Hey all, purchased a GM factory fog light kit, but it did not come with a "authorization code" paper. Contacted the distributor who I purchased it from and they are un-aware of any such code.

Has anyone else experienced this, is the code necessary?

Any help, thanks.

There absolutely is a code and the dealer can't program it without that code! If the seller can't give you the paper that should have been in the kit, then it needs to go back for a refund! There are no two ways about it, the kit is worthless without the code!

Where did you buy it?

There absolutely is a code and the dealer can't program it without that code! If the seller can't give you the paper that should have been in the kit, then it needs to go back for a refund! There are no two ways about it, the kit is worthless without the code!

Where did you buy it?

WOW, I had no idea. So I guess I will look for it when I order mine.

The process as I understand it is the Chevy programming tool connects to Chevy, you type in the number and after Chevy decides it is good it hashes that number with your vin and loads it into the BCM to activate it. Shopchevyparts has a good price but people are complaining that no instructions come with it.

If the kit came in a single box, it should have had the Chevy part number on the single box. Then inside the box would have been several plastic bags and boxes for the individual pieces. Inside that overall box should have been a piece of paper with the authentication code (about 20 digits or so) and without that code you are screwed unless someone at the dealer knows more than I do.

I'll check my camera to see if I took a photo of the overall box, but I do remember it having the chevy part number for the kit on it. Either way you are going to have to deal with ShopChevyParts to get that number, they buy them from Chevy so it's their responsibility to get you what you need. If not then I guess we will need to stop buying from them and spread the word far and wide not to buy any electronics from them. Kind of surprised I didn't need to have the dealer install my floor mats because the car needed an authentication number from the mats before it would accept them. I think it is a screw job from Chevy that these light kits need to be programmed in the first place!

I was wodering if it's just a number, could someone post their number on here,that they've already used? If it's just to verify a wiring harness. I tried contacting shopchevyparts, they said I "should have" received everything I needed to get the lights to work. I'll figure something out....

What would happen if you connected the hot side to a power source, the negative side to a ground, and put a toggle in between? I think it would light, I don't get why the computer has to be programmed, may be my ignorance, but I truly don't get it. :fool:

The switch is a momentary switch, so you need logic to keep them on. Then the wires from the switch are the thinnest wires I've ever seen in a car, have to be around 30 gauge. So what happens is the switch tells the BCM to turn the lights on, then the BCM tells the relay box to turn the lights on. This saves a lot of wiring because the relay box only needs a couple of wires to do all the work with the relays. The only way to make things work without the computer would be to splice in your own harness and relay like the aftermarket lights use. It would work, but if you are going to do this, you would be better off with after market fogs since the stock fogs are not great. The numbers are unique and can't be used a second time (what I was told) and for some reason I didn't copy mine.

If they are really getting it from Chevy, then there shouldn't be any issues because it should be in the box. Might be worth contacting them before purchase and asking them to open the box and make sure the paper with the authentication code is in the box with the parts. If not then it is not a deal and you might as well buy the Hella FF40 fog and screw them into the black plastic filler thing.

• 2 weeks later...

And they still didn't put my review up with a link to the instruction thread since that is something that doesn't come in the box. I think the original poster should leave a review warning people to check for the authentication paper before installing.