As they get older, someone might be really crafty and mod it to fit the 1.4 turbo from a Sonic into it. That could make for a little fun, and still get excellent mpgs doing it. As is, it's all I need, and is perfectly capable keeping up with fast moving traffic and high speed limits. Hopefully, it won't fall apart like GM's I had in the past. The engine has a timing chain instead of a belt, which is a huge plus, my old car was due for a $450 timing belt change.

Edited by austex04
As they get older, someone might be really crafty and mod it to fit the 1.4 turbo from a Sonic into it.

And there goes the reason for buying a Spark. Hell for $23,000, I could have scored a Sonic LTZ turbo, loaded to the hilt, with 17" rims, low profile tires, sliding, tilting sunroof, mylink, leather interior, the whole ball of wax. I already had a car equipped comparably, with 4 disc brakes, full instrumentation, better acceleration, why buy a Spark? The car is not a performance car, it is a city car, plain and simple, just look at the center of gravity, how fast do you want to go in this car, without a fully paid life insurance policy, including an accident clause? Economy or performance? Economy, go for the Spark, high performance, pull out a few more bucks, and buy something with a few more cojones. I'm not trying to be a panicy annie, just a realist, unless you are prepared to totally fortify this car, beef up the suspension, braking system, lowering the center of gravity, etc., then it is all just a pipe dream.

Edited by WaltK

I could piece together one for under 1000... using my partial sponsorships with Tial .. I wish I could use mishimoto but they dont got a top mount I want.

$250 for Tial BOV
$250 for Tial W/G with either 3.7psi spring or 5.8psi
$70 for Ford TC/SC top mount intercooler
$50 for random piping and what not
$200 for rebuilt k03 turbo (or buy junkyard one and rebuild kit for $90)
$50 oil lines and what not

now the 2 options you have.. if your crazy/retarded/bored you can turn the manifold upside down route exhaust DIRECTLY into turbo (you wont use a hood for this or cut holes) top mount off to the side too. turbo facing forward with lil cone filter ($30) on the front of it.

if you need better injectors.. buy stock ones off a ford 2.3 ford (14# or 5.0 19# If i recall..)

I could be forgetting something its late.. but... thats $900 not ocunting injectors (don't think youll need)

just need to find a way to tune this thing or make it run little leaner so it gets a better burn on the fuel. bam.. more power low end so bigger tires/gear ratio. so better cruising highway.

How fast were you driving and what are your expectations? I have no problem jumping up from 45mph to pass a moron and a truck hauling timber (moron kept looking like they would pass, and then never going). Put it in third, put foot to floor, no problems getting up to 60mph to pass both vehicles in a short amount of time. Moron passed just after me but didn't seem to make any haste in passing, later passed me because he was mad but kept going faster than me so I didn't care. The Spark takes a small low power driving mentality, especially when most people are used to driving cars with more than 100 horse power. Compared to the Chevy Metro I once owned, this thing is a power house. Compared to my Buell XB9R motorcycle with 1050cc big bore, it is a slug.

Third gear is good for about 70mph, this should handle all normal back road passing situations. Highway should be no problem in 5th or 4th and I have yet to meet a hill on the highways that requires going down a gear.

Did that take a while? The one I test drive didn't seem to enthusiastic. I punched it in 5th gear and not much happened, shifted to 4th and ... not much happened again.

yeah it was while.. she held good.. they seem very unstable once you let off the gas... the "torque" seems to hold it steady.

Yeah 3rd is our "power gear" . As well I'm pretty sure we have a form of "VTEC" for our cars that engaes around 3400-3500 because there is just the SLIGHTEST audible in the intake and feel the power around 3500.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, so I have maxed out my spark, attached is a photo going about 111. That is not the max, the max is at around 116. When the car reaches that speed it immediately shuts of gas to the engine and shuts the engine off until about 100 when the car will start receiving gas again and will run like normal.

post-367-0-30759500-1375278621_thumb.jpg

^ I used to have a '98 deville with the 300horse northstar...used to hit the 115 limiter like a fucking wall (fastest couch ive ever driven) and the readout below the speedo will say something about top speed and fuel cut off. Wouldnt come back on until around 100 as well

The Spark is definitely not a high performance vehicle, and never will be, no matter what you attempt to bolt on to that little puny block. If you manage to push a little too much up there, with the stock suspension, and high center of gravity, you will probably kill yourself, that is if you dont start shooting connecting rods through the block first. The Spark is a fun, well equipped, little micro car engineered for great mileage. If you want more, you have the wrong car.

Cosmetic mods are fun, worthwile mechanical mods would be rear discs for openers. There is just not a lot their to work with, unless you have massive bank accounts, I would just enjoy the vehicle.

What he said....

Everyone buys different vehicles for different reasons. I have an 08 G6 GT that literally is modded as much as it can be. Lowered on Eibach's, full magnaflow exhaust, cat delete, CAI, and a tune. Debadged, tint, Customized interior, Memphis speakers too. (no sub; need trunk space for kids, travel etc) Unfortunately once Pontiac tanked, no companies made any other mods for it. Sure I could replace internals etc, but in my opinion, that'd be messing with fire. It's a daily driver and getting into honing cylinder walls/ replacing internals would seriously reduce the dependability of the car and KILL gas mileage. and as is she no doubt gets the job done under WOT. 0-60 in her is low 6's. 14.96 quarter mile. Nothing to brag about, but gets the job done. However, she only gets between 24&26 highway, and probably about 17-20 city. Real world combined she gets 22 MPG. Not bad for a 3.5L, but far from amazing..

We traded in an 05 Equinox on our Spark. We live outside of Memphis, and commute to Memphis a lot. I'm a disabled veteran, and unfortunately am at the VA hospital quite often. 3 times just last week alone. It's right around 80 miles round trip to the hospital. I am a full time student in Memphis, which is about 70 miles round trip; 4 times a week. You see where I'm going with this. We bought the Spark for it's outstanding gas mileage. The only mods we'll be doing to the Spark is replacing speakers (done) and tint...... Other than that, put gas in her and smile when I look down at the MPG numbers :)

So we basically traded vehicles. My woman drives about 9 miles each way to work, so she now gets to ride around in the G6. Needless to say, she doesn't mind :) And believe it or not, she's better at not bottoming out than me?!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...