Spark Fan

Hi everyone,

While waiting for my current car to be serviced I took a look at the Spark in the showroom and all I have to say is I fell in love with this unique little car, everything about it is fantastic.

I still have a year or two with my '08 Pontiac G5 Sedan but I have settled on my next car and I'm thinking a Techno Pink Spark, the Pontiac is my first GM car and it won't be my last, I'll be looking forward to the time I get to finally pick up a brand spanking new Spark (which will be my first new car).

This forum will be super helpful in what options I should get, accessories etc.

- Brit

The Pontiac I owned before my Spark was a great car but plagued with design problems. The 1999-2003 Grand Ams (mine was a 2001) have a LIM gasket issue and they all blow eventually. Mine did and the head gasket went too. It had the 3.4L engine. I loved my Pontiac but the Grand Ams/Grand Prix/G5/G6/G8 simply have too many issues. My advice would be to ditch it as quickly as possible.

That being said we love our Spark. This isn't some first year car where kinks have to be worked out. It's been on sale internationally for over a year and before that it was known as the Daewoo Matiz. Those cars have been highly rated in Korea, Europe and South America for quite some time. Yes it's a small car and the automatic not coming in a 6-speed flavor is a huge mistake. A well equipped 1LT with MyLink, automatic, leather trimmed seats, power windows, etc put us back $15.4K US. For a few thousand more you can get a Sonic hatchback but the reliability of the Matiz over the years has convinced me the Spark was a good pick. The Sonic is an update to the Aveo and those haven't treated some owners well over the years. I support GM and their operations here in America and Canada but I couldn't turn down this Korean built Chevy.

I have a feeling they made more pink Sparks than they can sell, especially if you are willing to use a manual transmission, you may want to see if you can swing the upgrade sooner since your current car will lose trade in value with each passing year. There are a couple of the pink Sparks with manual transmission in New York if you felt like taking a trip to look at one. Use the chevy search tool and use zip code 13202 to find the one closest to you. Not sure if that color has made it up to you yet.

I do agree that not using a nice 6 speed multi-clutch automatic was a big mistake, I would have paid the extra $1000usd to get the 6 speed auto (paddle shifter would be even more cool).

BTW, Chevy Korea is Daewoo, they grabbed it when Daewoo spun it off from the rest of the group:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Korea

My favorite Chevys have been made by Suzuki in Canada and some even had the Geo name tag.

• 5 weeks later...