Electronic Rust Protection

When I bought the car I opted to get all the options to protect the vehicle (paint, fabric and rust), which included an Electronic Rust Protection Module....I have read that not a lot of people reckon them. Spoke to one friend who had one on his Neon and he swears by them, so on his new Focus it was a no brainer. I'm debating if I should also get the car undercoated as one more line of protection from the salt or do a long term experiment and see if these actually do hold the rust at bay and slow the progression of any forming rust (I do plan on keeping the Spark till it no longer has the spark to run).

-Brit

post-516-0-30076200-1365386937_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Judging by the rusty beaters I've owned in the past (ungaraged, New England), one of the most important places to protect is the brake lines where they are exposed in the wheel wells. I've had 2 cars lose break lines, one burst while I was driving in -20 F weather!

• 6 months later...

Living in snowy areas is horrible, all the salt brine they put on the roads is rediculous. Get a product called Fluid Film or Transtar's Amber Rustproofing. The sparks have plugs in front of the rear wheel wells and on the bottom of the rockers (part underneath your doors, common rusthole) and go to TOWN spraying that stuff. Spending a few dollars on a can is better insurance than paying some bearded man to hackjob your rockers just to inspect the car several years from now.

Fluid Film is also great for almost anything, it's an awesome lubricant and PLEASE (being a bodyman/mechanic) lube your stuff. If you open your door every day, lube the hinges. Lube all hinges. All the suspension, rear and front. It smells when it's burned but it wont hurt if you get it on exhaust. Be careful around your brakes because you don't want any lubricity on your break pads/rotors, that defeats the purpose of brakes.

I understand it's a cheap car but I bet these things will last forever if we really take care of them

• 2 months later...

re: the undercoating - it depends WHERE you drive. I see you are from Toronto (like me!). The city PILES salt on the streets and its hard on the cars. Do you mostly drive in or outside of the city?

I do a mix of in city driving and I go out to Belleville twice a week. Almost at 37,000km right now

• 1 month later...

yeah, I did a bit of looking into it, and for people like me and riverspark, who do a fair bit of city driving in Canada, rust protection is increasingly important as the cities keep pouring more salt onto the roads. I found a great article in the globe and mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/do-i-need-to-install-an-electronic-rust-inhibitor/article535224/) showing how overpriced the erp's are when the dealer sells them. so i decided to check out the krown blog to hear their thoughts on electronic rust proofing (http://www.krown.com/blog/2014/06/electronic-rust-protection/) and came across the list of products recommended by the Automobile Protection Agency - thought I should post it here for folks:

http://www.apa.ca/services_rustproofing.asp

They give a pretty good run-down on how dealers profit but drivers are overcharged with these devices. They also list some trusted rustproofers from Canada.