I have a new 2013 Spark with touchscreen system. Something I've run into a few times already, and seems bound to frustrate me: how do I use the touchscreen without listening to the radio? I have almost no interest in radio (XM or otherwise), but do find the other features useful -- Bluetooth audio, hands-free calling, USB input. Yet, whenever I'm in the process of connecting one of these, the default for the system is to play whatever radio station it was last on. I just want silence.

Example scenario: I'm listening to some music over Bluetooth from my phone. I stop the car and get out (grocery store, maybe). I get back in and turn on the car. Now I'm listening to the radio. :-( (After a few -- like 30-90 -- seconds, the phone reconnects, and I can manually switch from the radio back to my music.)

"Turn it off" won't work, because I can't get to any of the buttons (not even Settings!) without turning the thing on, which automatically turns on the radio.

"Mute it" sort of works, I guess, except that I've got to mute and unmute all the time.

What I'm looking for is a "stop" button, or a "none" source, or something, but can't find anything like that.

I'm kind of curious to know if it's possible to use OnStar navigation without listening to the radio...

I guess my question might seem too obscure. Let me try something more direct:

I'm in my car. The infotainment system is off. Is it possible for me to make a (bluetooth) phone call without the radio playing (which is what happens between when I turn on the system and make the phone call)?

(Through some experimenting, I have learned that the system is more useful when turned "off" than I expected: it will receive calls, and will reconnect to a paired Bluetooth phone in the background. But I can't find any way to make calls.)