Powerbass BTA-8 powered sub install help

Hi! I'm Chrissi and I have a 2014 Spark LT-1 in pink (Luscious Kiss, oddly, but it's the same as Techno Pink).

I purchased the Powerbass BTA-8 powered subwoofer, a high/low line converter, and a sub install kit. I've read every thread on this forum that I could find and I feel almost confident to do the install myself, now. I'm a girl, but I do well with this kind of thing when I have access to the proper information.

However, before I begin, I just want to clarify a few things. Perhaps some of you can help me!!

1.) Red power wire & firewall: I have the automatic. I read Bluer's method of the clutch hole, but I'm thinking I don't want to make any holes if possible. If I use the existing factory wiring, do I just unwrap the electrical tape, feed the wire, and rewrap the tape?

2.) Wiring the sub speaker wire: If I tap into the rear speakers, how do I do this without cutting the factory wire? Is there a way to add the sub speaker wire into the existing connector? I think I need to study the connectors a bit. Or, is there something I can buy to connect the new speaker wire into the existing connections?

3.) is there and open high input bay in the back of the head unit (mylink) to connect the high input wire (on the other side of the high/low converter)?

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

1. Existing holes can be used, but don't expect it to be a walk in the park. All the existing wires pass through tight, thick rubber grommets.

2. The sub has high level inputs, so I would just bypass the high/low converter and use the sub high level inputs. I did splice into both rear speakers for my high level inputs, how you do it is up to you.

3. The OEM head unit is not set up for a subwoofer.

This is my guide: http://chevysparkforum.com/topic/2111-amp-stays-on-after-tapping-into-many-different-fuses/#entry15368 it's on the first page, about halfway down. Lots of pictures.

Edited by manualsparkls

The nice thing about running the power thru the clutch plate on the automatic is, you can remove the plate with the 2 nuts. Then drill a small hole to fit the power wire and grommet. That's it, very simple, better than unwrapping and squeezing it thru the factory harness. As for high signal just use the Metra speaker harness to split the signal at the rear speakers. Just pig tail off of it. Very straight forward, the rest is just running wires.

Here is the correct harness.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-9301-Connector-Mitsubishi-Vehicles/dp/B0002BEUZS

You could use the Metra 72-9300 if you want like I did. All you have to do is flip the wires in the plug. They are the same plug just positive and negative are flip flopped. I hope you understand. The best way is to order the one I posted and don't worry.

When that arrives you have to cut the wires off in the middle. Then you strip back those wires and add your high level wires to that split/pigtail. So you put left high input on left and the same goes for right to right.

If you want you don't even need the harness. You can use female blade connectors.

One thing I thought about. Are you replacing the rear speakers too? I hope so because if you are not then the harness will not allow you to tap the wires and keep the stock. If you keep the stock speakers the only way would splice the factory harness. IMO I would upgrade the speakers too as it make a big improvement.

Here is a photo of my right rear speaker with harness. You can see the factory harness with the tape on it. Then you have the Metra harness plugged into that. You can see the black and white wires come out. From there is where I cut the Metra harness. The 2 grey wires go to the subwoofer high level input and the white and black go to the speaker. Simple.

FEFF1360-D4BC-4FE7-AE26-ABFE3F6B97B6.jpg

You can buy this one as it's cheaper like I did. But you have to swap the wires in the connector. It's easy to do with a paper lip. You undo the clip in the plug and pull out the wire on both. Then just insert the wire back into the correct side, they just clip back. If you have some experience with taking harness plugs apart this is very simple. The only plugs you take apart and reassemble is the Metra harness, NOT the factory.

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-9300-Speaker-Connector-Vehicles/dp/B0002BETHC/ref=pd_cp_e_1

We'll, it's done. Thank you so much for your help. We went through the metal clutch plate as you suggested, Bluer.

As for the speakers, I wasn't changing them at this time. I'll get to it later, but for now, I just wanted to add some bass.

