Add android auto 2din and better speakers?

Hey guys I got the 2014 Chevy Spark which i believe is the LS (the cheap base model) and I'm really interested in adding android auto for navigation, music, and calls. I would like to install something like this: http://www.jbl.com/connected-car/CP100+LEGEND.html which is one of the most affordable android auto stereos I've found, and JBL is known for great quality. I was wondering once I get the stereo what else do I need? i know I will need a dash and wiring kit. Also I had a few feature specific questions:

1. If i add the android auto or any aftermarket stereo would I completely lose the ability to make calls over onstar when i lose cell service?

2. I'm assuming by getting a 2 din stereo that the controls underneath the stock stereo will be removed and replaced by the new stereo?

3. android auto requires a usb connection to connect to the phone, and the usb is in the rear. is there a easy way to wire it to the front, maybe even replacing the current aux port?

Once (and if) I am able to get android auto I want to get better speakers, especially since I think im starting to kill my current ones listening at volume levels 25-30 for 2.5 hours or more a day during my commute. I am starting to notice more and more distortion. I'm looking to put about $250 budget to replace all 4 speakers and an amp. Im looking for more quality over volume, but will be playing music fairly loud regularly. Whats the best system I can get with that budget?

Also I am interesting in getting a decent sub since I miss having alot of bass. I see people have used the spare tire area to put a sub in without losing space. Between what I know and my dad's help I can install the new stereo and replace all the speakers, but I do not have the skills nor my dad the time to build a custom box, just time for the installation. So is it possible to buy or pay someone to build a box for the spare tire area without spending a ton? if not what is the best way to add a sub without sacrificing space?

thanks for any help in advance!

Before I answer your questions, I would recommend adding a powered subwoofer before you go spending money on speakers and amps and spend time installing stuff, you will be surprised lf how much difference it will make, plus you can still use it with the radio upgrade later.

I have a infinity basslink, I also bought the 4 speakers and amp and all knick knacks for install, I returned everything and kept the subwoofer as I really have no need for more than that.

1- no clue if your onstar will stop working.

2-your stock radio is a double decker, just the face plate makes it not look like it. You will need a dash kit for the new radio which will replace the whole radio face plate, creating provisions for doubke or single din.

3-your radio should come with a usb extension,there are several ways to wire to the front, just look it up.

4-there are inexpensive compact amps that can even take your speaker level signals as input, and dont even need more than 15amps. Factory sized speakers are about $30-60for a pair.

5- For bass, I have an infinity basslink in the trunk, more than enough to fill the small car, not enough to rattle the neighbors, paid $165 + 20 for an amp wire kit. Simple to install and can fit in the spare tire compartment, I have it mounted to the side of the trunk as I prefer to carry a spare tire

qouted from another post:

you would be better off buying this kit at a minimum

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-3309B-LC-Single-Installation-2013-Up/dp/B00DLEY9VI

as it comes with the data module to integrate with the vehicles CAN system.

but that is the most basic data module, 1st it wont work with onstar if you have in (and plan on retaining it) and 2nd a radio that expensive (double din kenwood nav) it would need a few extra wires ran through out the car to maximize all its features.

this would be a better choice

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DUI5J6O/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00DLEY9VI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=11QB9DDZZ34WQFFJ8YVG

as this data module is more advanced and gets more information from the data bus system such as reverse wire (radio needs for back up camera) and parking brake (radio needs to unlock menu features)(not getting into P-brake bypass...) it also retains onstar and is pre wired for the ASWC steering wheel controls adapter (if you have them)

you will also need an antenna adapter that is not included with the kit

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-40-EU55-Antenna-Adapter-European/dp/B0007WW64Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1455694351&sr=1-1&keywords=40-Eu55

here is a better explanation of the kit differences

#1 the parts you choose (as shown above) dictate whether or not your OnStar remains functional

#2 you can see the parts in the links and video to see what exactly is replaced.

#3 if you have the OEM USB connector, you can usually find the right shaped adapter on Monoprice to get it to plug in, if you do not have the OEM USB port, then this is one of my favorite accessories to use.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-USB-DMA-Dash-Mount-Adaptor-Accessories/dp/B012PSPRR0

basically, you just drill a hole in any panel (that has enough depth behind it) then it sticks through and plugs the hole and can give you a very OEM look

as far as speakers recommendations, one of my favorite speakers right now that can be found for a great price are what we put into SpaceCowboy's car, Pioneer TS-D's, since pioneer never offered them in 4x6, we just used two pair of 4" with a set of 4x6 to 4" adapter plates

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-D1002R-2-Way-Speaker-Watts/dp/B00399HKIY

great quality of sound, and for how cheap they can be found, it going to be a hard speaker to beat at three times its price (for the same size)

another great amp option I like to recommend is the Alpine power pack, very small, super efficient cool running amp, works great with OEM systems, and even better with aftermarket systems. best part is that it doesn't need expensive amp kits and can be wired in and fit all behind the radio and dash.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-445U-4-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003VVYL46/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1458458998&sr=1-1&keywords=alpine+power+pack

plenty of power (really would never recommend any more with such a small speaker that is offered in this car. plus it has adjustable crossovers so you can pull the deep bass out of the signal so it plays nice and clear at higher levels and having a sub will do much better job at those low anyways

only amp I would consider over that would be a 5ch amp, that way you can wire in just one amp and drive an entire system off of that

also there have and are many different options for subs, plenty that will fit where a spare tire should be.

everything from a kicker hide away self contained 8", a loaded 12" CompRT box, all the way to paying somebody to build you this...

http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/3749-8-kicker-l7-with-kicker-ix5002-in-spare-tire-cavity/

all gonna come down to how much you want to spend and how loud you want it to go.,

Edited by 1LoudLS

Completely agree with the options 1loudls listed out, i was going to install the alpine power pack and the pioneer speakers but ended up returning it as im pretty happy with the sound after i hooked up the sub.

@1loudLs, have you seen any of those chinese android head units running or have you installed any? What is your opinion on them as a replacement for the mylink unit?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YE7SN9K/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_UMO7wbT93TB8N

I'm curious because that unit actually has some good reviews and it has support for 3g data and would pretty much do anything i would want out of it.

honestly, I've had a lot of people bring me different no name Chinese head units, while they may be feature rich and do more than most. almost everyone of them has had serious quality issues, the buttons always feel cheap as hell and are easy to break, the screens look terrible and have very poor responsiveness, the processors are always terrible and laggy as heck, and worse yet, the quality of the amp, DA converter, and sound processioning is terrible, sure they will play loud, but anywhere above 20% there is just a ton of distortion. I have yet to see any Chinese units that I would feel comfortable recommending to anybody.

guess I forgot to mention this in the earlier post... as far as the JBL goes. I'm sure it will be a good sounding system, but I've been trying to read as much as I could before they started getting out there, the biggest thing to keep in mind is that they will be for fairly simple systems, they dont have an AUX in or CD drive, no XM support, and they do not have 3 sets of preouts so it is not well suited for the OP original plans since he is thinking about an amp for speakers and an amp for subs...

I have put in a few of poineer's 4100 NEX and it is a pretty solid unit, with great sound quality, and a rich capacities screen (as opposed to the older resistive screens that are not as responsive) and while some times can have a tiny bit of lad, most of the time its buttery smooth. kenwoods version is also top notch

• 3 weeks later...