Hey Greg,

the fibration is also a known problem. it could be the tires.

i'm not sure what al the other problems were.

but in the netherlands there were a couple with this problem and most where problems with the (stock) tires.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I changed the snow tires back to stock tires today and noticed a few things were rusting really bad (pictures to come). How many of you have a lot of rust on the front break rotors? Looking at the exh

more pictures on the netherlands club webpage: http://chevroletsparkclub.hyves.nl/album/70426038/Het_MdB_Album/qYRxWIf7/?pageid=ADTM6UXPEM0WSSKS8#mb=&__state__=24

I wouldn't throw the Spark under the bus just yet. All rotors have a little rust, it is the undercarriage of Gregs car that concerns me, I am curious as to what the dealers are going to find, as his

Posted Images

Those look really similar to what WeatherTech window visors look like, I could be wrong but I'm almost sure they are :)

After looking around, I think you are correct, unfortunately! (they are the most expensive!) lol BUT, they look pretty damn good......

That's the first time I've seen them installed. :shades:

yes i know him. he went with us on tour last time. (our next tour is 19 may)

i send him an message ;)

Thanks! :mail:

Hey Greg, thats to bad. i hope they will help u with that

@ jibb3r, your welcome :)

I don't understand why most of you having trouble finding those sunvisors. i think i could find 4 sellers fot this item.

personely i don't like the looks of it, but thats personal.

others in the netherlands also have them, and on there cars i think they look good :)

Dang. I can seriously say that this thread alone is really making me second guess whether I really want to get a spark or not. Rust at only 6 months to a year or two old and transmission problems already?! I wonder if I should be leaning towards a used Sonic hatchback instead. :-/ Makes me wonder if these cars are turning out to be modern day Yugos or what?!

the 5th grinding when i skip from 2nd to 5th (after accelerating "briskly" in 2nd)

That doesn't really sound like a good thing to do to the transmission. I'm not an experienced stick driver, but that sounds like some overly aggressive shifting.

Argh. This thread is just a huge downer for me. :nonono:

Edited by Trancer07
I changed the snow tires back to stock tires today and noticed a few things were rusting really bad (pictures to come). How many of you have a lot of rust on the front break rotors? Looking at the exhaust, the muffler connection to the pipe looks like it has been there for many years of New York winters, not just a single winter. And I washed it every day it was above 40 which means I washed the underside three or four times this year to remove the salt. That's more than any other car I have owned and they looked a lot better after an exhaust change and a single winter.

The break rotor has been rusting since I bought it, must be made out of junk metal, going to need to ask a dealer about it, but this might turn into a recall if enough people complain. I have never seen brake rotors rust like this, and I've used the cheapest parts you can buy at auto stores for brake jobs.

So what are other people seeing?

Mine rust right after I hand wash it! It's really noticeable with my new rims :(

I live in San Diego, so no salt here!

Dang. I can seriously say that this thread alone is really making me second guess whether I really want to get a spark or not. Rust at only 6 months to a year or two old and transmission problems already?! I wonder if I should be leaning towards a used Sonic hatchback instead. :-/ Makes me wonder if these cars are turning out to be modern day Yugos or what?!

I wouldn't throw the Spark under the bus just yet. All rotors have a little rust, it is the undercarriage of Gregs car that concerns me, I am curious as to what the dealers are going to find, as his case seems to be unique. The other folks that replied back to this post didn't report having the same rust issue. The dealer needs to come up with some kind of theory, as to what caused it, and make it right, and do whatever it takes to prevent it from happening again. Nothing less. Light rust is normal, his is excessive. As far as transmission problems, My 2000 Towncar blew a transmission at 14,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty, outside of that, great car. Lets give these Sparks a little time, to see how well they perform, and stand up, before we put them in the Yugo class. Keep the dealers on their toes, and work the warranties if need be. :)