I bought the Powerbass BTA-8 (amplified sub) brand new from a dude on craigslist for $100. I bought the Metra installation kit for $40 and the Metra high/low converter for $18, both from Advance Discount Auto Parts. My boyfriend took over at this point. We bought 2 packs (various sizes) butt connectors, the tap-in squeeze connectors, and 2 packs of insulated crimp-on quick disconnects all from Radio Shack for $2.50 per package. The total at Radio Shack was about $13. So, this setup was $173.

For the sub, we didn't use a harness. We had just arrived at Best Buy when I saw your reply, Bluer, about the speaker and harness. We looke around and that's when we decided to go to Radio Shack. While we were both sitting on the floor, sorting through the vast selection of baggies of electrical things, the idea came to my boyfriend.

He selected the male/female crimp-on quick disconnects. This was his solution to not cutting into the factory wiring. He made extensions using the thingies and speaker wire so that the female of the existing harness would join back to the speaker with speaker wire spliced into the male which ran around to the high/low converter. This way, the extension pieces are easily hidden in the side panels.

This worked perfectly and was a total of $5 for both packs of connectors. I'll take pictures the daylight and show you exactly. Based on all I've read, the awesome advise and walk-throughs on this forum, and my boyfriend's easy and cheap solution, I think this is the best option.

The process took longer than I expected but it was also a lot easier than I anticipated. We took our time, hid every wire with perfection, and he was teaching me in the process.

The end result is a professional looking installation that sounds awesome in my adorable, tiny, pink Spark.

The only downside is that the unit I bought takes up space in the trunk, unlike Bluer's wonderful hideaway solution. However, I was doing this for the very first time and on a very limited budget. I'm extremely pleased with my results so far. Ultimately, I'll change out the stock speakers for the kickers, but I can take my time.

Maybe for my next project, I'll find some pink leds for the interior or under the car.

Thanks again for all the help. If you see a pink Spark driving in South Florida, wave. It may be me!!!

That's great news. It's nice to hear when something cones together. When I originally going to do mine I was going with a bazooka tube. But then started to research and ended up with the Kicker hideaway. I bought it down at the Best Buy by Sawgrass Mills. It was more than I wanted to spend but I wanted all my trunk space. Then bought the speakers from Best Buy online on sale.

Might see ya around.

The Kicker Hideaway looks great. I would like the trunk space, but I'm happy with my bass for now. The 8" is definitely more than adequate in that tiny car!!

I know what your tricked out Spark looks like. I'll definitely honk if I pass you!! I work in Boca, so ya never know!!!

I'm going to have to do some exterior work to make my pinky stand out!! I've seen 1 in Boca (with 2 men in their 50s in it), 1 in Lake Worth (the first, which inspired me to get mine), and 1 in Palm Beach Gardens but those people live in Miami (yes, I talked to them!) I saw a blue one today in PBG and waved to the dude driving. ;)

The Kicker Hideaway looks great. I would like the trunk space, but I'm happy with my bass for now. The 8" is definitely more than adequate in that tiny car!!

I know what your tricked out Spark looks like. I'll definitely honk if I pass you!! I work in Boca, so ya never know!!!

I'm going to have to do some exterior work to make my pinky stand out!! I've seen 1 in Boca (with 2 men in their 50s in it), 1 in Lake Worth (the first, which inspired me to get mine), and 1 in Palm Beach Gardens but those people live in Miami (yes, I talked to them!) I saw a blue one today in PBG and waved to the dude driving. ;)

I'm in Boca. I see quite a few Sparks when I'm driving the wife's car, lol. What I see the most are rental Sparks. You can tell from the barcode stickers on the windows.

If I'm out I always talk to other Spark owners and non owners. People always want to talk about it.

Don't be fooled by the barcodes. I have one on my car also. It's the barcode to gain entry as a resident in the community where my mother lives!!! Blount County, TN tags are a good indicator of rentals as they have a super low wheel tax there.

I need to do something to my car so you recognize me in Boca!! Hehehe I don't really drive around much down here, though. My office is right off 95 and I go to Subway for lunch right around the corner and right back to 95 after work.

I've noticed with my gumball/Easter egg car that it's not only Sparkers that are in the "club!" Often when I pass a tiny, fun-colored car, the drivers will smile and wave.