Synthetic or standard oil?

• 2 months later...

I'm wanting to use m1 0w30, but the manual says "0w30 may be used in cold climate". What I'm after is the fact it acts like a 30 weight when hot, and may provide less sheering at high rpms in high ambient temperature. The 0w30 is also dexos approved, just like the 5w20 is. Interesting how that Spark sold in other countries says 5w30 and even 10w30, but not here. 20 weight is quite thin at +200 degrees, and more likely to shear than 30 weight. I want the best wear protection, not just fuel economy.

Looking at the latest list from GM, most of the Xw30 and Xw20 Mobile1 oils are now approved, I guess they did a new licensing deal to force GM into approving these others versions.

Has anyone switched to a Xw30 oil and what has it done to fuel economy? I'm at 50% on my oil life right now, not sure when I want to change it again and I agree that I think the 30 weight would be better but I'm concerned about fuel economy too since anyone looking at my fuelly stats will see I run a lot of gas through my car.

Edited by Greg_E