I wouldn't throw the Spark under the bus just yet. All rotors have a little rust, it is the undercarriage of Gregs car that concerns me, I am curious as to what the dealers are going to find, as his case seems to be unique. The other folks that replied back to this post didn't report having the same rust issue. The dealer needs to come up with some kind of theory, as to what caused it, and make it right, and do whatever it takes to prevent it from happening again. Nothing less. Light rust is normal, his is excessive. As far as transmission problems, My 2000 Towncar blew a transmission at 14,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty, outside of that, great car. Lets give these Sparks a little time, to see how well they perform, and stand up, before we put them in the Yugo class. Keep the dealers on their toes, and work the warranties if need be. :)

i agree. there is always something wrong with somebody's car.

it just happend to be me and you. in the Spark Nederland there is just me and onor two other guys who have this problems.

there are 266 members in the club so 2 out of 266 isn't al that bad ;)

it just sucks that it happens to me XD

Yeah, as I said before. Not surprised by the rust on the rotors. I really hope Greg_E's car is just a lemon (I hope you don't mind me calling it this, Greg_E!).

Edited by Trancer07
Considering that the rear wiper motor sounds like it is starting to fail, I consider it a lemon.

From what I have read about your experience I would agree with your car being a lemon :( Sorry to hear what you are going through and just hope mine fairs a bit better (so far, so good :) )

I've never has problems like this on any of my other cars or motorcycles so I don't think the weather has much to do with it. Even the cheapo aftermarket rotors have been better than this, especially since things started to rust before the salt started being spread on the roads.

That doesn't really sound like a good thing to do to the transmission. I'm not an experienced stick driver, but that sounds like some overly aggressive shifting.

Argh. This thread is just a huge downer for me. :nonono:

no like.. take off.. merge into traffic.. 1st gear.. boom.. 2nd gear boom done... then what do you do.. your already up to about the speed to merge.. do you push in clutch put in 3rd then put in 4th. then in 5th.. now all you did was just wear out 3rd 4th and 5th right? I just skip to 5th cuz I'm ALREADY up to speed I don't want to do anything else but cruise.

Also if my Trans (5th gear) does go out you think warranty will cover it(I am no longer skipping gears or anything just to extend the life) however I don't want them to try and give me some stupid shit about driving agressively. I have that gay insurance camera that sees how I drive and I drive fantastic so proof is right there.

no like.. take off.. merge into traffic.. 1st gear.. boom.. 2nd gear boom done... then what do you do.. your already up to about the speed to merge.. do you push in clutch put in 3rd then put in 4th. then in 5th.. now all you did was just wear out 3rd 4th and 5th right? I just skip to 5th cuz I'm ALREADY up to speed I don't want to do anything else but cruise.

How fast are you going when you shift from 2nd to 5th? You must be doing some pretty high RPM's when you shift to 5th, otherwise i'd think you would be lugging the engine.

Edited by Trancer07
How fast are you going when you shift from 2nd to 5th? You must be doing some pretty high RPM's when you shift to 5th, otherwise i'd think you would be lugging the engine.

Nothing to do with the topic, but I just saw your signature... Fuel sipping... Love it!

Trancer.. ya..clutch is to the carpet... i push the clutch in at the same time my phone vibrates. so that was a LONG ass shift in my opinion... i waited still did it. think the dealer is going to say something about skipping gears and it being my fault?

and I'd like to think I can drive pretty DAMN well... used to row gears in my buddies S2K and with this thing im Granny shifting damn near about to start double cluthing for christ sakes.

Edited by 70-yenko-nova

As far as skipping gears at a high rpm and shifting into 5'th, that's hard on the syncros and clutch, big no no. The rust issues in the north is no surprise, folks on the Hyundai forum bring it up a lot, imports often have this problem due to thinner sheet metal and welding material. That's a ton of rust though, for just one winter. Does that car get parked in a heated garage? That would explain why that car in particular rusted faster than others.