Anyone put a hitch on their Spark yet? I want to be able to pull a small trailer with a motorcycle on it and want to see what other people might have done. Any manufacturers I should stay away from for the hitch?

I want to get a "Trailer in a Bag", but they are kind of pricey, so I may just look for a used personal watercraft trailer and convert it to motorcycle duty. the advantage of this is that when I need to go in for service, I can drop the trailer and ride the cycle to work, then reverse the process when it is all done. It would also let me have a trailer for buying any additional cycles that I may want to buy.

Just be prepared to hide the lighting wiring whenever you go into a dealer for service, the car wasn't designed for towing anything, and could void powertrain warranty. The hitch should appear used only for a bike rack. I've had good luck with draw tight hitches on other vehicles. I used my old Accent to pull a small boat, and a teardrop trailer that both weighed under 800lbs, but I wouldn't attempt it on this car, it can barely pull it's own weight. The Home Depot trailers are poorly made, in my opinion, I suggest converting a lightweight jet ski trailer, or search Cl for a used 4X8 that's ultra light.

Hmmm...... So I guess pulling up to the Chevy dealer to drop off my car, locking the trailer to a light pole and taking off to go to work on my motorcycle might be a bad idea.

In looking at the hitch instal instructions for just about all the hitch kits I can find, there are 3/4 inch holes in the frame, but they make us drill 1/2 inch holes right on top of them. Now to me this makes no sense when it looks like 4 bolts and the bumper cover comes off. What I think I may do is drill a 3/4 hole in the hitch, take the bumper cover off, weld a 3/4 nut to a piece of metal and slip it inside the frame (so it can't turn), then use a 3/4 bolt to hold the hitch in place. Then install and removal is three bolts and drop the muffler off the hanger and should be a 20 minute job. the third bolt goes through the tie down hook on the bumper.

As far as trailers go, I'm really leaning toward a personal watercraft trailer and bolt a rail to the center and weld or bolt some tie down attachments in various places. That should keep the tongue weight low and the towing weight will be less than 3 adults riding in the passenger seats so the car won't be working much harder than normal. If I'm having problems braking then I'll put some kind of electric brake on the trailer to help slow everything down. I should be able to find a single PWC trailer for next to nothing and as you said the rail is cheap and might cost less than a good front wheel chock.

Edited by Greg_E

When you hide the wiring, don't do it somewhere obvious. They'll do an excellent job of looking for it. What I'd recommend is getting a harness from a door or something from a junkyard car that you can use to quickly disconnect the trailer wiring when needed. If it's in the spare tire well, the dealer will find it. If it's under the bumper and they put it on a lift, they'll find it there too.

One of the neat things about the Spark is the twist beam rear suspension ... your rear wheels will stay straight when towing (or moreso than traditional IRS) - you won't end up with your rear wheels cambered out like this /----\.

There might be insurance issues if you're towing with it and something happens. The car isn't rated to tow, and that's what the insurance company is going to stick with, should something happen. I can't tow with my 2011 Focus, I would have insurance issues if I did ... however, mechanically and structurally, my Focus is identical to the 2006 Focus that could tow 2000 pounds. Ford just wants to sell me a F150.

I'm not sure a braking system would work on such a light trailer. I think any amount of braking (at least what would be required to help) would just cause the brakes to lock up . The trailer is light and it's going to be on realllly short tires - I think all you would do is lock up the brakes on the trailer when trying to stop.

But it can be argued that the Spark is meant for towing... The EU versions have a towing kit available from the dealers and since this is a global car a person with enough money could fight them in court and win.

Since I do have a pending driveline/transmission issue maybe I better wait. Hiding the wiring adapter might be tough since it needs a 3 wire to 2 wire device (separate brake, turn, marker to combined brake/turn), only a few places to put it. And then the wires to the trailer would need to come out somewhere which would probably be through the hatch and just get closed in the gasket when you need it.

Have to think about this a little more before I order parts.

Also to reinforce what was said about warranty... When I was picking my car up I over heard a sales person talking to a pickup truck buyer, they were talking about how if you didn't buy the towing package that the warranty would not be covered. This was for a large 4 passenger 1 ton pickup, so just having a larger vehicle doesn't help unless you are willing to go to court.

C'mon Greg, Bikes arent meant to be on trailers! They are meant to ride! Unless my bike breaks it will never be on a trailer and after 20 years it has has yet to be on one! The only bikes that belong on trailers are Harleys! You dont own a Harley do you? LOL

The two biggest reasons to want a trailer are for buying used cycles and for service on my car, consider the second option like a dingy or lifeboat. Drop the car at the dealer for service and ride the cycle to work, then reverse at the end of the day.

And I sort of own a Harley, it's actually the red headed step child that they killed as soon as they could... it's a Buell.

