Why must take down pan to replace CVT fluid.

Hello,.

I am new here to Chevy Spark. I have replaced other vehicle's CVT fluid. But I found most people take down pan to replace CVT fluid for Chevy spark. and also replace filter inside.

I don't understand. It is easy to drain fluid from the opening plug and just refill it. In addition,  filter is not required to replace so frequently. As I know,  a lot of car don't replace CVT fluid filter in their whole life.

I do not understand why even change transmission fluid at all! Unlike the engine oil which is subject to high temperatures of combustion and carbon particles, transmission fluid is in a sealed environment and does not lose lubricating qualities at all no matter how old. As for the filter in transmission, again the only thing it is necessary is to catch metal particles from wear or loose metal particles from manufacturing process. Unless your car has been used to pull extra loads or mountainous driving, the filter should be good for 100k miles or more.

During my 60 years of driving cars, I changed the transmission fluid and filter only ONCE! And I never had any transmission repairs needed ever. OK, so I seldom stomp on the gas pedal, but I am always keeping up with traffic. The reason I changed the transmission fluid once was because the gear changes were jerky and I thought (wrongly) the fluid needed changed. It was loose bands and not the fluid. I love my CVT in the Spark since it has only 1 gear shift and is smooth as silk.

In summary, if it keeps your mind at ease, just drain some fluid from the drain plug, and add new fluid so you can sleep like a baby. Some added new fluid will boost the anti-corrosion qualities of the tranny fluid. Many of my cars were past 10 years old and I never had a tranny problem with them and I never changed the fluids. For record, I have bought only new cars since 1964 and all with automatic transmissions except my 1964 corvair which had a 3 speed manual.

Edited by Bobby MSME