Coasting in neutral with the CVT?

When I was "borrowing" my mothers 07 caliber with a cvt many moons ago I coasted very often with it in neutral, many times with the motor off. I was able to average 34mpg in mixed driving. Its rated 28 highway. I also had higher tire pressures, 3/4 belly tray, and a hot air intake.

The only gains to be had is to be able to coast long distances. Otherwise coasting in gear activates fuel shut off for fuel savings.

• 2 years later...

i wouldnt recommend it if you have to shift back into drive its probably not good for the trans at all. plus either way the engine is still idling using the same amount of gas really what gain like 2 mpg to have to buy a new transmission.. not worth the risk. not supposed to do it in an automatic i think a cvt would be even more touchy.

I have the 2013 4speed auto tranny and when I coast in "Drive gear (D)" down a hilly area or just on the road, I have reset the "Average mpg" counter just to see what it reads.... 0 to 1.1mpg...so no real benefit to going to neutral... and as Skids says "i think a cvt would be even more touchy." He is correct...in neutral (N) the CVT would drop down to first gear while the speed may be, say, 80mph. When you put it back to 'drive' (D) the CVT engages while in first gear and very quickly has to adjust to one of many higher settings to get back to sync. That puts a strain on both belts and the CVT to the aux gearbox this model has...not what you want and it won't destroy the CVT but won't help it either. With the inherent trouble prone design and proven component weakness..well,...you get my drift.