Gotcha on the trailer. I like Buells. My buddy is looking around for a first bike and I found a real nice Blast for him. I test rode one of those brand new in 05 and loved how it rode. Any pics of your bike? Dont mean to hijack this post or change the subject. I like cars but love my bikes! Here is mine.

post-611-0-93190500-1368099823_thumb.jpg

Edited by Classing

I'm not sure where you live, but I live in the northeast. If i get stuck in the snow with my Focus, there's nothing to pull from. A tow hitch on the back of the Focus would at least allow it to be dragged out.

They would have to prove that you were using it to tow and that towing caused the drivetrain problem. Any vehicle in the junkyard would be able to provide the harness needed to make a quick disconnect setup to hide the wiring. My 3/36 is over soon on the Focus (and I do have a problem with the transmission that Ford denies) ...at that point I'll add a hitch for recovery and a bike rack.

The towing package likely added a transmission cooler (which should be standard on a truck). It's sad when trucks don't include the necessary stuff to tow ...

Blast is a good starter bike and economical commuter, but I would probably look into making a cafe racer like this one:

http://www.crossroadsperformance.com/cp/?cat=20

Scroll down until you see the orange Blast.

I have an XB9R with a 1050 cc kit.

I'm still thinking about the trailer situation... I do have a front wheel dolly that doesn't require lights, but it uses a 2 inch receiver so I would need to modify the dolly to work and not sure I want to put that kind of torque on the hitch.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Spark/2013/C11334.html?vehicleid=20138807

This is a fine hitch for 2013 Base Model Spark I am buying to tow a NEW 400 Pound Sea Doo "Spark" Jet Ski in the spring.

With a 200 pound Jet Ski trailer the tongue weight will be about 50 pounds - Which is less than a 150 Pound person sittin g in the Rear seat or 2 or 3 people riding in the car???

With my manual I will be able to use the proper gear to maintain about 3,000- 3,400 RPMs so its Not a problem to me OR the car?

• 1 month later...

I installed a hitch on my LS manual Spark the day after I bought it. Dealer has never even mentioned it car is now 7 months old with 34,000 miles and no problems at all. Generally I tow a 4' x8' fold up trailer with either my atv or rider mower about 100 miles to cabin. pulls down the road fine at 65mph, and still gets 32-36 mpg. normal driving without the trailer I get 45-46 doing the same

Glad to hear you have towed with No problem and have 35,000 Miles!!!! I put on the etrailer hitch above and its very solid. The Spark Jetski I,m going to tow is only 405 pounds and I found a Triton small jet ski trailer (LXT Model) that is only 135 Pounds - So my total towing weight will be 540 or about 45-50 pounds tongue weight which should be No problem keeping the Manual RPM,s a Little higher than normal and avoiding Long hills?

Edited by Sarge707
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this topic is a bit old but I am wondering about towing as well. More specifically about which transmission I may need to get to tow a small motorcycle trailer camper with a tongue weight of 20lbs and total weight of 325lbs. Should I be looking at the 2013 4-speed auto or 2014 CVT. A manual is out of the question since I live in LA and using a standard in LA traffic is a major PITA; I did it for awhile and hated it. Here's the trailer info:

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=91_122&products_id=192

Edited by m1ckDELTA

Those campers are really cool! Considering the wait and size, the camper should be in the aerodynamic shadow of the car and shouldn't really be any different than putting 2 more people in the car so I don't think the transmission would matter. That said towing anything with a auto can cause more wear and higher temperatures down the road, I think I would shorten the tongue a bit to get it closer to the car to remove most of the drag and maybe pack it for a slightly higher tongue weight. You are probably breaking new ground and you'll have to take the good for the bad along the way.

But those are plenty cool and I'm going to have to remember this when I finally get a touring cycle.

I wouldn't tow anything with a CVT,especially a JATCO CVT. They are not reliable.

The automatic on the 2013 is made by Aisin (Toyota). Aisin makes excellent transmissions. If I had to tow with a non manual spark,it would be the Aisin auto. Put a big cooler on and don't use OD when towing

Edited: My tablet autocorrected Aisin to Raisin

Edited by NoSprak

A "tent" that you can set up in rain or snow with little effort in a minute, raised off the ground, safer to heat and cook in than a tent, standing headroom. Great for weekending in the great outdoors with someone who doesn't want to sleep in a tent on the ground. If I'm solo in summer, sure, I won't bother with a car or trailer either; just lash a hammock, mummy bag, pad, and a tarp (just in case) to the Sportster and ride to the mountains. Some homemade jerky, coffee and trailmix will do me fine. Nice to have choices.

Edited by m1ckDELTA

we have a roof top tent. Set up in 5 min, break down in about the same. Can sit on the roof rails of your car. We have it on a trailer, but it is designed for a roof rack. Here it is:

1f74edd3-fba9-4556-8fde-ef7281966bd9_zpsHere it is folded up on the trailer.

IMAG0020_zps04b59ec3.jpgHere it is opened up. When it folds up, it is only as wide as the trailer, and about 28-24" tall.

FLex-carsstyle1_zps7b39c513.jpgAnd a gratuitous pic of the tow vehicle :)