how to get rid of baffle on airbox? (right sode looking down)

It is literally a pipe that goes in to driver fenderwell and disappear into a black plastic box. Its a sound muffler. So....looks like I just need to turn wheel all way left remove the fender lining and unbolt it.

Now I'm a perf parts guy. I'm sad not to see ANY avail. I'll have to make them....ie intakes. So I want to remove the pipe to nowhere and use ducting to go from box to a cut out in bumper (where a fog lamp should be and unless im using big ole' piaa racing lights fogs are useless!) So any thoughts? I'm doing this tomorrow. Should have today but.....

The only issue I have around the intake is the MAF sensor. I guess if you can find an intake system that has the same or similiar MAF sensor on it, then you can adapt and make an intake for the car.

The sad reality though is a high flow K&N filter is already way overkill for such a low displacement engine. The only thing you "may" get is a sound change on intake at full throttle if you change to a short ram or CAI.

The physics behind the very low amount of air being sucked into this small engine make in unnecessary to add a CAI or Short Ram and get any worthwhile performance gain.

Heck on a typical non-forced-induction tuner setup, the gains from CAIs or Short Rams are very limited and not usually worth the money. Add Forced Induction and or high displacement engines and you'll get some whp out of an intake, but most setups is solely about sound or 5 whp or so gain.

I'm a full on car guy and pretty aggressive tuner, but I'm pretty locked into the reality that cosmetic modifications are about all I'd commit to right now for the Spark, as the amount of money to the result for such a small engine just doesn't make it worthwhile.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. I mean I can always find a pipe with similar mad set up and bolt it on. Unfortu atelu it doesn't just clamp on like a hose. But I know that replacing the entire system is pretty much useless except turbos. However, I want more cold air to the engine and a slightly more aggressive noise so that's my plan. I'll try it once the rain abets. Prolly Friday afternoon. Gotta meet with my employment attorney on Friday.

The real issue is hard changes to the engine for power like changing to premium fuel or cam changes or playing with the valve timing. I really feel Chevy could have gotten another 15hp out ts this little engine but that's with 93octane. Without at least another 10hp is possible but not by me! Heck the cat is literally bolted to the damned header primaries! So no 4-2-1 header here!

• 2 months later...