2014 Chevy Spark ditching four-speed automatic for CVT

Some of the bigger more complex scooters have an electronically controlled CVT, or something other than a simple CVT.

The simple CVT simpy uses centrifugal force to open and close ramped pulleys to alter the gear ratios. It's kind of like a constant velocity carburetor, it's really old technology, but it still works very well and is extremely reliable and efficient, even when compared to modern electronically controlled versions. That being said, Kymco has a 300cc scooter engine that produces 29+ horsepower and still uses the good 'ole mechanical CVT design.

Personally I think CVT's should left be where they belong.. On scooters. I used to be into quads and all my riding buddies with the 4x4s would get into the heavy mud and every one of the cvts would slip and burn up belts. Give me gears and a clutch! The only thing that will ever go bad (in most cases) is a clutch,pressure plate and throwout bearing every now and then and on rare occasions a synchronizer or 2 (automotive applications). Cvt is a simple design and works very well for light duty applications. I cant even imagine having a cvt in anything automotive and towing with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Jalapeño is still in the catalogue... They dropped Techno Pink and replaced it with Grape Ice... I guess girls (and some guys) will be disappointed... Another big update they introduced in 2014 (apart from the CVT) is the bigger side mirrors... Which is something I always disliked about my 2013 Spark, how small they are. They create a lot of blind spots, especially when changing lanes... And I don't know why Chevy USA made them smaller like that, just for the US market, since all around the world the Sparks have big mirrors, like the Cruze. And of course, there is the issue with the illumination of the steering wheel buttons (for MyLink equipped units). Which leads me to wonder if the power window controls on the driver side door are supposed to illuminate too... Cause mine don't.