Has anyone noticed increased mileage when they have extra weight / people in the car?

I haven't done any conclusive testing, but it seems like I get significantly higher mileage when I have more people / weight in the car.

Since aero trumps weight in most cases, I wonder if the lowering effect of having extra people in the car results in a more aero car and hence better mileage?

Where I live, it is quite flat and I do a lot of highway driving at 75 mph. The aero effects of being lowered would be more significant at those speeds than at say 50 mph, I would think.

I guess I could throw a bunch of weight on the floor and see if I get better mileage, compared to just driving around with my weight. With the snow we get and some of the bad roads, I'd rather not lower the car permanently with springs.

I've seen the same phenomenon in every vehicle I've owned. People in the car = better fuel mileage. Something to do with driving "nicer" when my wife is in the car ready to get on me for driving too fast/tailgating/taking off at lights/spilling her coffee.

I should say I've seen the phenomenon of saving gas with more people in the car with select people in the car. They all seem to be women. Mom, sister, girlfriends, wife.... this has been going on for years.

• 2 months later...

After my wheels and sub/amp weight I finally went back up to 28mpg

I don't commute much in my car not anywhere near what most of you do. I really got the car because of the price and to build my credit but I ended up loving the little thing lol

Edited by Lovgun7