like starting threads.. anyone down to turbo one of these?

Oil supply is easy. Get a sandwich plate for the oil filter housing with a NPT port. Run a 4AN line from there to the turbo. The drain....that could be tricky. I had to drill a hole in the Miata's oil pan, tapped the pan and screwed in 45 degree fitting. I used JB weld around the fitting without issue since the drain isn't under pressure. The main thing is to make sure the pan is tapped high enough to allow drainage.

The stock hood is cheap, just buy a replacement and chop the hell out of it. That said lift the hood and take a look... Can you buy a 12x24 inch multi row intercooler? I think that is the amount of front end closed off with plastic next to the radiator. Maybe duct the front up through a top mount and exit through the hood (again the empty plastic space on the side for intake)?

All that said, I'm not going to turbo my car, too many other things to spend money on and that would include buying a car I could SCCA Solo race since there is a pretty big support for this locally. $3000 for a good turbo system or $3000 towards a good low beater like an old DelSol or early Miata.

To get the ECU done properly may take more, we have no idea what the stock ECU is going to do if we start fooling with it by adding external fuel computers to help the boost. I think by the time you get a working system it will be $3000 in materials with a few cast offs that didn't fit or work the way we need them to work. Until someone does this work and lists a functional kit, it's going to be more expensive.

Top mount intercooler-----------------$75
T03 (or likewiseturbo)------------------$200
piping ------------------------------------$100
Tial BOV----------------------------------$245
Tial External Wastegate---------------$250
Bosch 24# (so cute) Injectors--------$200

^^^ Thats 1070 and I didn't really skimp on parts... thats Tial and Bosch and a VW turbo.

Cheap parts would be

Top mount intercooler-----------------$75
EBAY T03 (or likewiseturbo)---------$140
piping-------------------------------------$40
Turbosmart BOV-----------------------$180
Turbonetics Evo WG------------------$225
REMAN pon,olds,GM injectors------$160

$820 ^^ for CHEAP shit and granted I'm not counting for random welding that WILL be needed AND for oil pumbing. I'm alos not counting in my discount either... but yes I EASILY think for under $1500 one of these could be boosted. I would LIKE to just throw a kit on one and set psi to 4psi on that little turbo and monitor AF/Rs and then pump it up to 7 and then go till either detonation is sensed or MAF/MAP gets outrun.. then bump it back 2 psi from there and boom. golden =)

I am pretty sure the stock ECU can handle 4psi. Most ECU's can accommodate it. It is like this. What happens when when your O2 sensor fails? The ECU tends to increase the fuel mixture to compensate. Same thing here. It will sense a lean burn and increase the fuel mixture. That is what an O2 Clamp does. That is old school turbo tech there. The key is not going over what the stock ECU can handle. The only way to know is a WBO2 or just a few dyno runs and increase the psi until you see it running lean. Then back it off.

well I could do it without a dyno and like I said once before the car has to be able to make up for weird air mixtures such as high altitude, hot altitude (very thin hot air) and then COLD, Florida weather (Very dense Cold air) so.. it will need to make up for these huge ranges of air mixtures.. if I throw more air into it it will make up for it im sure.

Some of them most certainly are, maybe the ones I've seen are way over the top.

The other alternative would be about $2000+ for a completely new computer to handle everything. Getting it to talk to the BCM would be the only issue (Body Control Module).

I wonder....A Sonic/Cruze 1.4L T engine is about a grand. I wonder what would need to be done for an engine swap? Bellhousing, ECU, Mounts? There is a ton of room in the Spark's engine compartment to fit a 1.4 vs the current 1.2. If a Vette engine can be stuffed in a Miata, anything is possible.

I wonder. Is this on a stock or remapped ECU? Bigger injectors(Could it be that the ECU can handle larger injectors?), colder range plugs. TD025 turbo? By the above it seems that 4psi is the magic number, and 100hp at the wheels is a good increase over the 70 or so that we have now.

• 2 years later...