I know you guys love when i post... EXHAUST

If you run it long enough without a muffler you might get an error code for the cat. not working properly. Because we have yearly inspections, I would go with something that looks like a muffler in the back, even if it was nothing more than perforated pipe with a box around it like some of the Magnaflow mufflers. That way technically I have a muffler installed even if it is a straight through design.

I would be concerned that could give GM a reason to void emission warranty. Sounds kinda mean, but also like my old Geo when the muffler fell off after a few midwest winters when I moved out of state . One of the reasons why I bought mine was because the engine is much quieter than the Accent, and much less harsh when revved. You should check out some of the performance mufflers that people use on Hondas. Those mufflers should give you the right sound you want, and would not void any warranty.

If anything DID go wrong they would have to prove without a doubt that whatever went wrong WAS caused by having no mufflers. It's not like a bent valve would occur we ran open headers for 3 and half seasons and nothing happened to our car. The cold air going back in an exhaust is bullshit

The idea is that valves warp and then lose enough contact with the head for heat dissipation. I've also seen people saying that exhaust leaks can do this also. The theory is that upon shutdown, cold air can reach the valves and warp them especially if they are open (unseated from the head).

Which if open headers really burned up valves then lets bring into context WW2 fighters.. they were designed for longevitiy AND power... and they never burnt valves up every flight like people like to make it seem. if you run open block yes.... Somewhere I read it only takes 3 inches of piping off of the exhaust to be enough to prevent burning of valves. So valves and engine are completely out of the question.

LAstly..., The Magnuson-Moss Act

Modyfing cars while keeping warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.

Some dealerships may say 'just because you have a "INSERT MOD HERE" or something that the whole vehicle warranty is voided. NOT TRUE!!

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

The burden of proof is on the service department and manufacturer to prove the issue in question is the direct result of the "MOD". If they can not do that then they have to honor the warranty.

CLIFF NOTES... MOD YOUR SHIT DO IT PROPERLY DON'T CAUSE DAMAGE....

Edited by 70-yenko-nova
  • 3 months later...

Modding a car with a warranty will not void the warranty so to speak. If you put a different exhaust, or mod the stock one, obviously this will void the exhaust warranty. If you lower a car, you void the suspension warranty. But as far as the actual engine being covered, you'll be fine. My G6 broke down March 2012. And I mean it broke down to the point that GM sent a wrecker to come pick it up to take it to the stealership. The tow was even free; covered by warranty. At the time they took the G6, it had an aftermarket CAI, aftermarket ECM, and was straight pipe. Well it had no cat and a catback Magnaflow exhaust. They fixed the car; under warranty. No big deal

Edited by tommyspark