so much for that.

It's a shame because she really liked the Spark a lot, but she does a lot of driving because of her job and really needs dependability.

I would also suggest driving the new 2015 Honda Fit. I had the pleasure of driving one over the weekend and I was REALLY impressed with it. They are in the 18k -19k range but seem well worth the money. If you do some research on reliability ratings of sub compact cars... nothing beats the Fit from model year 09 up until 13. The Honda V-Tech engines are bullet proof. And the space inside the small car is absolutely amazing!!

as a Chevy spark owner myself, I have to admit that comparing it even to my 2004 Ford Focus, it's a notch down. My 04' Ford Focus still drives smoother, has better steering, hugs the road better, and is just all around more solid. I generally see Chevy vehicles as quite sturdy and reliable and have enjoyed driving the Chevy Express (amazing van!) in the past also. But it does seem that the Spark has had a lot of quality issues.

Now, I didn't buy mine new. Mine is a used car, but only has 29k on it. It's only temporary too since I'm working overseas and won't be here forever. When I go back home, I'll definitely buy a Ford (either Fiesta or Focus) again, but I've also always heard great things about Toyota, Honda, and these days Hyundai and Kia are surpassing everyone in quality for still remaining very economical brand.

I loved my 2002 elantra. But I also love my spark. The surprising thing is that avg mpgs for the elantra and spark are not much different and he Electra has a lot more room. If have bought a Hyundai again if they had some thing in a comparable size and styling to the spark, soul. Or cube. Ultimately I went with the spark bc of the infotainment center and the small size. It's mostly just me and occasionally a few people from work going to lunch. My spark is capable of getting 50+ mpg during a trip with ideal conditions and speeds. But I avg around 40 mpg overall everyday driving city and interstate. So I really can't complain. I've had some minor issues the a\c being one. It's been fixed now, but after a month or so now it doesn't seem as cold all ready. But it's also hotter now. The a\c is always gonna be lack luster it's meet to be fuel efficient not luxury.

Believe it or not, the Spark with a manual transmission is the most fun small car I have found. It is less appliance like than the Hyundai/Kia/Fiesta/Sonic/Fit. I discovered that you can get a base model Fit with manual transmission (which still has cruise control) for $16000 something, including the destination charge. I doubt they actually sell any of them like that, Honda likes to double the prices of their cars with options. I want so much to like the Spark, they seem to be by far the most fun AND practical car for the money. I also find it hard to believe that cars can be so unreliable in 2014. People complained about '60s and '70s cars, and how unreliable they were. It seems things have not gotten any better, only now when something breaks down it costs a LOT more to get it fixed. The old small block Chevys were solid as a rock. It looks like the reason I want a new car (reliability) may not actually exist.

Not Spark related, but I have discovered that for what it costs to buy a new base model Spark from a dealer, including all the taxes and fees, I can buy a late model Mazda Miata from a private seller. I don't really need a back seat, but for someone in my condition, getting into and out of the Miata's LOW seats is a major pain. GM, PLEASE FIX THE SPARK. I currently drive a 2001 Chevy, and it has been unbelievably reliable. Apparently much more so than a brand new Spark. It is quickly closing in on 200,000 miles

EDIT: the Elantra is out of my price range, the Accent is the best I could do as far as Hyundai. Fiesta also costs too much, it competes with the Sonic, not the Spark. Only thing out there competitive with the Spark price wise is the base Nissan Versa, and unlike the Spark, no aftermarket cruise control is available for the manual. So basically it is the Spark or a used car.

Edited by Big-Bob

Well, the deal is done. We traded her Spark on a '12 Elantra Limited that is loaded. It was a nice try, buying the Spark, however it is evident that GM and Chevy specifically just doesn't build them like they used to.

Plus we got the balance of the 10 year/100K mile warranty on the Elantra.....she only has 31K miles and is in fantastic shape.....

At least my lady tried to go GM, it just wasn't worth the headaches.

Farewell folks, good luck with your Sparks.