It's not right after you shut it off. I noticed it one day when I came home and just started to wash the Spark. Anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes after its shut off. It will be a high pitch noise that will start soft and get louder then fade out and off. Maybe lasts no more than 1 minute. Last night I waited around for it to happen. I wanted to go watch tv so I closed the hood and walked away and started to hear it. By the time I opened the door pop the hood and got my phone to record the sound faded out. It sounds like someone letting the air out of a ballon slowly, that annoying high pitch.

Okay, that would explain why I don't hear it - if it does happen on my car.

I park right in front of my home's door and walk inside within 30 seconds of shutting the car off.

I'll have to see if it does it the next time I drive the car (the car sits for days without being used since I normally ride a motorcycle everywhere).

Maybe this has something to due with mine and a few others with the air being cold, cool, cold, cool over and over. The compressor does not cycle but always runs so its not due to cycling.

We have a nice day today, around 75 degrees, I had to go to Home Depot, I parked a good distance from the store, a nice wide open isolated spot, away from all the other cars. I keep a small digital thermometer in the car, and when I came out, it read 103. I figured ok, lets try it. I kicked the air on, and it was working exactly as you describe, cold, cool, cold, cool, no cycling, so apparently, this is by design. I cant say I like it. In the summer, we easily get into the upper 80's, mid 90's, and killer humidity. The cold wasn't like brrrrr cold, I hope it gets better than this when the time comes. I hung around the driveway for a few minutes, after I got home, I didn't hear anything. This is the first time the a/c has been on since I bought the car.

Ok, I'm going to keep and eye on mine and if the sound turns into a problem that's what warrenty is for. Please let me know if anyone hears the noise. From reading on the web the noise in the compressor can be the high side bleeding back to the low side which it should not do at the compressor. Most say it needs replacing, but I will let it go since its under warrenty and working. I will try to get a video of it and post. But this makes me feel better that other are experiencing the cool cold cycle so it's not just me.

I have to tell you that the tint I put on is unbelievable. Before the tint I would have to ride around on recirculate and high just to be somewhat comfortable. Today I was able to use the recirculate and high for a few minutes then down to 3 then eventually to 2 and be very comfortable. Also you cannot feel much of any heat through the side windows. I can feel the heat through the front windshield real bad now. So I will be getting the front tinted with the air blue 80, can't wait.

I understand the car is small and so is the compressor but it could be better without the tint.

Here in Florida they tend to leave you alone. If you are looking for heat reduction get what I have, Llumar CTX. It ceramic and comes in all shades. You could do the backs in something dark but not too dark like 30%. Then do the front 2 in the air blue 80 tint. This will block the heat like 15% standard tint. I'm going to put this on my front windshield. It is basically clear. Here is the PDF of their tints: http://www.llumar.com/pdf/en/LLumarAutoSpecsUS.pdf

I couldn't locate a dealer dealing in that particular brand, so I am going with a generic non metallic tint. 5% 20% rear, 35% front, being the state of NJ outlaws the use of tints on the front windows, you have to deal with the guys that work out of their backyards, :unsure: the legitimate businesses wont touch the fronts. I've got a guy for Friday morning.

Edited by WaltK

I have not heard any noises from my a/c, but I have already taken mine to the dealer due to the cold cool cycling, and was told it was "doing what it's suppose to do". If It doesn't cool good this summer, this will be a final deal breaker for me, we get up to 100 degrees here with HIGH HIGH humidity. My 2005 Silverado truck will freeze me out, I expected the same from a brand new vehicle! My brother just bought a brand new Sonic and it doesn't cycle like that, it freezes you out. I think it may have something to do with that little bitty motor, just doesn't handle the compressor like it should constantly. I dunno.. but I'm going to be very angry if I drive around hot this summer :(

And for the oil change, I just changed mine, gave me code 82 at 6700 miles.

I think it may have something to do with that little bitty motor, just doesn't handle the compressor like it should constantly. I dunno.. but I'm going to be very angry if I drive around hot this summer :(

I think that may be the problem, small engine, tiny compressor, tiny performance. I know, I felt a drop in the acceleration when I kicked it on. I never even gave that a thought, my Mazda used to freeze me out, and before that, it was all big cars, V-8's, cold temps, no power drops whatsoever. We don't get the extreme temps that you describe, but every now and then we will get a "heat wave", where we could get a weeks worth of mid to upper 90's, with an occassional 100 deg. day, with choking humidity. I also wouldn't be a happy camper, dealing with those conditions. If this is going to be the case, then back to the dealer.

