New Texas Spark

Just got a 2013 Spark 1LT auto in Salsa, leatherette interior, silver accents. After I bought it I left the dealership in a rental so that they could tint my windows, put new tires on and fix some paint issues I noticed. Just picked it up today and thought I'd give an update.

Pros:

• I HAVE A SPARE TIRE SUKKAS.
  • No high speed wobble
  • Surprising legroom

Cons:

• The dealership took a week to get my car done and when I went to pick it up an hour and a half away they hadn't even fixed the paint. However, they DID offer many excuses, first the paint guy only comes on friday. It had been there on a friday, I'd already paid for it so it shouldve been serviced. It wasn't. Second, it rained so they couldn't paint it. I understand humidity temperature and barometric pressure matter when painting but it seems odd that it couldnt be done on another day or, held another week, though to be fair I drove the loaner off the lot with 5 miles on it and returned it with over 1000. I drive a lot. I get wanting the little loaner back.
  • Along with my paint issues, the tint isn't cut right on the fore-windows I get that they're small but there are significant gaps, also they didnt tint it as dark as requested, the fronts look hardly touched while the backs are limo'd. I digress all of this seems like issues with the dealer and not so much the car, maybe I can get the chevy rep to notice me lol.

Plans:

• I want to plastidip the wheels and spoiler, I think it looks super neat.
  • I'm wanting to mess with the airbox because I think this thing need more power, then again I have a bad need for speed and it would make it easier to get in trouble so thats a debate.
  • I'm considering a sub, however space of course is an issue not to mention wiring it.
  • Definitely getting some stickers for the back glass, a unicorn and autobots logo to be specific.
  • Plan on doing underglow, havent decided on a colour, also plan on changing the interior accent lights to red if I can.

Questions:

• Does anyone know where to find the jack? I havent been able to locate one in the car but I've had it less than a day and havent been thorough.
  • Has anyone had an issue with a persistent pinging (like the e brake alarm) going on when no status lights are on the cluster? I had this issue but it was solved by turning it off and back on again (as an IT that was my first idea, amazing how many things that works for).
  • Has anyone done underglow, if so can you upload some pics?

Final notes: I dig the car, it seems pretty fantastic and I've only seen one other in my town (Lufkin, TX) and it was driven by a mother of a young child so I'll have no competition out stylin' her. I apologise for the lack of photos, I actually haven't seen the car when the sun's up yet lol, but I will add a few phen I can. Thank you all for reading, I look forward to chatting with you all over the years to come. Viva la Spark. :victory:

William Brown says: "I'm wanting to mess with the airbox because I think this thing need more power, then again I have a bad need for speed and it would make it easier to get in trouble so thats a debate."

°As Schaltz stated, "Messing with the intake won't give you more power." Entirely true and other than some very major mechanical mods, you will not increase HP or torque or speed. However,....I find the Spark has no problem cruising at 85-95mph. Whether you have 85HP or 300HP, the only difference is how fast you get to your desired cruising speed. Since the Spark's powertrain relies heavily on sensors, messing with the intake, oil, fuel system, exhaust, etc will not give you any more power, just maybe a different sound that gives the illusion of more power. If I have "the need for speed", the only solution open to me is to park the Spark and drive my stock +300hp-'06 Impala.

If I have "the need for speed", the only solution open to me is to park the Spark and drive my stock +300hp-'06 Impala.

If you wanna make this a pissing contest we can, I get to drive the John Dearmore TopFuel car on occasion, it has 300 hp, plus a couple more 0's on the end. I realize that the spark will never be that but regardless it'd be nice to be able to pass a semi on 2 lane

I say the reason the dealer tinted the windows the way they were is in the tint laws in your area. Since they are a licensed auto dealer they are probably required to follow the law or risk losing their license or at least get an fine.

If you had wanted it darker you should have taken it yourself to an independant tint shop.

If you wanna make this a pissing contest we can, I get to drive the John Dearmore TopFuel car on occasion, it has 300 hp, plus a couple more 0's on the end. I realize that the spark will never be that but regardless it'd be nice to be able to pass a semi on 2 lane

Wow!.. Dearmore is a legend on the 'old school' drag circuit. I believe he is a big fan of the 426Hemi conversions and has done some nice E/T's in T/F with his 2,800HP front engine rail units. Classics. Hard to keep those straight on 1/4. I too would piss my pants driving one of his machines!

I have no problems passing cars on a two lane with the Spark... if I time it right..A semi, well...I'd wait for a downhill with a long stretch of clear road ahead. Yup.

I say the reason the dealer tinted the windows the way they were is in the tint laws in your area.

Maybe so but the gaps could've been better

Wow!.. Dearmore is a legend on the 'old school' drag circuit.

thats my grandpa, living legend, hes actually getting over a nasty case of pneumonia and we're gonna be doing christmas at his house, but moot point, if you'd like to chat with him sometime I could setup a skype call or you can email him at john@dreracing.com either way, he's got an ego and he'd love for you to stroke it I'm sure :)

Had a couple of trips to the dealership over the past few days,

• Day 1 was because the paint on the accent piece above my glovebox chipped up, I took it to the dealer at 7am and was still there at 1pm when they told me they'd have to order the part. Long wait, no fix,
  • Day 2 I was there because the check engine light was on and I noticed liquid under the car after I'd been running the heater, so I figured it wasn't condensation off the A/C the tech showed me the code was mass air flow, which was ironic because I havent even considered the cold air intake. Cleared the code and I'm on my way, still wet on the ground :/

Maybe so but the gaps could've been better

thats my grandpa, living legend, hes actually getting over a nasty case of pneumonia and we're gonna be doing christmas at his house, but moot point, if you'd like to chat with him sometime I could setup a skype call or you can email him at john@dreracing.com either way, he's got an ego and he'd love for you to stroke it I'm sure :)

That's very interesting about your grandpa William! Back in the 70's I partnered ($$+) with a friend who owned a T/F 'Funny Car' and although I spent the races confined to the mechanical trailer, I did have occasion to drive the 3Khp modified Hemi & the -500cu crate motor we used as a bkup. No 10K hp cars in those days. We were paid to attend events but still the whole venture cost us a lot of money. The #1 engine used in those days were the 426 hemi's modified and with massive blowers. I'm actually in the process of restoring a '69 Hemi Roadrunner..complete with the original bench seats. Only engine mod is a 1,000 cfm Holly carb.

•I may email your grandpa as we may have some old (& exaggerated) stories to share from the 'old school' drag circuit's....

Your 'liquid on the ground' issue should be checked as to what is on the ground...coolant or water then take it from there as you may have a heater core leak if this occurs only when the heater is on.