Radio Stays On When Exiting Vehicle

Hey, guys and gals. Anyone had the following problem? This just started happening to me today.

Normally when I put the car in park, turn it off and remove the key, the radio stays on until I open the driver's side door handle to exit. As soon as the door opens, the radio shuts off. Now, suddenly the radio has been staying on when I open the door. I even shut the door and lock it, and the radio keeps playing. Wiring issue? If anyone has had experience with this or knows how to fix it, please let me know.

Thank you.

I don't know too much about how the Spark handles this, but I had a similar problem with a Caddy. From what I learned, I would guess you have 1 of 3 possible things going on. 1) The switch that sends the "Door Open/Closed" signal to the BCM is bad. 2) The BCM is not getting the signal from the switch due to a wiring issue. Or 3) there is a module issue with either the BCM or RAP modules. Rap being the retained access power, which keeps everything alive for ten minutes. You can try a reset, by disconnecting your battery cables for a couple of hours. If your bumper to bumper is still in force, I would take it to the dealership, these electrical glitches can get real crazy. Keep us informed.

Does yours have the Mylink radio? If it does then it seems to be a common issue with the Chevy Sonic and from what I have read on their forums its an issue with the Mylink itself. You can try unhooking the battery and letting it sit for a few minutes then hook it back up and see if that resets it. If not then its a trip to the dealer.

• 6 years later...

Just today at 33 k milesĀ  I found my Spark radio on ,and I hadn't driven it in 3 days.

Made sure it was off ,and upon returning 10 minutes later , on again! ..

Radio off ,but then the alarm system started honking for no reason!

Hey Chevrolet!

Time for a recall ?

Once the electrical system has a mind of it's own..time to look into this issue!