High rev rattle under acceleration

I was wondering if anyone else has a sheet metal like rattle in the engine compartment when accelerating around the 3k rpm mark. My car will not make noise in neutral at any rpm. If so, has anyone found what the cause is or had it fixed. My Spark is a standard LS 2014 with 3.2k miles.

I was wondering if anyone else has a sheet metal like rattle in the engine compartment when accelerating around the 3k rpm mark. My car will not make noise in neutral at any rpm. If so, has anyone found what the cause is or had it fixed. My Spark is a standard LS 2014 with 3.2k miles.

Yep... I have the same noise. One other member also has it on here. I've taken it in a total of 4 times for the issue with two different dealers. The first time I brought it in they replaced the catalytic converter stating that was faulty. Got it back and was still making the noise. They then told me that it's normal engine noise... so I bring it into a different dealer. They come back and tell me it's a loose flex joint so they added an additional exhaust clamp. It was a lot quieter when I got it back and I had to rev to 4500 rpms to make the noise noticeable. Over the next week following the fix, the noise started to come back at lower and lower rpms. So I take it back in. They then tell me it's normal engine noise. Funny how both times the dealers took the car in and came up with a fix. Second time they state it's normal.... If it's normal then why did you through parts, time and labor at it in the first place.

I do notice mine is loudest on warmer drier days for some reason. Or after the car has been driven for awhile. I would take it in and see what they say. I am still trying to find a permanent fix because this does not sound like normal engine noise.. Keep us informed as what the dealer says. I would like to know.

I have took mine to the dealer for the A/C recall and the noise on the same day, but it was raining. It took 3 hours for the A/C to be fixed and they couldn't reproduce the sound I was hearing, I think because it was raining when the guy took it for a drive and had the windows up.

Today I jacked my car up, put it on jack stands and looked around. I found some fuel lines that had some play in them and took the play out of them, but that wasn't it. The heat shield that covers the exhaust pipe in the middle of the vehicle was secured to the under carriage with screws instead of being welded and was quite stout. I swear the fluttering rattle sounds like it is coming from inside the engine compartment instead of from under the passenger area. I might just end up sticking my cell phone under the hood while on voice record in a few areas just to narrow it down.

Did your dealer specifically say where he put the exhaust clamps? This rattle is driving me absolutely NUTS.

Edited by manualsparkls

I have took mine to the dealer for the A/C recall and the noise on the same day, but it was raining. It took 3 hours for the A/C to be fixed and they couldn't reproduce the sound I was hearing, I think because it was raining when the guy took it for a drive and had the windows up.

Today I jacked my car up, put it on jack stands and looked around. I found some fuel lines that had some play in them and took the play out of them, but that wasn't it. The heat shield that covers the exhaust pipe in the middle of the vehicle was secured to the under carriage with screws instead of being welded and was quite stout. I swear the fluttering rattle sounds like it is coming from inside the engine compartment instead of from under the passenger area. I might just end up sticking my cell phone under the hood while on voice record in a few areas just to narrow it down.

Did your dealer specifically say where he put the exhaust clamps? This rattle is driving me absolutely NUTS.

I ended up taking a technician on a test drive. Both times i did it, they repalced parts or added parts. When i took it back in when the noise wasnt resolved i again took a technician for a ride. They didnt even want to take it back in to look at stating it is normal engine noise. The dealer specifically told me and it is also documented on the service work order that they added an extra exhaust clamp to reduce flew in a flew joint in the exhaust.

I to do belive that the noise originated under the hood somewhere. I will ahve to hook my GoPro up under there and see if i can capture the noise. Maybe even to the exterior of the vehicle as well. I hear it best when in a parking garage or on quiet residential streeets. The noise bounces off of passing objects. Heard most on the passenger side of the vehicle.

I suspect it's timing chain noise, most small engines have timing belts becouse of this. Timing chain noise is often more noticeable on smaller engines. People often complain how much it costs to change a timing belt, or neglect it and later need a new engine becouse the belt snapped. So GM put a timing chain on instead. Mine also makes a little raspy sound around 3500rpm when accelerating, but it's not loud and goes away. I think its a normal sound. Try driving another Spark and see if it also does the same sound.

Edited by austex04

I suspect it's timing chain noise, most small engines have timing belts becouse of this. Timing chain noise is often more noticeable on smaller engines. People often complain how much it costs to change a timing belt, or neglect it and later need a new engine becouse the belt snapped. So GM put a timing chain on instead. Mine also makes a little raspy sound around 3500rpm when accelerating, but it's not loud and goes away. I think its a normal sound. Try driving another Spark and see if it also does the same sound.

That would be nice if it were normal, but I just don't buy that. If it were the timing chain (and believe me, I am glad that it does have a timing chain) wouldn't it make the same noise in neutral at 3k rpm?

It should make a similar noise in neutral if it were the chain, and as far as I have ever experienced a roller chain makes more of a "whizzing" noise as it rides across the tensioner (too tight) or worse if too loose and hitting a cover. I get this on my motorcycle if I adjust the primary drive chain incorrectly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...