How annoying is this light!!!

I don't understand why it needs to stay lit and be right in the middle of the dash like it is.

It's the only thing I hate about my new Spark.

Anyone know why it has to stay lit?

All I know is it is annoying and I want it gone. The only time I want to see it light up is when a passenger is stting in the seat, and it is broken. Do we have a driver airbag notification? Nope we sure don't, only get notified is one of the devices fails.

I don't understand why it needs to stay lit and be right in the middle of the dash like it is.

To let you know if you have a person or object that weighs enough, in the event of a frontal crash the airbag will deploy . Don't like light? Put 50lbs of stuff in seat, light will go off.. Do you find headlight on light annoying too?

Edited by dbnspark
All I know is it is annoying and I want it gone. The only time I want to see it light up is when a passenger is stting in the seat, and it is broken. Do we have a driver airbag notification? Nope we sure don't, only get notified is one of the devices fails.

You don't have a driver airbag notification light for the drivers seat because you can't drive the car from the passenger seat, if you could legally drive from passenger seat, there would be an airbag notification for the driver seat.

The thing I don't like about the passenger seat belt light is, when you start the car and someone sits in the seat it starts making the dinging noise and flashing to put on the belt. Mind you I still have not put the car in gear and its still in park. The drivers belt will ding after you start driving and that's how the passenger should be. It's not a big deal but if you get in and start the car and my wife gets in and is adjusting or putting something away it starts dinging way to early.

Yup, all it does is change from off to on when someone sits in the seat. And if the belt isn't buckled you get another warning then. It all has something to do with child seats, but there is no way to turn the airbag off manually so I don't see the point at all. If I could turn it off manually, then I would want a light to tell me it is off. Few other cars that I've been in care to tell you the passenger airbag is doing anything unless it has a manual control and then only lights a light when you turn the safety systems off.

And yes the daytime running lights do kind of make me mad, since the dash is always lit and the lights are on, I've found that more than a couple times I've pulled out of the parking lot at work without turning my lights on at night. I wish we had real daytime lights and not nearly good enough headlights running. I also wish the fog light indicator was on the main instrument cluster and not over in the center.

My beef with the light is it's SOO big and in middle of dash. WHY? Most cars I see have a small alert button/light lower on the dash and seriosly-if the airbag was not working- would I still not drive the car- it's the passenger seat. I will be getting some black paper or something to cover it.

I dont mind the daytime running light as much- although since the car is so new I kept thinking I had turned my lights ON by mistake.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sometimes if I put my work bag on the front passengers seat it will set of the passanger airbag light.. Annoying yes but I suppose thats how it is in todays world.

What I find annoying is that my bag cuases the "fasten your safety belt" light to start blinking and dinging. took care of the dinging, the blinking is still annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How did you eliminate the dinging?? :drool:

when I installed new speakers and my amp and sub I used only the rear lines. The ding only comes from the front speakers. I have found myself leaving my headlights on though because there are NO warning dings now lol. BUT when I have my bag on the passenger seat it doesnt make noise, so I am ok with it.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Guest Uksparky

I sorted this problem out with taking off my dashboard trim peeling back the black screen and smashing that bulb. Its so good driving at night and not having that glaring at me all the time 

• 9 months later...
On 3/22/2013 at 2:25 PM, RHCP said:

I know this is an old topic, but on my visits to the US I noticed the difference between the light in the Canadian model and the US model of the Spark.

My comments apply exclusively to the 2016 and later Spark models. If you are tired of seeing the blaring lit "PASSENGER AIRBAG" light and the words "ON" and "OFF" in bold, full led lighting, you do have one option. Order a module from Canada. The Canadian models have symbols that are less distracting at night. There are three symbols: one showing airbag on, one showing airbag disabled, and an unrelated symbol indicating the seatbelt is not connected in the passenger seat.

Assembly is simple, you take off the dome light cover as if you're changing the light, there are two screws that take the entire assembly down, you pop it off and pop in the plastic part. For $20 you can switch it out and not have this US mandated light pollution in your eye while you drive, yet you still have a fully functional device that shows when the airbag is enabled on the passenger side.

Its a brilliant solution for anyone who hasn't thought of it.

• 1 year later...