I've used mine enough to know it works as it should, it was 90 degrees when I test drove it. It's no worse a/c than my Hyundai Accent. Yes, it's weaker and slower than many other larger vehicles. You're going to have to actually open the windows for a few min after parking in sun, and use recirculate for the first 10 min or when driving at slower speeds in traffic. It's cycles are more noticeable until it's been on for awhile, or when you're constantly moving on the hwy, that's when recirculate can be turned off and the air should stay more comfortable on lower fan speeds. This is a common thing with small displacement engine cars, has to do with both power management and fuel efficiency. My old car came from the factory slightly undercharged, and the dealer found this, so they put a vacuum on the system and charged it full, it worked a little better, but still not as strong as larger cars.

It sounds like air escaping, from a loose joint, somewhere. It is a high pitch, although erratic, which would probably mean it is coming out from a very tight opening. Have you checked all the joints? Maybe, hopefully, something just needs to be snugged a little. You could try a little liquid dish detergent on the joints, watching for air bubbles.

I know if it was leaking that much I would have no ac by now. I found this on the web:

If your compressor is making a high pitched sound after turning off the engine, it is the high pressure side bleeding off into the low side. You will need a new compressor, that is why it will not cool at an idle but will cool above idle. Change out the compressor and drier (accumulator).

Maybe that's also why the ac really sucks at a light and maybe the cold cool while driving. The compressor can't build enough pressure to keep constant cold, bleeding by. Maybe there is a bad batch of ac compressors and some make the noise and some don't. Mine has been random. Today it was delayed by almost 20 minutes. I was outside washing our other vehicle when I heard the noise start. I grabbed my phone and got it on video.

Edited by bluer101

Sounds like it's time to put your warranty to work, let them make it right. I don't know if it will cure the cold/cool cycle though, as it seems from my experience, and a few of the other posters here, that's what it does by design. This unit is not going to give anybody frostbite, or goose bumps. :) I've played with mine a few more times, and no noises, YET....... :unsure:

Here's what you do: go to a auto parts store and pick up a a/c vent thermometer. Run the a/c for at least 10 min, drawing in fresh air, fan med-high. Thermometer should read at least 30 degrees below outside air temp at idle, if not, the system is "not operating as designed".

• 4 weeks later...

Well one of my residents loved my Spark so much she got one today too. It's the lemonade LT1 automatic. Also guess what, hers made the same high pitch sound after about 10 minutes of turning it off after using the AC. We were standing outside with them both side by side and it started the noise. I wonder what it is? I'm almost 100% positive it was coming from hers. Even my wife noticed it and said even hers does it.

• 5 weeks later...

Not yet but I will ask and see at some point.

Any recent updates ? Mine seems to be doing the same thing (and mine is also brand new). Since it seems so many new ones are doing it...debating getting it looked at since unless all of ours are defective...it might be (as others pointed out)...just a "characteristic" of this car.

Any recent updates ? Mine seems to be doing the same thing (and mine is also brand new). Since it seems so many new ones are doing it...debating getting it looked at since unless all of ours are defective...it might be (as others pointed out)...just a "characteristic" of this car.

I have an update, I'm trading mine in! It's getting into the 90's here in Oklahoma and the little a/c just struggles. And when you come to a complete stop (at a red light etc...) and take off, the thing gets WARM! I cannot take this heat and this is a deal breaker for me and the little car.

By this time next week I'll be driving a 2013 Hyundai veloster. Sorry guys, just too many issues with the little car :(

I have an update, I'm trading mine in! It's getting into the 90's here in Oklahoma and the little a/c just struggles. And when you come to a complete stop (at a red light etc...) and take off, the thing gets WARM! I cannot take this heat and this is a deal breaker for me and the little car.

By this time next week I'll be driving a 2013 Hyundai veloster. Sorry guys, just too many issues with the little car :(

No worries. Gotta do what ya gotta do.

Good luck Joe! it's too bad the Spark didn't work out for you. :) Lots of luck with the Veloster.

Thanks Waltk! And I asked, the steering wheel controls DO illuminate! LOL And the stereo in it is 450 watt dimension with amp and subwoofer already installed, 8 speaker system. We started the car and it idled until the a/c got very cold and stayed that way, no matter what we did. Very stoked about it! :)

Yes, her Spark has the same issues as most.

Joe, did you see the techlink i posted in the other cold cool thread? GM is aware of the issue and has 2 of 3 solutions while trouble shooting. One they are still working on. But if you made up your mind then more power to ya, good luck if you go that route.

Joe, did you see the techlink i posted in the other cold cool thread? GM is aware of the issue and has 2 of 3 solutions while trouble shooting. One they are still working on. But if you made up your mind then more power to ya, good luck if you go that route.

Thanks Bluer101, I did not notice that thread. I will tell the Hyundai dealer ship about that when I do the trade so they can maybe get it fixed. It will be a hard sell in the summer time....