Just passing on some info about my build, in the hopes that maybe it can help someone else who is looking to build something out :)

My goal is to be able to carry my mountain bike, and possibly a basket (if I can find one that works well) to put a full size spare in.

Yes, I know it kills hwy MPG, but I get on the highway maybe once a month...so I'm not too worried about it.

Chevy has an OEM set of bars that runs about $275-$300. Thats absurd. So I'm going my own route.

First step of my rad roof rack build, is getting some cross bars.

Bought these on eBay for $50 and I am happy with the purchase. I did a test fit, taped off the appropriate length of the bars and trimmed them to better fit the car.

ndsirXy.jpg

eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370645979616?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

These are sold as "UNIVERSAL ALUMINUM LOCKING CROSS BARS" and are sold by many sellers. I just snagged the best deal I could and went with it.

Next up is a fairing and bike carrier. Will follow up when I install those and get some better pics.

Edited by Lazerface

Thanks Walt.

I wanna say the bars were 43", and I trimmed them down about 7.5".

The bars measure 35.5" now. I probably should have gone down another half inch to get them a little more flush, but meh :p

I think they look a lot better than having 4 inches sticking out on each side.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how are they working out? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on those crossbars, I really have nothing to carry, but down the road, who knows? The railings are useless without them. Besides, the price is right, and they look good.

Have you noticed any wind noise, rattles ? Or anything else detrimental before adding the fairing? Have you installed the fairing yet? Do you leave them mounted, or just for the bike? Sorry for all the questions, Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

They are working out well so far. Ive only been on one outing with the bike, but no issues.

The wind noise was definitely increased, but only at 60mph+. I did splurge for the Thule fairing, and it fits these bars perfectly.

After adding the fairing, I don't even know it's there any more. Its a little more than I'd like to spend, but its worth it IMO.

Im still well below what it would have cost just to get the crossbars from Chevy :)

Cross Bars = $50

Thule Big Mouth Carrier = $45

Thule 870 Fairing = $50

$145 total for the setup.

nGm8UTs.jpg

Final product looks great! Forget dealer prices, they are ridiculous, I wanted side mouldings to avoid the dreaded supermarket dings, the dealer was off the charts, I checked ebay, and saw the factory color ones they sell, I liked that layout better. Printed out the picture, bought 25 ft. of 3/4" black vinyl molding for $20, at the same time, grabbed some black smoked vent shades for $40. Took the whole mess to a local body shop, as we were hovering around 20 degrees everyday, too cold for me to apply, and he did a great job, applying everything for $25.

Thanks for the pic, I am ordering the rails today.

They are working out well so far. Ive only been on one outing with the bike, but no issues.

The wind noise was definitely increased, but only at 60mph+. I did splurge for the Thule fairing, and it fits these bars perfectly.

After adding the fairing, I don't even know it's there any more. Its a little more than I'd like to spend, but its worth it IMO.

Im still well below what it would have cost just to get the crossbars from Chevy :)

Cross Bars = $50

Thule Big Mouth Carrier = $45

Thule 870 Fairing = $50

$145 total for the setup.

nGm8UTs.jpg

Looks fantastic.....can't wait to order mine :D

I got mine today, and installed them earlier this evening. I measured mine at 52", I shortened them by 8 1/2" off the front bar, and 10 1/2" off the rear bar, and they fit perfectly. Apparently there is a 2" runout between front and rear. They are really nice quality, you can't go wrong for the price. Nice find Lazer, Thanks. :hammer_self:

So I took the car on the parkway on Sunday, had her up to about 65, and the rack was nice and quiet, as soon as I climbed up to 70, I thought I went into a sudden thunderstorm. I mean it was howling, big time. I got home, and went online looking for a fairing, I googled the thule 870, discontinued, and replaced by the 870XT, it seems the going price is $85+ shipping, more than I want to spend for a little piece of plastic, and a couple of clamps. i found a place selling returns, open box, etc., and scored a 31" Inno fairing for $39. They claim like new, all hardware, instructions, etc. We'll see.

sweet. as long as it fits the square bars, i dunno why it wouldnt work.

yeah the fairing is a must if you do 70. the local tollway here is 70, and if i didnt get on them every now and then i wouldnt NEED it...but i like the way it looks too :p

• 1 month later...

Ordered mine today, should be in on Tuesday and hopefully get it installed as well on the same day....so excited :D

Went with all Thule equipment

- Fairing

- Foot Pack

- Locking kit

- Crossbars

- Cargo box (Spring/Summer/Autumn accessory then changing over to snowboard mount)

Whatd you end up spending? For comparison's sake

I wanna see the box on top!

They thought all the pieces would be here on Tuesday, but now that has changed to Friday >.< Oh well as long as it goes on before the weekend this gal will be happy :)

The break down of the Thule products I bought in CDN:

Fairing - $99.99

Lock Cores - $69.99

Load Bars - $104.99

Foot Pack - $229.99

Cargo Box (Model Ascent 1600) - $649.99

Subtotal - $1154.95 + tax