• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Decided to make a separate thread for the upgrade photos. Product Hideaway Fronts Rears Wiring Sub

Hideaway Install

It is real easy to hook up. I ended up buying the Metra speaker adapters so I did not have to cut any factory wires. No you do not need to remove the radio either. There are 6 wires that you need t

Posted Images

Don't want to be a downer, but It is highly unlikely all four blew, if it happens again you might want to look at the radio....

I havent put in the rear 4x6 yet, just replaced the 4" fronts last week

Will be putting in the rears in a bit

I stalled the Kicker speakers. Went and opened my door today with the headlights still on. Usually it has a "ding-ding-ding" noise. Well today it is more of a "ping" noise. Like the speaker is blown. Turned on the music and it sounds horrible through the drivers side front speaker. And ideas to anyone what is going on here?? Also, is the ding only through the front drivers side speaker or is it all speakers for you?

I stalled the Kicker speakers. Went and opened my door today with the headlights still on. Usually it has a "ding-ding-ding" noise. Well today it is more of a "ping" noise. Like the speaker is blown. Turned on the music and it sounds horrible through the drivers side front speaker. And ideas to anyone what is going on here?? Also, is the ding only through the front drivers side speaker or is it all speakers for you?

Yes front driver speaker only. Maybe you have the wires backwards? Try swapping front speakers. I know the ding ding noise is louder when I installed mine. I think it's due to being a clearer and better speaker.

hey bluer

so you powered the sub from the rear speakers????

you didnt cut anything from the stereo side? I have an ls and i bought a dual 8' sub and wondering g if i can do the same

http://www.frys.com/product/6388611;jsessionid=quNpeNGpw82rtlykfvobEg__.node4?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

that's my sub hoping i can do the same from the rear speakers

I looked at that subs manual. You will need to hook up the remote turn in wire.

The Kicker Hideaway has the option if using the high level inputs at the remote turn on. There is a selector switch. This way when the radio turns on the speaker wires get a voltage and the amp senses this and turns on.

By using the rear speakers is not powering the sub but instead getting the signal. So there is no need for RCA wires to get the signal. I bought the Metra speaker wires and used those on all 4 speakers. Then at the rear speakers I cut the metra harness and split it. This allows the signal to the speaker and to the high level on the amp. The same thing on both rear speakers. So you have a total of 4 wires going to the amp for a signal.

Then all you need is power to battery, fused at battery. Then ground wire close to amp, seat bolt works good.

This is why I purchased all Kicker with the Hideaway. It's so simple to hook up with no issue. I was going with a box like yours or the Sound Ordnance 8 inch sub box. But I did not want to lose any space.

Down the road I might put in a 10 I ch kicker with 5 channel amp, but right now very satisfied with this setup.

I will try that. I will switch the wires around and see how it sounds. The ding is WAY louder then before in mine too. Almost to loud haha

You will get used to the ding. If you have the Mylink made sure the ding volume is set to low not high.

Check back to let us know if switching wires or speakers changed anything. It will help you rule out problems.

Here is a photo if the rear harness in passenger side. You can see the Metra harness that is zip tied to the factory. I did this so it can fall out no clip. Then the 2 red connectors go to the Kicker rear speaker ( 4x6) and the grey wires go up behind the panel and to the Kicker Hideaway for the signal.

photo-2.jpg

Is this something you could produce and sell on eBay? Don't know if it is worth your time but seems like there might be a small market. Maybe see if you can sell the design to kicker and let them make it and sell it, or maybe Metra would be interested in making and selling the mounting board.

I used 2 pairs of the Metra harnesses. 2 for the front and 2 for the rear. This was so I did not have to cut the factory wires. Also this allowed be to tap into the factory radio signal from the rear speakers. This will depend on how your amp and sub will be set up. My Kicker Hideaway is an all in one unit. It has a switch to select 12 volt or high level remote turn on. So it depends on what equipment from radio, sub, and amp that you will be using.

• 6 months later...

I used 2 pairs of the Metra harnesses. 2 for the front and 2 for the rear. This was so I did not have to cut the factory wires. Also this allowed be to tap into the factory radio signal from the rear speakers. This will depend on how your amp and sub will be set up. My Kicker Hideaway is an all in one unit. It has a switch to select 12 volt or high level remote turn on. So it depends on what equipment from radio, sub, and amp that you will be using.

Bluer, what is the point of grabbing the information off the front speakers with the metra harness? If I understand correctly, the information coming from the rear speakers should be enough to feed the sub?

Or was the front harness just to ease the installation?

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of a speaker sounding blown. I put in some aftermarket speakers and just squeezed the stock

crimps to fit. A few days later I heard some breaking up or a coil rubbing type sound. I cut the factory crimps off

and used the aftermarket ones (one is small and one larger). Well a few days later one speaker didn't work at all!

So I ran new wires from the back speakers all the way to the radio. I hope that will fix it!

Not sure what's going on? Maybe a short in the factory harness?...

• 6 months later...

Ok please forgive me, but I have looked over this post several times. I see a lot of people talking about a sub but I don't see a sub anywhere...I see the components and the amp and the clean install, but where the hell is the sub at? I am fixing to build a box for my 12 and I haven't looked up the airspace for it yet, but I believe I can build the box and fit it in the "spare tire well." I am running the same kicker components with a AVHX5600BHS head unit, a GMA3602 amp for the components and GMD8400M amp for my TSW304R sub.

I am going to go with a similar look without exposing the amp as was done in this work up and I am going to install a cooling fan in each corner to relieve the amp heat. But if anyone has built a box in the spare tire well please give input, dimensions of your box, airspace you needed for your sub, etc. Pictures would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok please forgive me, but I have looked over this post several times. I see a lot of people talking about a sub but I don't see a sub anywhere...I see the components and the amp and the clean install, but where the hell is the sub at? I am fixing to build a box for my 12 and I haven't looked up the airspace for it yet, but I believe I can build the box and fit it in the "spare tire well." I am running the same kicker components with a AVHX5600BHS head unit, a GMA3602 amp for the components and GMD8400M amp for my TSW304R sub.

I am going to go with a similar look without exposing the amp as was done in this work up and I am going to install a cooling fan in each corner to relieve the amp heat. But if anyone has built a box in the spare tire well please give input, dimensions of your box, airspace you needed for your sub, etc. Pictures would be great!

There is no separate amp and sub. The unit I installed was Kickers hideaway unit. It is a amp and 8" sub in that small compact design. I still have all my stuff under the hideaway unit.

I like what you did with the bass knob!

Where did you bought all the system and how much did it cost you?

I got all the speakers and hideaway from Best Buy. I went with them because I had a $350 gift card.

For the hideaway, speakers, and wood/carpet it was just under $500.

I still love and enjoy the setup everyday. It's not shake the car beside you but a pleasant mix that is enjoyable. I used to show vehicles and SPL contests so I'm full aware of potential but not looking for that here, daily driver.

• 2 months later...

bluer how much did you spend in materials

Carpet was $20, but I tried others so its more for me. Lol. Then one 2x4 sheet of 1/2 inch MDF, $8.50. $3.50 for one piece of 1x4x8. Then pint of contact cement, chip brush, some screws, and staples in the staple gun. As for wire loom and crimps I had them. It was very easy to do and cheap. Total well under $100 and a afternoon of work.

Looks like a very ambitious project! Excellent work and it looks like it was done very clean and professional.

Looks like a very ambitious project! Excellent work and it looks like it was done very clean and professional.

Thanks. I love the whole setup better than stock. The little sub added really rounds out the whole system to sound more full and dynamic. It's going on almost 2 years and still great. I just don't push it hard so it will last.