2014 Spark Bad Fuel Injector

I was driving through the smokies last weekend when the check engine light and traction control light came on and the car began to struggle. It was quite nerve racking as there is no cell service up there. I made it home and the lights were off the next day. I got the car to the dealer and a code indicated that there was a misfire on cylinder 3. The dealer is recommend that the fuel injector be replaced to the tune of just under $400. This seems crazy to me as the car only has 45,000 miles. I am also worried that there may be an underlying issue and we may just be putting a bandaid on a bigger problem. 

Has anyone here had a similar issue?

A misfire can happen once or many times but as long as the warning lights are now off and if the car idles and runs OK, I would leave it be. If it happens again take it to a trusted mechanic. Before we had all these sensors cars would have the odd misfire with no indication and no serious issue. Just check that the car idles smoothly since a misfire would cause a slight shudder..maybe run a can or two of injector cleaner thru the gas tank. $400 for a single injector replacement is way too high..Injector part is about $36/$49 (OEM/GM) and labor about 1-1.5hrs.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
4 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

A misfire can happen once or many times but as long as the warning lights are now off and if the car idles and runs OK, I would leave it be. If it happens again take it to a trusted mechanic. Before we had all these sensors cars would have the odd misfire with no indication and no serious issue. Just check that the car idles smoothly since a misfire would cause a slight shudder..maybe run a can or two of injector cleaner thru the gas tank. $400 for a single injector replacement is way too high..Injector part is about $36/$49 (OEM/GM) and labor about 1-1.5hrs.

Thank for the input! I opened a case with GM and spoke with a rep on the phone who offered a $300 discount. Unfortunately they could not get the service rep from the dealership on the phone. The sent the dealership an email, and failed to mention the $300 discount they offered me on the phone, which the service rep snarkily let me know this morning. The most frustrating part of this is that I am flying to the south pacific today for work and will be gone until mid-September.

Update from the airport. The GM rep has rescinded her offer of $300 off, because the dealer is offering 10% off!?! Her reason was that she did not guarantee the offer? So, offeres from GM are only valid if they use the word "guarantee"?

No big deal...there is a reason dealers are called 'dealers'... I would find a good reliable shop and stick with them from now on...and I know there are many good shops in NC. I had a bad injector replaced on a previously owned Impala at the shop I have used for many years..made an appointment so they could order the part (OEM) and two hours after my appointment, I was on my way with a $173 bill..labor, parts and tax. As is their custom..engine bay cleaned, fluids etc checked and one year full warranty...so basically..no big deal and as I said before a few misfires and then goes away could just be a dirty injector that clears up after some miles with injector cleaner run thru it...assuming it is the injector and not the coil on plug that will give you similar misfires...also not a big expense, and a good shop can check both. Just because some tech at the dealer says injector..it may not be that at all.