Unintentional body mods - Spark vs. Deer

Just for you to all remember, here's what it looked like up until the ride home tonight:

foglights.jpg

bright.jpg

And now after meeting a deer on the road with a very nice State trooper right behind me (he was indeed very understanding and helpfull) here's the new look:

deer1_zpsc9b28721.jpg

deer2_zps556c11e3.jpg

deer3_zps43f2484d.jpg

Yes that's hair in the bead of the tire

deer4_zps5206ec92.jpg

deer5_zps4758f5b2.jpg

deer6_zps81872534.jpg

deer7_zps4d6ada6b.jpg

Bent fender, busted front cover and foam, alignment is actually better now, doesn't pull to the left as bad which means something is messed. A/C condensor bent from the light and probably let all the gas out. Fog light trim wrecked, driving lights wrecked.

Oddly enough, hood seems perfect, headlight alignment seems perfect.

This is what I get for buying a new car. Guess it is time to contact Korean Auto Imports about one of their body kits! Not going to pay the same amount for a stock part when I can upgrade the look with aftermarket.

Deer was dead, threw it across the road.

I did send an email to Korean Auto to make sure the body kits really fit our 2013 models, repair shop said he wouldn't have a problem with using a body kit vs. factory parts so now all I need to do is pick one. Looks like the choices are more limited right now so it may need to be factory parts.

If you haven't had a need for this, you might want to be aware that the nose dives a lot under panic breaking, thought for sure the deer would have been coming in the windshield, not sure how that failed to happen.

Have a couple small new scratches on the hood, the fender is bent and the fender is pushed back. Trying to get an estimate Wednesday morning. Just finished working on the civilian accident report form that MUST be filed within 10 or suspension of my license! Now the wonderful people of New York get to pay to process two pieces of paperwork for the same accident, and probably the same form but police version has an A after the number). I'll have to scan the form, it's kind of over the top for a "simple" car/deer accident.

I did some digging and most of the other kits made by other companies still require the stock bumper cover. No answer from Korean Auto, have to dig the email I used last time and try again, and it might be that they are somehow using the stock cover and just putting grills in it and an airdam under it. I can't locate the NEF Design website again, need to spend more time on this later tonight to see if I can find it again.

If all of these are just an airdam and side/rear molding, then they won't be doing me any good with the wrecked bumper cover.

Still no word on whether that body kit is just the airdam or if it is the entire cover, going to have to go with stock parts for now I guess.

Estimate is $2790.00 and change including a new fender. Apparently the check is in the mail, need to get the shop to order everything to make a timely repair when it actually goes in.

Edited by Greg_E
  • 2 weeks later...

Due to lack of full bumper cover kits, mine is going back to stock. Dropped it off this morning and saw a bunch of the parts sitting waiting for it, and was told two other customers canceled appointments due to impending snow storm doom! Should have it back in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after 10 full days for a 4 day repair I finally have it back... Not entirely happy and need to talk to the body shop manager when he returns next week, there is a money discrepancy that needs to be addressed and the lack of broken parts returned so I can measure them for other uses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To finish this repair out, I just ordered two sets of driving lights to try and figure out which will fit and function best, the old lights are no longer available so I needed to go with something new.

#1 is Hella FF50

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=177

#2 is the new Hella FF40

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=5232

The FF40 might fit in the top part of the grill, then I would just need to cut out the grill a little for the light to get out. The FF50 is almost going to require cutting the lower grill so they can be a little recessed, they are a very deep fixture. The FF50 is supposed to have more light so it is probably the fixture of choice, but still not going to produce as much as the old FF200 I had before. I see making some custom mounting brackets in my near future, this is always the part that takes so long.

Edited by Greg_E