Our cars won't be winning any racings...maybe against a smart fortwo and a Scion iQ, but we would lose against the Sparks bigger brother the Sonic as well as the Fiat 500 and Toyota Yaris.

Spark - 10.8

fortwo - 11.5

iQ - 11.8

Sonic - 8.4

Yaris - 9.4

500 - 9.8

I do love my Spark and it may be a bit on the slow side but that doesn't matter :D

I can't break into the 10s to save my life I got a solid 12.0 today but wasn't rapping gears out.

I'm not sure what I'm at, but where I get on the highway it has a slight hill and I may as well be standing still in the slow lane till it levels out and then I'm sailing :D The Spark would be made even more awesome if it was offered in a 1.4L Turbocharged, 6 Speed Automatic (for this gal who only drives auto). I wonder if someone will do that down the road when the Spark is in need of some heavy engine/transmission work, put in a Sonic engine instead..(not sure what is required to do a swap like that)..regardless that would be fantastic :D

Edited by Riverspark

I never timed a 0-60 in the wifeys auto...however 60-80mph only took 13 seconds vs. her old '95 Protege 1.5 auto (with a custom cai and full exhaust) was 18seconds. When we took the test drive...I told her to punch it with me and the salesman in the car and it actually started accelerating...i was like sold!

well your very good at it then too... the manifold shouldn't be to hard.. use stock manifold flange... run the pipes up into a collector into the turbo.... boom.. then the intake side right into the TB.. intercooler placement would be easy.. either a huge top mount of front mount. take me like... 20 mins of R&D.

The Spark is definitely not a high performance vehicle, and never will be, no matter what you attempt to bolt on to that little puny block. If you manage to push a little too much up there, with the stock suspension, and high center of gravity, you will probably kill yourself, that is if you dont start shooting connecting rods through the block first. The Spark is a fun, well equipped, little micro car engineered for great mileage. If you want more, you have the wrong car.

Cosmetic mods are fun, worthwile mechanical mods would be rear discs for openers. There is just not a lot their to work with, unless you have massive bank accounts, I would just enjoy the vehicle.

see he wings the fuck out of it.. next time I might try that.. so far... best ive gotten was HIGH 11 low 12 second.. he started at 9 sec in the video got 60 around 21-22 so.. i think its around 12-13 seconds for him...

EDIT:MY high 11 sec 0-60 though may be attributed in a NEGATIVE way I was short shifting like a MOFO.. however in a POSITIVE way I was FFS.

Edited by 70-yenko-nova
I'm not sure what I'm at, but where I get on the highway it has a slight hill and I may as well be standing still in the slow lane till it levels out and then I'm sailing :D The Spark would be made even more awesome if it was offered in a 1.4L Turbocharged, 6 Speed Automatic (for this gal who only drives auto). I wonder if someone will do that down the road when the Spark is in need of some heavy engine/transmission work, put in a Sonic engine instead..(not sure what is required to do a swap like that)..regardless that would be fantastic :D
I dunno if a turbo 1.4L Ecotec engine would fit in the Spark. I'd like to know if it's possible as well.

see he wings the fuck out of it.. next time I might try that.. so far... best ive gotten was HIGH 11 low 12 second.. he started at 9 sec in the video got 60 around 21-22 so.. i think its around 12-13 seconds for him...

EDIT:MY high 11 sec 0-60 though may be attributed in a NEGATIVE way I was short shifting like a MOFO.. however in a POSITIVE way I was FFS.

Yeah, he sure as heck does rev the thing! Edited by Trancer07

Notice the mpg readout says 6mpg, lol. Hopefully, GM is considering a gdi version of this engine. Gdi would bump up the hp and torque numbers to where this car will have more reasonable power. It'll also probably reach the 50mpg mark when driven modestly, and be the only non hybrid to get those numbers. I would have paid another grand to have a gdi engine.

My yaris has done over 20 tanks over 50mpg...I beat the hell out of it normally and only get 44-48mpg.

We did a trip in the Spark saturday...readout was 46.2mpg...but math proved to be 45.88mpg...or about 15 more mpg then her old car would have gotten...lol

The faster you go over 60mph, the further the mpgs drop on these tall, short wheelbase cars. I would imagine I could get mid 40's with mine, but our speed limits are way too high to get decent mpgs out of any vehicle. 65-70 mph on urban roads, 70-75 on two lane highways. If I take this car into LA, where the limits are slower, I will finally see. So far my mixed driving average is around 36 mpgs, and starts to drop going over 70. So far my mpg average is 6 more mpgs than the Hyundai Accent it replaced, although the Accent was faster with 110hp, the two cars weigh the same. I could go for some real Creole food.

Edited by austex04

Gearing is also important - it's geared for city driving. It's light and has short gearing to give the best mileage in the city and at lower speeds. Highway speed at 70MPH, it's spinning above 3000RPM. That, and not much aerodynamics do not help with fuel economy at highway speed. With that said, the one I drove got above EPA mileage and I wasn't being easy on it.

Turboing is an option - there's certainly enough space under the hood for it! However, can the bottom end of the engine take the turbo? how about the transmission? Will the computer be able to compensate for it? Also, once boosted, will you be able to put it down? MPGOmatic did a launch from a higher RPM and just spun the tires. Getting the boost built up and launching it to get the power down are going to be the trick.

I would only turbo it to increase full mileage.. I would use a bigger tire to gear it down a little bit and then lower it a little (so it doesn't look stupid) and the little turbo would give it a power boost to make up for the longer gearinng now. overall... should be better MPG and at the low PSI/power im thinking.. your not going to brake any parts and the cpu should EASILY compensate. We've turbocharged 1.0 3 cyl geos before.

What about looking at other Chevrolaewoos for upgrades? Once it's out of warranty, of course. From what I can tell, it uses a natural evolution of the engine that was used in the Aveo (S-Tech), the automatic from the Aveo ... so assuming the manual trans would be the same too. There were a bunch of Suzukis that used the same engine and trans as the Aveo. Maybe one can be found with more ideal gearing (lower RPM at highway speeds) and swapped in?

I think the engine in the Spark has a timing chain and not a timing belt ... which is good; the timing belt on the Aveos never made it to the specified interval set by GM ... they kept snapping wayyy too early.

Lowering it would help a bit, but there'd have to be some sort of kammback installed to help with the aerodynamics. You'd be pushing more air over the car ... and the sharp rake in the back doesn't help. I've wondered what type of gains someone would see by getting a hitch, making a kammback, and attaching it to the hitch. Then add lights and such. Would make the car look quite a bit different, but would be great for mileage. Might get some storage space out of the deal!

Edited by NoSprak