New to forum from Canada

Greetings from Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada. I am about 30 minutes from downtown Detroit, MI, USA if the custom officials are in a good mood. I am bound and determined to get a Spark. I have been researching and test driving them for quite a while. I MUST have the lemonade one, only because of the interior. That yellow and black "bumble bee" interior reminds me of my '56 Ford Crown Vicky. Yup! I am a senior. 71 years of age. Started out with small British cars, then graduated to older American made ones, and back to British or Japaneese vehicles. All of my current vehicles are American/Canadian made. My favourite vehicle in the 90's was a Pontiac Firefly convertible. They were not sold in the states. It was the same car as the Geo Metro, but with different badging. Loved that 1.0L 3 cylinder motor. Took me MANY happy miles...KM here in Ontario, before it rusted out and had to be junked. Motor and auto tranny lasted the whole of its life untouched. About 185 000 US miles.Saw the new 2014 Spark yesterday at a local dealer. The LT1 has added a backup camera as standard equipment. Nice. You can order a/c in the LS. Not an automatic so I was not able to try out the CVT. I have been trying to get a 2013 because of the tranny change. I do not like CVT transmissions. They seem to be noisier and rev higher. I'm not able to get the lemonade in a 2013, so I will have to wait until I can drive an auto one. Can any of you fellow Sparksters tell about what rev you have at 70 in an auto? My V8's turn about 2000rpm. I'm expecting a large numnber of rpm at that speed in a Spark. Thanks for your time, and happy motoring. Lucwolf

Welcome! I insist on going with the '14. So far, everyone on here who has driven the cvt preferred it over the busy 4sp auto. Also, both the cvt and manual for '14 have revised gear ratios to lower rpm at speed, and gain 1 mpg. Many '13 owners have problems with their a/c not working right, and also needed software updates to fix other issues. Customer relations with GM has left a bad taste in many people's mouths, too. I suggest checking out a few other cars, even used cars, such as Fiat, Mini Cooper, and the Fiesta before settling with the Spark. I'm unloading mine before the powertrain warranty runs out, or maybe sooner.

Thanks to all that replied. I've read that 3000rpm is a good operating speed for an engine. It is a 2014 for me! Now I have to find one nearby. Happy "sparking", all!

Not sure what time of the year up there is tax time for the dealers, but here December is one of the best times for discounts and finance incentives, and odds are more likely to find a better selection of '14s.