• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I changed the snow tires back to stock tires today and noticed a few things were rusting really bad (pictures to come). How many of you have a lot of rust on the front break rotors? Looking at the exh

more pictures on the netherlands club webpage: http://chevroletsparkclub.hyves.nl/album/70426038/Het_MdB_Album/qYRxWIf7/?pageid=ADTM6UXPEM0WSSKS8#mb=&__state__=24

I wouldn't throw the Spark under the bus just yet. All rotors have a little rust, it is the undercarriage of Gregs car that concerns me, I am curious as to what the dealers are going to find, as his

Posted Images

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Greg_E" data-cid="4757" data-time="1366471136"><p>

Nope it lives outside.</p></blockquote>

Makes me happy I no longer live in the rust belt. I felt horrible watching my Seattle car rust after relocating to the upper midwest. Up there, you see plenty of cars less than 8 years old with rusty wheel wells and doors. The imports usually rust the fastest, but people still love them and buy them.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="70-yenko-nova" data-cid="4773" data-time="1366508511"><p>

austex04 going in monday for warranty work .. lol wasnt my fault. bad 5th syncro.</p></blockquote>

that's good, mine does not grind at all. Let us know what they find when they take apart the gearcase

• 1 year later...

We live right on the ocean with waves breaking on the rocks at the end of the back yard (Coral Gables-Miami). Due to the salty spray 24/7 we have rust problems on all our metal stuff...garden furnature, tools in the garage etc. I worked on my past & current cars & smaller boat, so I have a simple lift beside the garage and in December I put the 2013 Spark on it to change the oil. Well to my surprize, the entire exhaust system from the engine to the stainless muffler was very rusted. Much more so than any other car I have owned after 2 yrs. The brake calipers and rear drums had zero rust because I had sprayed them with Turtle Tire Shine and the front calipers were still shiny silver.

To salvage the exhaust pipes, in December I sprayed them first with penetrating WD-40, then with the heavier 'Rust-Check' goo type spray. That was in December and now the spray goo has mostly burned off, but leaving enough of a water repelant coating that the rust has stopped..I sprayed some water on the pipes and it beaded quite well. I resprayed the pipes again with 'Rust-Check' and used the Turtle tire spray on other rust prone areas on the car as well as attaching a small tube to spray the inside of the doors thru the locking latch opening as well as the little water vents at the bottom and and back.

Just the fact that the aluminum engine valve cover and other aluminum engine parts had zero corrossion and were still shiny proves to me that the tire spray works really well and does not hurt rubber as well as not attracting dirt as oil does. The Calipers and brake drums were sprayed when the car was only a week out of the dealer and are 100% shiny and rust free as is the engine. I wish I had done the exhaust system upon delivery as well, even on new pipes, it seems the tire shine does not burn off the water repellant properties as was demonstrated by the one time spray on the calipers that can get very hot.

BTW: I have been using the Turtle brand of tire spray on all my cars in the past with excellent results..garden furnature and tools the same..no rust or residue at all. One small garden shovel that had only surface rust & was sanded to bare metal & was not treated and a similar one was sanded to bare metal, treated with the tire shine stuff and is still shiny metal where the untrated one is very rusty..both have not been used since treatment and are sitting side by side, exposed to the elements on our outdoor deck.

We have a large all steel hull cabin cruiser with a mostly Aluminum 'Peninsular' marine engine that I have also used the 'tire-shine' spray on the Aluminum parts and has zero corrosion on the sprayed areas.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead